IGNORED

"5 Minutes Daily" Practice Challenge

iacas

Day 24:

Did rehearsals, without a club, in my office for the new dynamic shoulder motion I am trying to get into my downswing. I'm searching for a simple feel or thought to make sure I recenter correctly before transition, and also for driving my trail shoulder down and around my axis of rotation.

Long ago, before I started lessons, I was pretty good at the shoulder move, but I didn't understand recentering/flow so I was also hanging back on my trail foot and hit the ball terribly even though my shoulder move looked okay in isolation.

I'm hopefully going to have time to do a little work with a real club when I get home too, but not sure yet.

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Day 59 (24 Aug 21)  - Monthly men’s church group beat ball outing.  Great day to just let it rip off the tee and making the most of wedges into the green.  Toughest part was putting - the greens had been just punched and sanded.  Called for being confident in the stroke as the ball just seemed to die off the putter.  

Edited by WillieT
More details added

Ping G400 SFT 10deg  R flex
Ping G410 3w R flex
Ping G400 3h and 4h R flex
Taylormade SLDR 5i thru PW graphite shaft R flex
Cleveland CBX wedges - 50, 54, 58 or 52, 58 (depending on my mood)
Odyssey Versa or White Steel #5
Srixon Q Star

Day 303: walked 18 at North Kingstown. Brutally humid. Sweat buckets. Played from the Blues, which are the longest tees. Was really squirrelly off the tee but had a lot of nice short game shots.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Day 2 (8/25/21) - Worked on short (left arm at 7:30 and shaft parallel to the ground) wedge shots in the yard today. Hit each until I made firm swing with good contact. It took about 20 minutes total. 

• Clubs: Ping, Edison, Maltby, Callaway, SeeMore
  • Other: Maxfli Tour or Vice Pro; Callaway ORG 7 bag; Shot Scope X5; True Linkswear 

Day 180.  Played 18 holes again -- birdied hole 5, I have to check how that affects the birdie challenge.  Two doubles and two triples didn't make me very happy, but 7 GIR + 4 collars in regulation + 2 other near-GIRs + 2 holes where I hit a green with a full swing shot after getting out of trouble was nice.  

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Day 60 (25 Aug 21) - pitches w/the 8i today.  Worked from my usual distances of 10-30yds.  Last set of the day ended with me holing out the last shot.  Figured I needed to stop there.  

Ping G410 3w R flex
Srixon Q Star

Day 25:

Worked on my downswing priority piece with an 8-iron. Recorded a couple swings and I am seeing less hunch/shrug at impact, but I think I can do better. Rehearsals look good, but don't do as well even with slow swings with a ball.

Note to self: practice short game stuff tomorrow with COVID-19 day 6 and 7 drills.

-Peter

Day 304: Played 18 in the first group out. Played pretty well. Short game was very good. Driving was better than yesterday. I was a bit off on the par 3 tee shots.

http://www.gamegolf.com/player/ScottCurry/round/3092212

Scott

My Swing Thread

Day 3 (8/26/21) - Hit a small bucket on the range today doing the "2/3 drill" with my 8-iron and PW. Goal is to hit shots at 2/3 of my full swing distance, focused on good tempo and contact. So 8-iron and PW targets are 72-yards and 60-yards respectively.  This is a really good drill which I discovered yesterday via an AMG/Monte Scheinblum video. 

Edited by Bob M
correct date
  • Other: Maxfli Tour or Vice Pro; Callaway ORG 7 bag; Shot Scope X5; True Linkswear 

Day 61 (26 Aug 21) - Played 18 today.  Used the time in the round to reinforce the work around the green using the 8i for chipping.  Also during the round worked on course management, thinking about the next shot/shots and where I needed to be.   Likewise worked on keeping head still during putts where misses were finishing well within 2' of the hole.  

Ping G410 3w R flex
Srixon Q Star

Day 181.  Despite my day basically being a return from vacation and then a work meeting and then dinner, I did find time to spend ten minutes hitting about as many balls with my 6-iron indoors.  I focused on setup and trying for the feel from the priority piece.  It was too dark to use my camera as a mirror and I haven't a real mirror in the room to use to check positions. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Day 26:

Did some COVID-19 day 6 and 7 short game drills.

Attempted to work on my full swing priority piece but it was too dark to do more than rehearsals and hit a few foam balls.

-Peter

Day 305: Range work today. Focus on my new pieces for distance wedges, then moved on the irons and woods. Very humid. 

Scott

My Swing Thread

• Administrator

Day 608 - August 27, 2021

Hit balls downtown in the morning. Just about 20, but all while doing my "piece" and involving the lower body.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Day 62 (27 Aug 21) - Played 18 today, focused on swing mechanics, especially the irons.  Noticed that when I am "going for it" I fall apart and the swing turns into a full blown push/slice.   Going to focus on these clubs, may even do an irons only round the next time I am out with the grandson. 

Ping G410 3w R flex
Srixon Q Star

Day 4 (8/27/21)  - 9-hole league tonight. Somewhat frustrating because I was 5 over after 6 holes, then we had a 20-minute rain delay and I went triple-quad-bogey for the last three for a 13-over 47. As they say.....golf is hard.

Day 27:

Played 18 at a new to me course, one of the local "destination" courses. The course was a annoying to me because there were a good number of tee shots, and a few par-5 approach shots where it wasn't obvious what a good line off the tee or approaching the green, and with no local knowledge, it was difficult to figure out risk/reward of picking a certain line. I guess this might be common with this "American Parkland" style of golf course, but I didn't love it.

Driver was really good today, and had drives of 299, 295, 307, 262, 281 yards. The short one was a drop kick. I was also solid off the tee with 3H today.

Putting was really good. The greens on this course were firm, pretty fast, and in really good condition. I didn't make any birdies, but didn't have any 3 putts, even when starting far from the hole. All my reads were decent, and distance control was good enough to make the second putt.

My pitches and chips were crisply struck, but because of firm and fast greens my distance judgement was garbage and I didn't get as close to the hole as I hoped, and had several run off the green into collection areas, and one almost ran into a greenside bunker. I probably should have adapted to this faster, but I didn't.

Edited by Darkfrog

-Peter

Day 182.  Took a break at work for ten more minutes of 6-iron practice, which meant about 4 balls total.  

-- Michael | My swing!