IGNORED

"5 Minutes Daily" Practice Challenge

iacas

Day 549: Staying at my Mom’s for a couple of days. Just worked on chipping in the backyard and also some swings with driver and 6 iron. Focused on slow, high backswing.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Day 94:

Lesson today. Worked a bit on lead hand grip, specifically getting into a weaker position. Teacher suggested I try midsize grip, which I have tried before and didn't find comfortable, but I also think my grip technique is different now, so I may order a couple midsize and try them out.

Then spent the rest of the lesson working very slowly on changing how I deliver the club to the ball, i.e., not flipping.

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

Day 9

Started doing some tracking with my putting today. Goal is to compare the two grips I'm testing using some actual data. Plan is to hit 100 putts a day with only one putter/grip combo.

I putt on carpet in my sim/office, which rolls about 12.5+ on the stimp. It's on a slab that isn't perfectly level. So has some subtle breaks based on where I place my "holes". Which are actually just 3d printed, low-profile rings. They're also undersized compared to a standard hole, at 3.25" in diameter. Set up two of them, 7 feet apart. And plan to use the same exact placement for the duration of my testing. 

I also 3d printed a shaft extension for one of my putters. That way I'm using the exact same length for both throughout the testing (35.25"). Today I putted with my Golfsmith NCC-1701 putter, with the Kotahi putter grip installed in reverse orientation. Traditional-ish grip hold. Made 83/100 putts. Which I'm pretty pleased with. 

Thinking I'll alternate days with the putters/grips. So tomorrow will likely be my Snake Eyes MCS1 with the Traxion 2.0 Claw grip, with a claw hold. 

TaylorMade Sim Max 9° - Fujikura Ventus Blue / Rombax
Callaway X-Hot Pro 15° - Project X 6.0
Snake Eyes 600B 3-PW - Dynamic Gold s300
Snake Eyes 685BX Fluid Forged 52°, 56°, 60° - Dynamic Gold s300
Snake Eyes MSC1 / Golfsmith NCC - 1701
Maxfli Tour X

Day 43.  Monday is a long day for me, but after work, I found ten minutes to hit shots with a 6-iron.  I hit about as many shots as minutes.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Day 10: Swings with plane station, again, focussing on trail arm / elbow.  Changed the angle of the stick to be a bit less steep, which I found harder.  Made the swing shorter, and tried to keep same tempo as yesterday.  Then chipping ladder drill with 9I.

Cobra F-Max Driver | Ping Karsten 3H, 4H, 5H | Titleist 690MB 5-PW | TaylorMade ATV 52* 56* 60* | Odyssey White Hot #1

Day 39 - I missed yesterday but I think we have a grace day or something, right?  
Just spent 20mins working on putting (bead at 4-6’, speed at 30ft)

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

Day 174 - Practiced pitch shots in the yard with my 49* UW today, doing the ladder drill. It is definitely easier to judge the landing spot from a shorter distance, however in reviewing Shot Scope data from the 2 rounds I have collected to date, I realized that I used my UW once (a shot from the fairway about 30 yards from the back pin), badly mis-judging the landing spot which resulted in a 3-putt double.  Need to work on shots which run more if I have the green to work with. 

• Clubs: Ping, Edison, Maltby, Callaway, SeeMore
  • Other: Maxfli Tour or Vice Pro; Callaway ORG 7 bag; Shot Scope X5; True Linkswear 

Day 550: Nor’easter here today so nothing outside. I did a few minutes of mirror work without clubs to see hand position at the top. Sometimes I get too flat on the course.

Scott

My Swing Thread

Day 44.  At my lunch break, went to a local really nice course and used their putting green for half an hour.  Some of this was warm-up, some of it was practicing short putts without a specific drill;  then I did drills (described next), followed by some 12' undrilled (but aiming to get past the hole if I don't make it, but very likely to make range, which for me isn't very much) and a few 30' (want to hit the exact distance, or as close to it, with appropriate break to leave a makeable putt).  

The two drills I did were 4' and 6'.  Around the clock, make eventually drills.  I need a better name.  Anyway, on 4' I made 8 on first pass and the remaining 4 on second pass for 16 total, 75% rate.  On 6', I took 23 putts total, with 7:00 and 2:00 taking until the fifth go-around to fall, just under 50% conversion rate.  Since scratch golfers make 80% from 4' and 55% from 6', I think these drills led to good numbers, but they are still small sample sizes.  Just the same, if I can get to the point where I can make 75% from 4', 50% from 6', and 20% from 12', I think I will be in good position.  

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Day 131 (19 Apr 22) - Played 18 today with son and grandson.  Course was receptive as we had a good soaking rain yesterday.  Focus today was on setup at the tee - working to keep the ball in the fairway or at least out of the trees.  Also on good course management in regards to approaches and best part of green to aim based on flag location not only front to back but side to side.  

Ping G400 SFT 10deg  R flex
Ping G410 3w R flex
Ping G400 3h and 4h R flex
Taylormade SLDR 5i thru PW graphite shaft R flex
Cleveland CBX wedges - 50, 54, 58 or 52, 58 (depending on my mood)
Odyssey Versa or White Steel #5
Srixon Q Star

Day 10

Anyone care to guess what I did today? More putting, lol.

Thought I was going to alternate with my other putter/grip combo. But continued on with the Kotahi grip. Am kind of settling in with an almost thumb to thumb hold. With my right hand just slightly higher than my left. 

Logged over double the attempts. Distance was the same 7 feet to my two different undersized holes/targets. 210 total putts, and made 171 of them (81.43%). 

Really hoping all this effort translates to the course. Tomorrow will switch to my other putter with the Traxion 2.0 Claw grip. And will use that for the next two days. Then continue with that cadence until I have 10 days of data.

Still want to swap the grips between putters at some point. So assuming I'm not sick and tired of all this putting, I may swap them after the first 10 days, then run through another 10 days. Then analyze the data and try to make some decisions. 

I can at least eliminate the shorter putter length. My primary putter for the past few years is 33.5" long. Since adding the 3d printed extension to bring it to 35.25", I like it a lot more. Just feels more natural for me (6'1").

Maxfli Tour X

Day 95:

Worked on some setup adjustments from recent lesson. First, weaken left (lead hand) grip. Second, ball position has crept a bit too far forward, so worked on setting up with the ball one ball's-length toward the rear foot from where I currently address it.

Then worked on priority piece, to add palmar flexion and feel like the trail arm is a little more externally rotated starting the downswing. It feels extreme and exaggerated right now, but doesn't look like I am doing anything extreme at all. Did a lot of Covid-19 day-5 drills. Probably hit about 80 balls. I'm still struggling with this piece (same as last 6 weeks), and I have never quite gotten the knack of the Covid-19 day-5 drill (sometimes good, sometimes bad), although I think this the time to really keep at it until I get it right if I want to move beyond my current struggles.

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

Day 11: This morning, did one handed swings with wedge, and straight putting drills.  About to do another session on trail arm - feeling elbow pointing down and in front of ribcage from P3 to impact.

Cobra F-Max Driver | Ping Karsten 3H, 4H, 5H | Titleist 690MB 5-PW | TaylorMade ATV 52* 56* 60* | Odyssey White Hot #1

day 45: spent an hour on the range again and went through all the clubs off the real-grass part of our range.. 

cheers Chris

Day 11

Switched to my other putter/grip combo today. Which is a Snake Eyes MSC1 with the Traxion 2.0 Claw grip. Tried a variety of holds. The grip feels OK. But thinking the putter head just isn't going to work for me as a go forward option. Which is kind of a bummer, because it was custom built for me years ago. Even has my name engraved on it, lol. 

But present day, it just doesn't feel solid in my hands. So will likely throw the Traxion 2.0 Claw grip on my NCC-1701 putter and instead collect data on that for the next two days. 

Feel aside, there was tangible decline in putts made (still at 7 feet). Which was 73.75% (118/160). Thats about a 10% decline over the past two days. Granted, it takes a little adjustment when switching putters. But it really didn't improve as the day went on. It actually got worse.

Maxfli Tour X

Day 175 - Went to the range at NKGC today, although being early in the season, it was pretty much like hitting off dirt. Spent about 2 hours working on the following:

1) Hit 30 and 50 yard pitch shots with my 49* UW and 60 yarders with my 44* PW, pretty much into a right to left wind.

2) Worked on low point control by placing an alignment rod 4" behind the ball and hitting shots with my PW and 8i. Never hit the rod, but did hit some pretty ugly shots. Also hit some intentional hooks and slices with the 8i

3) Hit 5H, 6H and driver.

4) hit about 6 balls out of the practice bunker

5) Practiced lag putts on the practiced green.

• Clubs: Ping, Edison, Maltby, Callaway, SeeMore
  • Other: Maxfli Tour or Vice Pro; Callaway ORG 7 bag; Shot Scope X5; True Linkswear 

Day 551: Filmed my practice today. Some elements are good but some need work. My shoulder rotation seems down. 

Scott

My Swing Thread