IGNORED

Okay, I've got my launch monitor, how can I use it most efficiently?

Lihu
Note: This thread is 2303 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

6 minutes ago, Lihu said:

I'm just looking at some of my results from last night.

Once you see all the spin and carry numbers and taking partial shots, there's a crap of variables to choose from. Flight trajectory, spin, loft etc.

What's the best way to hit 50 yards? There seems to be a whole ton of ways to do it and I have no idea where to start?

If you didn't skull it or chunk it, you hit it right! :-P

There are tons of ways to do everything, it depends on the scenario.  For 50yds, I'm most likely using a 60 wedge.  So long as all the numbers are similar enough, that's all that matters.  You want consistency when working with LM's. If you are consistent, take it to the course and drop a few balls at 50yds to see what the outcome is in vivo.

Numbers wise, I'd focus on spin, distance, and trajectory for 50yds.  If those are consistent, it's good.

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

12 minutes ago, phillyk said:

If you didn't skull it or chunk it, you hit it right! :-P

Very funny. . . :-D

The thing I want to know is how should I determine the optimal swing and club I should choose based upon the LM readings? Do I try hundreds of things until I get something with the least dispersion over different operating conditions? I really have no idea how to use this data. . .

There are tons of ways to do everything, it depends on the scenario.  For 50yds, I'm most likely using a 60 wedge.  So long as all the numbers are similar enough, that's all that matters.  You want consistency when working with LM's. If you are consistent, take it to the course and drop a few balls at 50yds to see what the outcome is in vivo.

I agree, that's my likely club to use from 50 yards as well. Looks like a 1/2 to 3/4 effort should get me in the ballpark. What about 60 yards, then 70 etc? And of course how to I control my pitch shots? So far, it seems like I'd need to hit one shot on the course first then make my actual shot. It's like I need to practice on the course constantly to get the right "feel" for the right distances. I'm trying to figure out a way to do it so I'm at least in the ballpark like +/-10 yards coming in cold. I hate it when my partners hit within 10 yards from 150 or more yards then I can't get inside them from 40 to 80. :~(

Numbers wise, I'd focus on spin, distance, and trajectory for 50yds.  If those are consistent, it's good.

What kinds of numbers would look look good from the LM?

Edited by Lihu

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

32 minutes ago, Lihu said:

Very funny. . . :-D

The thing I want to know is how should I determine the optimal swing and club I should choose based upon the LM readings? Do I try hundreds of things until I get something with the least dispersion over different operating conditions? I really have no idea how to use this data. . .

I agree, that's my likely club to use from 50 yards as well. Looks like a 1/2 to 3/4 effort should get me in the ballpark. What about 60 yards, then 70 etc? And of course how to I control my pitch shots? So far, it seems like I'd need to hit one shot on the course first then make my actual shot. It's like I need to practice on the course constantly to get the right "feel" for the right distances. I'm trying to figure out a way to do it so I'm at least in the ballpark like +/-10 yards coming in cold. I hate it when my partners hit within 10 yards from 150 or more yards then I can't get inside them from 40 to 80. :~(

What kinds of numbers would look look good from the LM?

https://blog.trackmangolf.com/pitch-like-a-pro-the-numbers/

I just randomly searched this, but he gives you the LM numbers in the beginning of the video, and he goes through his method for pitches.

The way I got my numbers was through a clock-like routine.

• Informative 1

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

• Administrator

Covered in LSW @Lihu. I just map my standard 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, and full wedges. For tweeners I grip down a little or use a tweener length swing.

• Informative 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

45 minutes ago, iacas said:

Covered in LSW @Lihu. I just map my standard 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, and full wedges. For tweeners I grip down a little or use a tweener length swing.

Thanks, but as I've posted some results in my swing thread, my variation is quite high with even my 3/4 to possibly full swing 56 wedge. All over the place. . .

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

• Administrator
9 hours ago, Lihu said:

Thanks, but as I've posted some results in my swing thread, my variation is quite high with even my 3/4 to possibly full swing 56 wedge. All over the place. . .

That may speak to your relative skill level, proprioception (for swinging to the same spot each time), or how good you are at "finding the ball" (on the sweet spot).

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

36 minutes ago, iacas said:

That may speak to your relative skill level, proprioception (for swinging to the same spot each time), or how good you are at "finding the ball" (on the sweet spot).

Makes sense. I’m definitely not very consistent at this point, but still feel much better about my game now. 

Kind of why having a LM is good! :-)

Edited by Lihu

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Hey all, There's a combine.

I'm going to try to join it. . .everyone with a monitor should join it too!

Looks to be fun! :-)

image.thumb.png.1321cf7034f73bd4de0d0219fba8c728.png

• Thumbs Up 1

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

8 hours ago, Lihu said:

Hey all, There's a combine.

I'm going to try to join it. . .everyone with a monitor should join it too!

Looks to be fun! :-)

image.thumb.png.1321cf7034f73bd4de0d0219fba8c728.png

I don't think you can do that right now - it doesn't measure side spin. I vaguely remember reading that they were working on something for Mevo users, but I don't think it's out yet.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

Used the Mevo for wedge practice today. I basically start with taking it back to belt height and gradually lengthen how far I take it back. I try to get in a groove with relating the length of the backswings to the distance I'm hitting it. Then towards the end I start over at the bottom of the "ladder" and try to hit three or four specific distances.

55 degree. Hitting 50, 55, 60, 65 and 70 yard shots.

Screen Shot 2017-12-14 at 9.25.35 PM.png

60 degree. Hitting 40, 50, 55 and 60 yard shots.

Screen Shot 2017-12-14 at 9.24.50 PM.png

• Like 1

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

These are full swing wedges, and I seriously don't understand how I'm getting 0.87 SF numbers?

My club is traveling faster than the ball? Possibly hitting fat and getting under the ball?

image.thumb.png.270353dd046bc840a0acfd5377b35597.png

image.thumb.png.d877865c1c11952cf93abca41bf5da67.png

image.thumb.png.9113cfdbfa5c707e10d31818131a2a2a.png

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

• Administrator
31 minutes ago, Lihu said:

These are full swing wedges, and I seriously don't understand how I'm getting 0.87 SF numbers?

My club is traveling faster than the ball? Possibly hitting fat and getting under the ball?

Those are not great… Smash on a PGA Tour PW is 1.23.

25 minutes ago, iacas said:

Those are not great… Smash on a PGA Tour PW is 1.23.

Thanks, yes they're horrible.

I think I'm hitting fat. Getting under the ball with wedges and hitting the ground before the ball with 3W and probably hybrid. Definitely not clean. :-(

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

• 2 weeks later...

I'm actually happy having this thing, but unhappy that it found so many flaws in my swing and ball striking. If I can get consistent with my strikes, I feel like it will help me drop my HC a lot.

The LM tells me I'm worse more than I thought. I knew I was inconsistent, but what an eye opener that I was this inconsistent. Time to get and build more training aids.

Edited by Lihu

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

On 27/12/2017 at 3:45 PM, Lihu said:

I'm actually happy having this thing, but unhappy that it found so many flaws in my swing and ball striking. If I can get consistent with my strikes, I feel like it will help me drop my HC a lot.

The LM tells me I'm worse more than I thought. I knew I was inconsistent, but what an eye opener that I was this inconsistent. Time to get and build more training aids.

Or, you could look at it that it'll help you track where you are now vs. where you will be. Work on what you need to, then go back to the Mevo and see if it's helping - far better than what we usually do, which is just assume/hope that it is getting better!

Currently focusing on: Key 4 - shorter backswing.

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

3 hours ago, b101 said:

Or, you could look at it that it'll help you track where you are now vs. where you will be. Work on what you need to, then go back to the Mevo and see if it's helping - far better than what we usually do, which is just assume/hope that it is getting better!

Definitely, it’s a great tool for this. I actually can see myself wondering how the heck I did without it in a couple months. :-D

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Didn't pay much attention to the data from the last few sessions but it'll upload to the account. Will definitely look back at it to seen the difference between the numbers as time progresses. 

It is a pain having to mark the clubs for your shots though. Probably better to do it while you're at the range so you don't forget.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

2 hours ago, nevets88 said:

It is a pain having to mark the clubs for your shots though. Probably better to do it while you're at the range so you don't forget.

Most definitely, just hit the club on the upper right then select the club and start hitting. Just keep switching clubs throughout the session.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Note: This thread is 2303 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!