IGNORED

Okay, I've got my launch monitor, how can I use it most efficiently?

Lihu
Note: This thread is 2311 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

A bunch of us have gotten in on the deal Erik made for the Mevo, and I'm kind of wondering how to best use this data?

The same bunch probably use the GG and other tracking systems as well, so for the most part know our distances to some degree of accuracy.

There are a couple scenarios for practicing with irons that I can see, but am not really sure if the first one makes any sense or not? In the first case, I can see a launch monitor being used to fine tune what the swing should feel like and possibly practicing my irons to that end. Meaning that I try to maintain a certain feeling on a "normal" swing. The trick is to repeat that same feel on the course without the aid of a monitor. Case 2 is self evident. Just hit as far as you can without jumping out of your shoes, and looking at the consistency of those carry yardages.

In both cases, you'd need to choke up and let out some club to accommodate different lies, and use that data somehow? As of this writing, I'm not really sure how?

Basically, now that we have a launch monitor, how can we best make use of it in our practice?

• Upvote 2

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

23 minutes ago, Lihu said:

A bunch of us have gotten in on the deal Erik made for the Mevo, and I'm kind of wondering how to best use this data?

The same bunch probably use the GG and other tracking systems as well, so for the most part know our distances to some degree of accuracy.

There are a couple scenarios for practicing with irons that I can see, but am not really sure if the first one makes any sense or not? In the first case, I can see a launch monitor being used to fine tune what the swing should feel like and possibly practicing my irons to that end. Meaning that I try to maintain a certain feeling on a "normal" swing. The trick is to repeat that same feel on the course without the aid of a monitor. Case 2 is self evident. Just hit as far as you can without jumping out of your shoes, and looking at the consistency of those carry yardages.

In both cases, you'd need to choke up and let out some club to accommodate different lies, and use that data somehow? As of this writing, I'm not really sure how?

Basically, now that we have a launch monitor, how can we best make use of it in our practice?

For me a monitor is about hitting balls inside in the winter.  Being in SC I don't think that is your issue.  I will give one thing to be cautious about.  You can get Launch Monitor disease.  It causes you to focus on distance above all else.  For driver I would look at launch angle and spin.  Irons Launch angle and spin also.  It tells purity of strike for one.  And you can gauge if you are flipping and know if you are lowering your launch angle to reduce said flipping.

• Informative 1

2 minutes ago, inthecup said:

For me a monitor is about hitting balls inside in the winter.  Being in SC I don't think that is your issue.  I will give one thing to be cautious about.  You can get Launch Monitor disease.  It causes you to focus on distance above all else.  For driver I would look at launch angle and spin.  Irons Launch angle and spin also.  It tells purity of strike for one.  And you can gauge if you are flipping and know if you are lowering your launch angle to reduce said flipping.

Hey, thanks. Stupid me, didn't even really think about not being able to hit outdoors in the "Winter". I've completely lost sight of seasons living down here, and can picture all the northerners thinking what an idiot I am. :doh:

Good point about the LM disease. The first thing I was thinking of is using it to make my swing more efficient. That is, take less effort and try to get the same distances. Once I see progress on that end, I don't see any other types of things I can do with it. I also wonder if there are any compensations needed for range balls or not?

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

1. 3/4 and 1/2 wedge/iron distances
  2. A better sense for true carry distances (GG does not give you this information)
  3. Driver launch conditions - it doesn't have angle of attack, but it has launch angle and spin rate. You can work on fine tuning from there.

Those are the three things that I have seen the Mevo most useful for. I suppose you could also work on some speed training as well because it tells you swing speed.

• Informative 1

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

13 hours ago, DeadMan said:
  1. 3/4 and 1/2 wedge/iron distances

Did a bunch of these with mostly wedges and one 8i shot. Pretty accurate.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

This is a good question and thread.   :beer:

I'd love to hear from @mvmac, @iacas, and other instructors how an amateur could/should use/benefit from this kind of technology enough to justify the expense.  Especially in light of some of the limitations that the less expensive models have.

• Like 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

2 hours ago, David in FL said:

I'd love to hear from @mvmac, @iacas, and other instructors how an amateur could/should use/benefit from this kind of technology enough to justify the expense.  Especially in light of some of the limitations that the less expensive models have.

Joining in to hear those responses as well..I have considered buying one but I am currently trying to justify the expense.

Edited by TN94z

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

• Administrator
2 hours ago, David in FL said:

@mvmac is not an instructor, to be clear. He's an amateur golfer. :-)

I don't think this needs to be too difficult. Use it to compare things: does this feeling or that feeling produce better results? Use it to gauge improvement: are you launching the ball higher, farther, or achieving a higher smash factor? Use it to train - what wedge and length of swing produces a 58-yard shot. Use it to figure out your gapping. Use it to compare your numbers to someone else who's a bit better.

Etc.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

9 minutes ago, iacas said:

@mvmac is not an instructor, to be clear. He's an amateur golfer. :-)

I don't think this needs to be too difficult. Use it to compare things: does this feeling or that feeling produce better results? Use it to gauge improvement: are you launching the ball higher, farther, or achieving a higher smash factor? Use it to train - what wedge and length of swing produces a 58-yard shot. Use it to figure out your gapping. Use it to compare your numbers to someone else who's a bit better.

Etc.

Are there any drills to make sure you are making those wedge shots are producing the same distances?

For example, my distance control with half or 3/4 swings wildly vary from 100 yards to 133 yards with what seems to be the same takeaway. Is there a drill to insure that the core is moving the same with these partial swings, or should I be moving the core back the same as a full swing but just takeaway a bit less to reduce the distances?

That kind of thing.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

8 minutes ago, iacas said:

Use it to train - what wedge and length of swing produces a 58-yard shot. 

This is my plan. I intend to be able to pick a yardage at random from like 35 to 100 and then hit a shot and have it go within 3 or 4 yards of that distance "most" of the time. I think if I can get that down my scores will benefit substantially. I think learning what effect it has to grip down by an inch or two on the grip, or other adjustments will be very useful too. If I can learn to do that with each of my wedges, it will help me control the ball better in the wind too.

Then I want to use it to check what my minimum carry distances are, at least at the 95th percentile for each club in my bag. If I know that, and know what yardage I have to clear a front bunker, I can hit the club that will clear it 95% of the time and put it on the green. That would be handy for a front pin position. Or if there's a step in the green I want to clear. If I get all that lot down, then I just have to worry about hitting it straight.

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, Lihu said:

Are there any drills to make sure you are making those wedge shots are producing the same distances?

For example, my distance control with half or 3/4 swings wildly vary from 100 yards to 133 yards with what seems to be the same takeaway. Is there a drill to insure that the core is moving the same with these partial swings, or should I be moving the core back the same as a full swing but just takeaway a bit less to reduce the distances?

That kind of thing.

Huh?

Try to hit the ball 100 yards. If you fail, assess why and try again.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

2 minutes ago, Lihu said:

:offtopic: You can probably ask this in the My Swing thread.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

4 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

:offtopic: You can probably ask this in the My Swing thread.

What I meant is drills that make good use of the LM.

5 minutes ago, iacas said:

Try to hit the ball 100 yards. If you fail, assess why and try again.

Just seeing what other people might possibly do to "assess" their results and fully optimize the use of their LM. For instance, I test something out on the range or short game area, then take that out on the course I get all different results. Even with a LM as it turns out.

I'm kind of looking for a bulletproof method of getting the partial swings "perfected" so to speak, it's that "assess" with LM part that is so indefinite to me at least. 

The answers I get from one of my instructors is to practice like hell. :-D The other one doesn't even believe in LM. :whistle:

11 minutes ago, Ty_Webb said:

This is my plan. I intend to be able to pick a yardage at random from like 35 to 100 and then hit a shot and have it go within 3 or 4 yards of that distance "most" of the time. I think if I can get that down my scores will benefit substantially. I think learning what effect it has to grip down by an inch or two on the grip, or other adjustments will be very useful too. If I can learn to do that with each of my wedges, it will help me control the ball better in the wind too.

Then I want to use it to check what my minimum carry distances are, at least at the 95th percentile for each club in my bag. If I know that, and know what yardage I have to clear a front bunker, I can hit the club that will clear it 95% of the time and put it on the green. That would be handy for a front pin position. Or if there's a step in the green I want to clear. If I get all that lot down, then I just have to worry about hitting it straight.

Exactly my plan too, but practice and course seem to give me different results.

I am so inconsistent with partial swing shots it's kind of not funny. :-(

Not that I'm all that consistent with full shots either. . .

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

7 minutes ago, Lihu said:

What I meant is drills that make good use of the LM.

I think they are planning on coming out with a Combine-like feature, so that will certainly help.

7 minutes ago, Lihu said:

I am so inconsistent with partial swing shots it's kind of not funny. :-(

My bet is that it's one of: tempo. launch angle (are you delofting randomly) or contact. Work out which and then go from there.

Additionally, as others said, pick a yardage and aim for that. Work out a solid 75 yard, 100 yard and 50 yard shot first of all and then adapt from there. Launch angle with the driver will be good for you to work on as well - they're the two main reasons I'm buying one.

• Informative 1

Currently focusing on: Key 4 - shorter backswing.

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

I use LM's as an accessory, not a direct training aid.  If it's winter and indoors, I understand using it as the primary resource, but don't get too attached to it.  I'd prefer that people use LM's to confirm their flight details on a range or something where you see the flight.  Start with a normal range session, making sure the LM knows which clubs you're using and what type of swing, and get the averages at the end.  Then move into specifics like driver launch, iron/wedge spin, etc.  The key is to ONLY look at the numbers you are working on.  The more data you start looking at, either the more confused you get or the more mental and itchy you get.  Better yet, have someone there with you while using the LM to tell you the numbers, so you don't fall into the trap.

Edited by phillyk
  • Informative 1

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

I have a number of uses lined up already for my Mevo.

• Mapping carry distances: full swing, partial wedges, and knockdown shots. I want to go into an approach knowing what shot to hit instead of guessing.
  • Training, as @iacas mentioned. In addition to mapping my partial wedges, using the launch monitor to learn how far back I should be swinging for those yardage that produces the most consistent results. Maybe I'll even learn that a shorter backswing is better for my game ;-)
  • Assessing my launch characteristics. One thing I have never really been able to tell is if I'm hitting the ball the proper height. Are my wedges too high or long irons too low, that kind of stuff.
  • Tracking swing improvement. Having numbers recorded will help me keep track of my progress, as well as identify whether something I'm doing is actually improving my ballstriking to begin with.
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

8 hours ago, David in FL said:

I'm an amateur, have spent the money, have tested a little before I bought, FlightScope is a great company, to me the expense is easily justified. I love that it's small, portable, easy to use, can use it for my swing, club fitting, yardage practice and I can use the hardware for years with regular software updates. Just got it yesterday and going to use it for the first time today. Will share about that.

@billchao, @DeadMan and @iacas shared some great uses for it and it's also how I'm planning on utilizing it. I add speed training, swinging a driver, even a 7-iron, to the "edge of my ability" speed wise. Just to see how fast I can do and keep pushing it further.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

I'm just looking at some of my results from last night.

Once you see all the spin and carry numbers and taking partial shots, there's a crap of variables to choose from. Flight trajectory, spin, loft etc.

What's the best way to hit 50 yards? There seems to be a whole ton of ways to do it and I have no idea where to start?

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Note: This thread is 2311 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!