IGNORED

"5 Minutes Daily" Practice Challenge

iacas

Been playing since a young age, but life gets busy. Have played less and less these past few years. Finally committed to getting back to at least weekly play this year. So this thread seems like a good accountability opportunity. 

About two months ago I put up a net in my Florida room. Built myself a stance mat and "divot action" hitting strip. Have at least 2,500 shots on the setup so far.

I'm very much a feel player. So I can adjust my swing quickly and easily. Started with a swing thought of compressing the ball. Was striking it fairly well, but seemed to be sacrificing clubhead speed. As I was kind of sliding slightly through the ball. About a week ago I transitioned to focusing instead on club lag and rotation. Still striking it well, but now with more authority. 

Unfortunately I tweaked my back just a bit the other day. It's really not bad. But I want to give it a little bit of rest and not make it worse. So it's all wedges for me for at least a few days. Which brings us to...

Day 1

Spent about an hour total, in 5-10 minute increments randomly throughout the day. At least 300 shots. Hit nothing by my 60 degree. No full swings.

Instead worked on flighting the ball between low "nippers" and more standard pitches. Threw in a few soft lob/flops as well. Would say that between 90-95% were spot on with the trajectory I was shooting for. 

Wedge looked a lot like my profile pic when I was done. Was a good day. 

TaylorMade Sim Max 9° - Fujikura Ventus Blue / Rombax
Callaway X-Hot Pro 15° - Project X 6.0
Snake Eyes 600B 3-PW - Dynamic Gold s300
Snake Eyes 685BX Fluid Forged 52°, 56°, 60° - Dynamic Gold s300
Snake Eyes MSC1 / Golfsmith NCC - 1701
Maxfli Tour X

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

day 37: today i was still too exhausted from the golf-trip last weekend, so I spent some time on my indoor-putting mat again.. 

cheers Chris

Day 542: played 18 this morning. Brutally cold and windy start and 60 an little wind at the finish. That’s spring here in New England. Played okay. Swing got a little flat during the round. Once I figured that out, things got better. Birdied 18 and actually had an eagle putt. First time on that Par 5 green in two in a long time.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Day 166 - Did the 5SK #3 "Flat Left Wrist - 2 ball" drill with a 7 iron and Almostgolf balls in the yard today. I hit about a dozen balls over the course of about 15 minutes taking practice swings between each ball and checking for position. 

• Clubs: Ping, Edison, Maltby, Callaway, SeeMore
  • Other: Maxfli Tour or Vice Pro; Callaway ORG 7 bag; Shot Scope X5; True Linkswear 

Day 123 (11 Apr 22) - got in the yard w/PW and midday sunshine.  Used my shadow to focus on staying weight forward and not rocking back while pitching.  After about a half hour took a break and moved to the 54 wedge and more swings again working on finishing weight forward.  

Ping G400 SFT 10deg  R flex
Ping G410 3w R flex
Ping G400 3h and 4h R flex
Taylormade SLDR 5i thru PW graphite shaft R flex
Cleveland CBX wedges - 50, 54, 58 or 52, 58 (depending on my mood)
Odyssey Versa or White Steel #5
Srixon Q Star

Day 2

As hard as it is to limit myself to light practice, gonna give it another day or two for my back to rest. Around 30 minutes of practice so far today. Big benefit of working from home is it's easy to get 5 minutes of practice here and there. Again with flighting wedges. This time with more focus on specific distance targets.

Then moved my stance mat and hitting strip out of the way so I could hit some putts. The carpet I have in my office runs around 13.5-14 on the stimp. A tad bit faster than my home course, but rolls very similarly.

Patiently waiting on a new putter grip to arrive that I'm eager to try. Specifically the Kotahi palms up grip. Used to be lights out putting. Then someone pointed out that I kind of looped in the backstroke. Can't remember who, but damn them, lol. Since then I get "yippy". Putt pretty well with a claw grip. I just have a hard time accepting I can't put traditionally.  Like the idea of the Kotahi grip and think it may work to quiet my hands a bit. 

Maxfli Tour X

Day 87:

Hit balls with 7-iron today. While continuing to reinforce fingery grip and open face backswing feel, today's main focus was rhythm, especially from end of backswing into transition, since I feel like I often get out of sync.

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

• Administrator

Day 162, April 11, 2022

Hit some putts in the hotel room after watching the kiddo play in her college team event.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Day 33 - more steady head & low point control work.  Continued to rehearse pre-shot routine, reviewed grip, set up and stance for consistency. 

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

Day 36.  Got home from work late (as is habit on Mon/Wed for a while), chipped slowly (off a mat, into a net, real balls) for five minutes with a 54. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Day 2: Lesson; Worked on setup, and right elbow on downswing.  Main focus for the next two weeks is better balance and weight distribution at setup, and keeping right elbow inside body on downswing.  Exercises based on feeling a "reverse loop" - start steep and then shallow, rather than my current habit which is the opposite.

Cobra F-Max Driver | Ping Karsten 3H, 4H, 5H | Titleist 690MB 5-PW | TaylorMade ATV 52* 56* 60* | Odyssey White Hot #1

Day 167 - Rain today; worked inside on developing consistent rhythm with various length finesse wedge swings using the "1-and-2" drill. Then hit some putts. 

• Clubs: Ping, Edison, Maltby, Callaway, SeeMore
  • Other: Maxfli Tour or Vice Pro; Callaway ORG 7 bag; Shot Scope X5; True Linkswear 

Day 3: Swings with plane station, steeper backswing, shallower down swing; same feel without; one handed swings with wedge.

Cobra F-Max Driver | Ping Karsten 3H, 4H, 5H | Titleist 690MB 5-PW | TaylorMade ATV 52* 56* 60* | Odyssey White Hot #1

Day 543: Only had time to work on chipping and pitching today for about 15 minutes.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Day 124 (12 Apr) - after yard work this am, did a little pitch and putt work in the back yard.  Grabbed the 50 and 58 along with the putter. Goal - pitch (can go anywhere from a couple of paces to 25yds) to one of the holes I’ve set up, putted out (5’ max as the yard is not a putting green level of grass).  Still, made for good work on accuracy and dealing with putts under less than ideal conditions.  

Ping G400 SFT 10deg  R flex
Ping G410 3w R flex
Ping G400 3h and 4h R flex
Taylormade SLDR 5i thru PW graphite shaft R flex
Cleveland CBX wedges - 50, 54, 58 or 52, 58 (depending on my mood)
Odyssey Versa or White Steel #5
Srixon Q Star

Day 37.  Got home, decided to work on half shots with my wedges.  As before, slow swings and I made generally good contact.  

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Day 3

Feel like my updates will be a little boring for now. As I just hit more wedges today for another 30 minutes. Worked on 50 to 100 yard swings. Good news is all this wedge practice will likely pay off. Striking it really well.

Just for some perspective, I keep 10 balls in my hitting area. Helps me to track how many swing I'm getting in each day. Set up the mat and net about 5-6 weeks ago. And this was a brand new ball when I started. I know people have said Vice covers don't hold up well. Can confirm that's the case, lol.

Plan to play the Maxfli Tour X this year as my primary ball. Scored 4 dozen for under $100 a few weeks ago. Should be set for a while. 

Screen Shot 2022-04-12 at 10.03.26 PM.png

Maxfli Tour X

Day 88:

Rested and just did some indoor putting

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2