IGNORED

"5 Minutes Daily" Practice Challenge

iacas

Day 4:

Worked on backswing using mirrorvision, and then hit some Almost Golf balls with 7-iron and driver, and recorded a few. Not ready to move onto downswing piece yet, but I think I am making progress exaggerating backswing move.

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Day 58: 9/15/2022

I actually played 18 today. Got out there early. The sun was up, but just barely. It was overcast, foggy and wet for the entire front 9. Surprisingly for the conditions I didn't lose a ball until 15 (on which I lost 2... oops). I went 48 + 42. Wedge game hurt me and the tee shot I snap hooked into the lateral hazard on 15 hurt. (Okay in truth the hazard was on 16, but I was playing 15 at the time... like I said, I snap hooked it.) I compounded that mistake by trying to hit a hero recovery, which found the water. Oops. Otherwise the back 9 was pretty solid. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

Day 320 - Played 18 today with a couple from Rockport, MA. Mediocre round with 3 blowup holes and poor putting in general. On a positive note, my short game was pretty good, as were my approach shots (except on the blow-up holes). 

• Clubs: Ping, Edison, Maltby, Callaway, SeeMore
  • Other: Maxfli Tour or Vice Pro; Callaway ORG 7 bag; Shot Scope X5; True Linkswear 

Day 93 (15 Sep 22) - Played 18 at Minnesott with my son today.  

Ping G400 SFT 10deg  R flex
Ping G410 3w R flex
Ping G400 3h and 4h R flex
Taylormade SLDR 5i thru PW graphite shaft R flex
Cleveland CBX wedges - 50, 54, 58 or 52, 58 (depending on my mood)
Odyssey Versa or White Steel #5
Srixon Q Star

Day 192.  I allocated time after work to practice before socializing.  I was successful in using my allocated time, and I am now working more on the elbows drill than my previous ratio, as I don't feel I'm doing it as well as the other one. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Day 52 (9/15/22): Today I practiced full swings as yesterday, but with a bit more focus and attempting to collect data. I hit for 30-35 minutes, dividing the session between 7 iron, PW, 4 iron, and driver, and hit everything on the launch monitor so I could follow path and face angle. I worked on Kwon elements, sometimes doing step drills as practice swings. What I was specifically experimenting with was the feel of trying to pull the grip off the club at the bottom of the swing, in the hitting area, at the same time as kicking the ground with my left leg into impact. As with yesterday, this had an immediate effect on my swing path, moving it from it's typical too much in-out to something very neutral. Contact wasn't quite as good as it was this weekend, mostly a tendency to thin hits and toe hits. But the face angle was very good, and I got pretty good dispersion with all the clubs. I finished with the driver and began getting a little sloppy and losing focus, and this resulted in a few big miss hooks, but I was able to eliminate them with feels like waiting more in transition, letting the lower body lead and control the downswing, really kicking the ground with my left leg through impact, etc. In the past, if I tried to make my club path go more left, I would usually be unable to. The only things that would make it happen would be an exaggerated outside take away, or an exaggerated open stance, and neither of these looked right on video. They also produced shitty impact. The feel of pulling the grip off of the club, however, produced a beautiful, consistent path that was neutral, and I could make it slightly open by exaggerating the move a little or taking an open stance. As I said I was hitting it thin, but often when I'm trying something new, I will have tension in my arms and wrists, and will not uncock the wrists enough, leading to the thin hits. 

JP Bouffard

"I cut a little driver in there." -- Jim Murray

Driver: Titleist 915 D3, ACCRA Shaft 9.5*.
3W: Callaway XR,
3,4 Hybrid: Taylor Made RBZ Rescue Tour, Oban shaft.
Irons: 5-GW: Mizuno JPX800, Aerotech Steelfiber 95 shafts, S flex.
Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM5 56 degree, M grind
Putter: Edel Custom Pixel Insert 

Day 5:

Basically same thing as the last four days, working with 7-iron and 3-wood today.

-Peter

Day 321 - Instead of actually swinging a club, today I decided to closely evaluate yesterday's round.

I shot a 21 over 91, which is 6.26 shots lost to my benchmark of a 15 capper (per Shot Scope). The real story, however is on four holes I lost 6.57 strokes, whereas I gained 0.31 on the remaining 14 holes. I had two penalty strokes off the tee (4 and 9) versus only three others to date this year.  Ironically one of my better holes turned out to be saving bogie on 9, a short uphill Par 4 with well guarded by bunkers (found the ball, took an unplayable, pitched to the fairway, got up and down from 55 yards). 

Three of my four blowup holes were due to really poor tee shots, followed by several more poorly executed shots. Additionally, I only had 2 GIRs (and 5 nGIRS) so my approach game was off as well, again mainly do to poorly executed shots on my blowup holes. In other words, yesterday was a definite "Jekyll and Hyde" performance on my part with 14 good holes and 4 awful ones. It goes without saying that I'll be reading the TST thread on avoiding blowup holes REALLY closely.

While short putting was good and approach putting OK, I didn't make anything from 5' to 20'....the "Makeable Putt Challenge" distances.... literally zero. Putts in this range will become the primary focus of the putting practice until I improve significantly in the range. There are several good drill in LSW I'll be incorporating and tracking performance using the "Makeable Putt Challenge". 

• Clubs: Ping, Edison, Maltby, Callaway, SeeMore
  • Other: Maxfli Tour or Vice Pro; Callaway ORG 7 bag; Shot Scope X5; True Linkswear 

Day 94 (16 Sep 22) A day of wedge struggles in the backyard.  Had planned to  hit some easy 58deg wedges from 10yds to around 50.  Swing was off - was in a hit one solid, hit two off the hosel mode. Stopped and walked thru the setup and practice swing.  Saw that I was not rotating the torso.  Worked on short pitches - finished the drill with solid pitches and no h-rockets.  

Ping G400 SFT 10deg  R flex
Ping G410 3w R flex
Ping G400 3h and 4h R flex
Taylormade SLDR 5i thru PW graphite shaft R flex
Cleveland CBX wedges - 50, 54, 58 or 52, 58 (depending on my mood)
Odyssey Versa or White Steel #5
Srixon Q Star

Day 1- Started practicing again after a busy week. I did play Wednesday. 

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Day 59: 9/16/2022

Played 7 really good holes of golf this morning. ... And 2 ugly ones. ... oops. 

9 holes and I shot 45. That was with a quadruple bogey on number 2 and a triple bogey on number 9. 

The quadruple I sprayed my tee shot into the water. Then compounded my mistake. (that's becoming a bad reoccurring theme with me. Gotta stop that.) The triple on 9. I had a NGIR then my head fell off. 🤷‍♂️

Edited by ChetlovesMer

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

Day 193.  As I did a few times this week, allocating time after work really helped.  Tonight I did a 50/50 of tilt and elbow drills, slow and with my new mirrors (which I really like). 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Day 53 (September 16, 2022): More full swing work, Kwon drill-based swings. Continuing to get very nice swing path numbers, and probably the best face to path I've had since I got this launch monitor--on maybe half of the shots. But face angle variation was higher on the bad shots, so something was creeping in there. Anyway about 1 hour of drills and ball hitting. Working this weekend but I hope to get out and play.  

JP Bouffard

Day 6:

Did shot zone mapping with 7-iron and Mevo+.

-Peter

Day 8- prior to round this morning practiced chips and pitches at Musgrove Mills excellent short game facility.  Holed one chip and one pitch over a bunker, and really looked forward to doing well during the round.  That, unfortunately, did not occur! 😒

Day 54 (9/17/22): I practiced and played (alas, simulator again; as I worked most of the day). I was working on proper pivot, proper transition movement, rhythm, and the feel of pulling up and left on the handle through impact. Striking was not as good as last week, but still better. The path remains really solid. The pulling up feel seems to prevent me from complete ulnar deviation and unhinging, so I get more thin hits. Also, trying to work on an impact hand feel AND a transition feel is hard and when I swing at speed in the simulated rounds, I get out of sequence. I played a course at 7000 yards because I wanted to see what it was like. I did ok; shot 85 after opening with a quad on the first hole, and having several 3 putts. After the round I went back to 40 yard-ish shots with a wedge to work on the transition move and the up/left handle pull feel. 

JP Bouffard