6,987 posts / 346217 viewsLast Reply

Day 293

Probably the worst ball striking I’ve had in a practice session since before I started lessons. Started off with slow, 9-3 swings working on priority piece and shanked about 50% of the balls. Thought f*** it, and just tried some easy/loose full swings to clear my head and shanked probably 75% of the balls. Took a break, came back, and hit simple chip shots, and still shanked about 30% of the balls.

Something is terribly awry right now. I ended my practice today afraid to hit a ball with more than a chipping motion. I’m going to be an optimist and hope that it’s that (1) my work is super busy right now which might be causing lack of focus when I practice, and (2) I’ve been practicing in the dark lately (decent exterior light, but far from ideal) due to a variety of factors, and the environment is contributing to poor ballstriking.

Got a lesson in 2 weeks, but I’ll be on vacation until the day of my lesson, so no chance to film and get teacher feedback ahead of that, so I’m on my own to work something out. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Day 52

first day practicing at 80%’ish although it felt closer to full speed looking back. Good results. Started including my 5i to try to get more consistent with those lower clubs. Still focusing on ball position and my knee bend as well. 

On 9/29/2020 at 7:04 PM, woodzie264 said:

Day 18 -  playing in a couple of scrambled in the next week, so it hit some balls trying to not think about technique...just wanting to make solid contact. 

Day 19 - Same as above; hit some wedges, 8i’s, hybrid, 5W, Drivers.  playing tomorrow

Day 104.  Speed sticks outback tonight during TNF (no alcohol consumed prior to doing the practice).  Outdoors, protocol two.  

I hate the swinging from the knees we do as part of this protocol ... how they make me feel, that sort of thing.  In the past, that's usually a sign that if I keep doing it, I'll improve at golf, so it's worth it.

Day 34 - Played 9. Getting more comfortable with my hip turn, but my contact has gotten really poor. Either a straight pull or an open-faced push. Very frustrated lately. 

Day 294

Some shank relief, and a good feeling after practice. Got home earlier than expected from work and recorded some swings in near dark - not great slo-mo quality but helpful. Noticed in face-on video my stance was much narrower than normal, and DTL video looked like my hands were reaching out for the ball or something during downswing. Not clear how to describe it, but looked odd. No idea where this popped up from.

Went back to an old lesson from 2 years ago when I was crippled by shanks, and found a feel that addressed the hand thing, and widened my stance back to normal.

Hit about 50 balls with half swings and no shanks. Then another 10 full swings and no shanks. Kind of dropped the priority piece now, just working on finding the ball again, and will get back to it once my confidence is back.

Leaving for vacation tomorrow after work, so just indoor putting and hopefully a few rounds if I can carve out some time for it. 

Day 53

Played 18 today. Some positives and some bad. Could not hit driver or 3W at all, but I really liked how I hit my Hybrid and irons. Good ball flight. The new swing seems to be taking. I’m not reading too much into my driver since it’s mostly been better. 

Back to Day #1

Chipped in back yard with 9 iron, focus on landing in 3' diameter circle from 10 yards.  

Day 105.  Putting practice, real green, real putter, real golf balls.  4' around the world drill (took 20 putts to complete;  not great).  6' took me 25 putts (I want to get that regularly under 24). 

Day 35 - Played 18. It was a mixed bag, driver was good, everything else was inconsistent. 

Day 54

Spent an hour on the range just working on driver. Video and details incoming in my swing thread.