IGNORED

The 2017 Newport Cup at Talamore Resort (Pinehurst, NC)

iacas
Note: This thread is 2349 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

3 hours ago, iacas said:

You've got it, Joel!

As in 2015, active participation is one of the criteria. :-) </hint>

I need to make more of an effort there, no doubt about that. :-D

Now, since I have one achievement already, how do I get one for my copy of LSW and breaking 80? I can post a photo of the book and a scorecard if you'd like. :-P

- Joel

TM M3 10.5 | TM M3 17 | Adams A12 3-4 hybrid | Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 5-PW

Vokey 50/54/60 | Odyssey Stroke Lab 7s | Bridgestone Tour B XS

Home Courses - Willow Run & Bakker Crossing

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I would absolutely be interested.

Pinehurst is already my neck of the woods just about an hour away by car, and I have not played any of those courses yet.

I'm not a single digit golfer yet but I do believe if I get going on my practice and work hard in the early spring that it possible for me to get there.

As some of you may already know, I currently don't keep a HCI. But, this may be the kick in the pants I need to keep an honest HC all rounds that I get to play with others (most of my golf is as a single, currently). When I plug in my solo rounds I'm sitting right at about a 12 HCI but of course that's not a usable number. I belong to a golf club and I will try getting into one of our leagues as soon as this cold weather is gone, that way I can have more rounds I can record and get a real index :)

I improved tremendously this past year. Shooting mid 90's to mid to low 80's. My glaring weaknesses are not so much in my full swing, so I certainly have the ability (so long as I have the WILL POWER) to improve my game substantially if I get my practice in the right gear.

I would need to learn more about whatever format we would play ahead of time because I'm not experienced in tournament golf.

So if you guys would be interested in having one of "those guys" in the group, barring passing the prerequisite threshold, consider me! :-P 

Price would be fine for me.

D: :tmade: R1 Stiff @ 10* 3W: :tmade: AeroBurner TP 15* 2H: :adams: Super 9031 18* 3-SW: :tmade: R9 Stiff P: :titleist: :scotty_cameron: Futura X7M 35"

Ball: Whatever. Something soft. Kirklands Signature are pretty schweeeet at the moment!

Bag: :sunmountain: C130 Cart Bag Push Cart: :sunmountain: Micro Cart Sport

2 hours ago, jkelley9 said:

I would need to learn more about whatever format we would play ahead of time because I'm not experienced in tournament golf.

In 2015 we played 18 holes of foursomes (alternate shot) and 18 holes of fourball (better-ball of partners) each day for two days, then single match play in the last day.  It was interesting being partnered with a "stranger", but lots of fun.  Keep working on your game, and make your handicap "real", and see what happens.  

• Upvote 2

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

4 hours ago, jkelley9 said:

learn more about whatever format

As @DaveP043 mentioned the format used in 2015, Erik could throw in an Alternate Shot into the mix.... in 2017.
Or heaven forbid a two-man scramble ...  :-P

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, Club Rat said:

As @DaveP043 mentioned the format used in 2015, Erik could throw in an Alternate Shot into the mix.... in 2017.
Or heaven forbid a two-man scramble ...  :-P

We had alternate shot.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

31 minutes ago, iacas said:

We had alternate shot.

In the afternoon rounds?

I thought we did, Dave did not mention it in his post.

You'll probably mix it up this year, or are the same formats a tradition?

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, Club Rat said:

In the afternoon rounds?

I thought we did, Dave did not mention it in his post.

He did actually.

2 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

In 2015 we played 18 holes of foursomes (alternate shot) and 18 holes of fourball (better-ball of partners) each day for two days, then single match play in the last day.  It was interesting being partnered with a "stranger", but lots of fun.  Keep working on your game, and make your handicap "real", and see what happens.  

There you go. :-)

3 minutes ago, Club Rat said:

You'll probably mix it up this year, or are the same formats a tradition?

They'll be the same. Like the Ryder Cup.

• Upvote 1

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I'm new to the site (kind of, hadn't logged in for over a year and forgot my prior log in info), but would be interested depending on the dates (the first couple weeks in Oct are always pretty busy with the job).

15 hours ago, Club Rat said:

In the afternoon rounds?

As @iacas said, we did play alternate shot (foursomes) each of the first two days.  On the Thursday, we played it in the afternoon.  On the second day, in order to maintain a better pace of play, we did the foursome matches in the morning.  I'm not sure how the schedule will work in 2017, but playing foursome matches as the very first match would be interesting.  At least this time, if I'm lucky enough to be invited, I'll have met a couple of the players before.

Dave

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 

• Administrator
22 hours ago, jkelley9 said:

I would absolutely be interested.

I've added the badge for you.

8 hours ago, Denny Bang Bang said:

I'm new to the site (kind of, hadn't logged in for over a year and forgot my prior log in info), but would be interested depending on the dates (the first couple weeks in Oct are always pretty busy with the job).

I've also added the badge for you, though bear in mind a big part of who we choose is going to be based largely on participation, too. We want to get to know the people we'll be going into battle with for a few days. :-)

56 minutes ago, iacas said:

I've also added the badge for you, though bear in mind a big part of who we choose is going to be based largely on participation, too. We want to get to know the people we'll be going into battle with for a few days. :-)

I do understand.  Thanks for the badge, and consideration.

Although I do miss the Northeast (I'm originally from NY), it should probably be a Western badge.

• Administrator
10 minutes ago, Denny Bang Bang said:

I do understand.  Thanks for the badge, and consideration.

Although I do miss the Northeast (I'm originally from NY), it should probably be a Western badge.

Yep, sorry. That's fixed.

This thing is pretty cool. I will reserve my possible participation for a future cup as i am a few strokes out of the requirement and would love to look at this as a means to get my butt into the indoor range now to practice my swing and get on the right track. 

Looking forward to seeing the outcomes of the matches. any chance of doing some live streaming of the matches? Not sure if that was done last year, but that would be pretty cool.

"Swing with a Purpose" 

What's In The Bag:
Woods: Driver: RBZ stage 2 10* 3 wood: RBZ 15* 5 wood: NIke vapor speed 19*
Irons/ wedges: Rbladez tour 4-PW; Mizuno MP-T4 52*, 56*, CG11 60*
Putter: Odyssey White ice #9

17 minutes ago, Bryan Kasper said:

any chance of doing some live streaming of the matches? Not sure if that was done last year, but that would be pretty cool.

Last year, Erik (and Mike too I think) tweeted the status, and a couple of us would take the tweets and turn the results into posts here, with a scoreboard and photos. We thought easier to see updates here on TST than to go to other social media. Was fun to follow along. See this thread.

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

7 minutes ago, RandallT said:

Last year, Erik (and Mike too I think) tweeted the status, and a couple of us would take the tweets and turn the results into posts here, with a scoreboard and photos. We thought easier to see updates here on TST than to go to other social media. Was fun to follow along. See this thread.

It was fun for me, as a participant, to read once I got back home!

Dave

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, Club Rat said:

@RandallT A "Live Leaderboard" would also be cool !!! - Hint, Hint, Hint.

Gonna be tough for him to do that if he's playing.

• Upvote 1

Note: This thread is 2349 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!