IGNORED

Will Hitting Off Mats Damage My Shiny New Callaways?

ZANDER1994
Note: This thread is 2285 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

It's winter in Minnesnowta and I have been frequenting the golf dome. The off-season prompted me to get some new equipment and I just received brand new Callaway XR Steelheads in the mail. I would love to take these to the dome but I worry hitting with them off mats will mess up their lie angles. Is this a legitimate concern? I don't care much about scuffs, just altering their playability. 

16 minutes ago, ZANDER1994 said:

I would love to take these to the dome but I worry hitting with them off mats will mess up their lie angles. Is this a legitimate concern?

You should be fine. If you practice and play a lot I'd get them checked out maybe once a year, but they shouldn't get bent from one range session.

• Upvote 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

25 minutes ago, billchao said:

You should be fine. If you practice and play a lot I'd get them checked out maybe once a year, but they shouldn't get bent from one range session.

Agree, especially since they’re  not forged.

Edited by Lihu

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

My forged irons are going on 8 years old and I practice off mats exclusively.  I do so because I don't like nicking up the faces by striking one sand coated ball after another in the "natural" areas.  Neither loft or lie has been altered after god knows how many tens of thousands of passes.

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

6 hours ago, Buckeyebowman said:

Just how strong are you? I'm thinking you'll just get some green "goo" on the bottom edge of your irons!

^^

Just a bit of green residue from the matts. Just wet your finger and wipe it off.

Unless you are the Hulk then your irons should be ok :-D

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

Note: This thread is 2285 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!