IGNORED

"5 Minutes Daily" Practice Challenge

iacas

Day 168 - Went to the range and worked on the following:

1) Wedge shots of <= 30 yards with my 54* and 58*. Practiced hitting the basic shot (I'm trying for a middle road between a chip and pitch shot), then high and low with both clubs, then hit a few ultra high shots with the 58*, mostly to see if I could. In addition to contact quality, I focused on the amount of energy required to cover the same carry distance with each trajectory.

2) Approach wedges shots with my 54*, 49* and 44* wedges using a flighted swing, focusing on distances (the range has distance markers in relatively small increments covering 30 to 100 yards).

3) Driver: worked on quality of contact by powering the face of my driver (with spray-on foot spray) then hit 5 shots; contact all around the sweet spot. Reset the driver to the "D" (draw) setting from the "N" setting, re-powdered the face, and hit 5 more shots. Interestingly (to me at least) my contact was significantly better (all on the sweet spot) when I changed to the "D" setting. Probably some learning involved too, but I really liked the ball flight and will be leaving it on "D" for the time being. 

Edited by Bob M
  • Clubs: Ping, Edison, Maltby, Callaway, SeeMore
  • Other: Maxfli Tour or Vice Pro; Callaway ORG 7 bag; Shot Scope X5; True Linkswear 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

day 38: took a break yesterday, and spent today almost 3 hours on the range.. about 2 1/2 of which with my pro in a group lesson and we went through putting techniques and green-reading today

cheers Chris

Day 544: Just chipping again today. My mother’s back yard is like the grass next to sand traps, lots of sand underneath.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Day 4: Set up a 4 foot putt with no break, and set up 2 sticks as rails either side.  Challenge was to putt 50/50.  I succeeded!  Did feel like I was more aware of starting the ball on line, and tried using the line on the ball to help.  Then did a bunch of 50-60 yard pitches, focussed on setup, and on keeping elbows close, and trail elbow down and in.  Did some using the tour striker ball, and some without.  Hit quite a lot of really quite nice shots, and generally felt as if I was doing the right thing.  Finished with a putting competition with my daughter - we walked six holes, and then once we got the green, threw each others balls on the green somewhere, and putted out.  5 times per hole.  She had a 2 shot handicap.  She won 4-1!  I think she's getting cut!

Cobra F-Max Driver | Ping Karsten 3H, 4H, 5H | Titleist 690MB 5-PW | TaylorMade ATV 52* 56* 60* | Odyssey White Hot #1

• Administrator

Day 164, April 13, 2022

Swing work in the mirror and briefly outside (it's warm!) while catching up on some TV (including the Masters, some Pens games, etc.) following my trip to Alabama.

Was a successful trip:

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Day 38.  Snuck home for dinner (I am teaching an evening course this term some nights, hence some of the long days) and spent ten minutes putting indoors.  I did the coin drill from LSW for practicing long putts indoors. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Day 125 (13 Apr) - played 18 with my son today at a course we haven't been to since April of 2020.  This course offers plenty of opportunity to exercise course management.  Today was full of such!  I love the way the course forced me to plan the hole from the green to the tee.  

Ping G400 SFT 10deg  R flex
Ping G410 3w R flex
Ping G400 3h and 4h R flex
Taylormade SLDR 5i thru PW graphite shaft R flex
Cleveland CBX wedges - 50, 54, 58 or 52, 58 (depending on my mood)
Odyssey Versa or White Steel #5
Srixon Q Star

Day 89:

Worked on making athletic swings today. Feels like recently I have been so conscious of focus concepts that I am steering my body into positions and not making an athletic move. So today just hit balls trying to feel athletic.

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

Day 34 - 4’ putts for bead and 30’ putts for speed with focus on rhythm using Blast

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

Day 4

Received and installed the new putter grip. Spent around 15 minutes getting acclimated with it. Not sure whether I like it or not yet. But will give it a fair shake. 

TaylorMade Sim Max 9° - Fujikura Ventus Blue / Rombax
Callaway X-Hot Pro 15° - Project X 6.0
Snake Eyes 600B 3-PW - Dynamic Gold s300
Snake Eyes 685BX Fluid Forged 52°, 56°, 60° - Dynamic Gold s300
Snake Eyes MSC1 / Golfsmith NCC - 1701
Maxfli Tour X

day 39: conference calls and putting go hand in hand (as long as I don't have to turn on my video)

Edited by cdh79

cheers Chris

Day 126 (14 Apr 22) - Worked on full swings with the 7i, hitting down the old railroad bed behind the house. It has long grassed over, stays mowed and presents a good chute to hit the ball. Also served to shield the ball from the gusty 20mph + winds.  Allows for almost a range like experience.  

Ping G400 SFT 10deg  R flex
Ping G410 3w R flex
Ping G400 3h and 4h R flex
Taylormade SLDR 5i thru PW graphite shaft R flex
Cleveland CBX wedges - 50, 54, 58 or 52, 58 (depending on my mood)
Odyssey Versa or White Steel #5
Srixon Q Star

Day 169 - More chipping practice today. Sections of my lawn have grown sufficiently to look like rough so I was able to try both "clean" and "fluff" lies to (i) work on making good contact and (ii) see how the ball reacts. 

• Clubs: Ping, Edison, Maltby, Callaway, SeeMore
  • Other: Maxfli Tour or Vice Pro; Callaway ORG 7 bag; Shot Scope X5; True Linkswear 

Day 545: Range today. Worked on the swing down and wide feel from the top. I kind of lost that while working on other things. Also did short game work.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Day 5

Did some more putting with the new grip I installed yesterday (Kotahi Palms Up). It's going to take a little more to get used to. But I think I'll like it. Nice thing is that it's not awkward or uncomfortable when using the claw. Which is my safety net fallback if I'm having a "yippy" day on the greens.

Back feels back to 100%, so I'll probably start hitting some full shots again over the weekend. Which is good timing given I just received my new grips for this year (GP Tour Velvet Plus 4 - Midsize), and also my new-ish TM Sim Max driver. Really eager to hit that against my current driver.

TaylorMade Sim Max 9° - Fujikura Ventus Blue / Rombax
Callaway X-Hot Pro 15° - Project X 6.0
Snake Eyes 600B 3-PW - Dynamic Gold s300
Snake Eyes 685BX Fluid Forged 52°, 56°, 60° - Dynamic Gold s300
Snake Eyes MSC1 / Golfsmith NCC - 1701
Maxfli Tour X

• Administrator

Day 165, April 14, 2022

Made some swings after my college player's tournament with the Force wedge and 7I. It's weird to swing a flexible shaft that isn't super heavy like the typical stuff (Orange Whip, etc.).

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Day 90:

Rain today, so a little backswing work and putting indoors.

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

Day 5: Played the 18 hole par 3, again mostly focussed on trail elbow.  Was a slow group ahead and nobody behind, so I also putted a bunch of times to kill time.

Cobra F-Max Driver | Ping Karsten 3H, 4H, 5H | Titleist 690MB 5-PW | TaylorMade ATV 52* 56* 60* | Odyssey White Hot #1