IGNORED

"5 Minutes Daily" Practice Challenge

iacas

DAY 222B    The rain stopped so I headed over to the short game area to continue working on my short wedges... see DAY 222 note.     Spent 75 minutes -- right hand, left hand, both hands,  ... then to the large chipping/pitching green where I hit shots to flags 20 and 30 yards away.  Then hit some chip shots... felt the best I have in month about the quality of the contact.  Guess all the work on the wedges is positively transferring over to other shots.   I am thinking it is, as yesterday when I played in a scramble, I hit the driver about 20 yards longer than I did a few months back on the same course -- feeling my sequencing is improving, and better contact.

Edited by JuanTheGolfer

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Day 60:

Feeling like crap today from upper respiratory infection. Just did 5 minutes of mirror work, working a bit on hip rotation.

Day 31 I thought I'd play golf today, but I didn't get a chance to do so.  I did get to practice an hour at the range (30 balls, outdoors, grass), working on my new priority piece:  trying to hit the ground hard and no follow through.  I wonder as I type this if it's related to not accelerating when I hit my putts, but I won't think of this when practicing for obvious reasons.  I also practiced putting for 30 minutes doing the "10 foot putts" game from Prof Broadie's book.  It took me 32 holes to get to 10 points, which I think is not that good but I checked the book and it's better than a 90s golfer, which I'm fairly happy with.  Friday's round really energized my desire to improve strokes gained in every category.

Edited by Shindig
Red text

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Day 16, July 2 - Net work in my driveway. Worked on my new drills and did a bunch of pitch shots from deeper rough. I has trouble yesterday in sticky rough. 

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Day 182

At the dry lake this morning checking full swing  carry distances on my irons. Hit balls off synthetic turf.

What I do, after warming up, is hit 14 balls with each club to an area of soft blow sand. The ball hits the soft sand, with very little, or no roll out. I then walk to the area to collect the balls, and shoot the distance with a range finder. I also use a GPS for yardages too. The two are with in a yard or two of each other. It's not that long of process since it only involves 5 of my longer irons. The four shorter irons I can use the short game area at the golf course.

After those initial 70 balls, I hit the same clubs off of tees, and recorded those yardages. Hit 5 balls with each club.

I am only concerned about the carry yardage of my clubs. Roll out can change too easily due to course conditions, at any given time. I make my club selection based on those conditions.

Afterwards, since I had my dogs with me, we took a walk. Maybe a couple of miles, or so. I took an old 6 iron, and three balls, which I used to hit balls off the very thin lies the dry lake bed provided. I wish I could get the same roll out on my course's fairways.....lol

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

DAY 223   A long day.   Started by spending 2 hours working on my short wedges (20-30 yards)... a combination of 90 minutes working on technique and 30 minutes on targets (20-30 yards away).   Lunch,  Then out to the range for an hour going through my GGGA assigned drills help keep the club more in front of me, and getting onto the left side.  Finally went out on the course... on the front nine I hit LOTS of extra shots and did not keep score.  Then went to the back nine, played one ball, and shot 1 over par.  Time for shower and a rest.  When it is 90 degrees out there, it is draining... but as my coach always says, "Get better or get beaten!" 

• Administrator

Day 149 - July 2, 2018 - I was going to start my SuperSpeed stuff today, but that failed, so I had to settle for hitting some putts in the basement before my daughter and her boyfriend took it over. :-P

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Day 61:

15-20 minutes of hitting foam balls into my fence. Hit the ball a little thinsky the last couple of weeks. The ball has been on target but distance control with the shorter irons especially has been spotty. 

Day 7 July 2, 2018

More hands forward at impact work and hitting the ball before the ground. I also did some chipping drill where I chipped multiple balls to a target using different trajectories. 

Day 4

Worked on backswing pieces indoors after volleyball. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Day 32 -- medicine ball work, both this morning and this evening.  When I type this out, it feels like a cop-out, but a look at my last few rounds and I'm short on distance.  I am also reviewing the "launch it" sections in LSW and will add that difference to my practice tomorrow.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

DAY 224     Spent 2 hours on the putting green working through a series of drills.  Here are the drills:

1. Make 25 in a row from 3 feet (did it on the first try)
  2. Make 20 in a row within a 3 foot circle at 20 feet (took two tries)
  3. Make 20 in a row within a 3 foot circle at 30 feet (took two tries)
  4. Make 20 in a row within a 3 foot circle at 45 feet (after an hour and 15 minutes of trying I stopped!! -- never accomplished it)

Of all the misses for the last three drills only 1 was too long, the rest were short.   The matches my experience on the golf course where most of my misses are short, I am rarely too long.  I would have made 100s of more putts if only I had hit them 6 inches longer!!  Ha Ha!

Day 183

Played 18 holes this morning. Carded an 81

Focus was on hitting the ball, finding it, and hitting it again. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Day 5

workes on short game and full swing at the range. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

• Administrator

Day 150 - July 3, 2018 - A bit more than five minutes of SuperSpeed stuff. Also taught a junior clinic and had to demonstrate things many times. What they don't realize is that I'm working on my swing the whole time. ;-)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Bookkeeping Post - I am not practicing today, first day I've missed since May 31.   So I'm still at least 26 of 28.  I did some stretching this morning when I woke up, but it isn't golf focused and I cannot count it as my practice in good faith for this event.

So, today.  I got out of work at time X, I knew I'd get out of work at time X, and I have plans opposite end of city from where I live at time X+3.5 hours, right near a course I like with a nice practice facility.  So I fill my water bottle with ice and water at the office, took a Powerade Zero from my office fridge (which I put there yesterday morning in anticipation of this today), I head on over to that course, I have a spare golf shirt in the car so I'm not swinging in my work shirt, I put that on, go to my trunk to put on my golf shoes and... 

And I discover that I left my clubs in my garage.  I took them out Sunday afternoon for... who knows what reason. 

So I'm holed up in a coffee shop working on something not golf related.  And by the time I get home tonight, who knows if I'll have the energy for even five minutes of practice.  I'm going with "probably not" since it'll be like 11pm and I woke up at 530 this morning.

So frustrating... and I plan to play later this week too, and I could have used the extra practice. :-(  

-- Michael | My swing! 

Day 62:

18 holes of short game golf at the practice green right after work today. My short game has slipped the last few weeks while I focused hard on getting rid of those shanks. One over bogey golf today. 16% scrambling. Meh. Need to just drop a bucket of balls and work on proper technique again.