IGNORED

struggling to get 3 hybrid in the air.

ajwk1967
Note: This thread is 2281 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I currently play 3 and 4 hybrid both Callaway XR regular shaft. I really like the 4 hybrid and use it a lot but I cannot get the 3 high enough in the air unless the ground is firm or conditions are very windy it becomes a redundant club in the bag. I have had other hybrids in the past that have worked better when my handicap was worse! 

When throwing for distance; it is best to use a shorter, heavier, club - like a sand wedge or putter.  The extra weight, and shorter shaft, allow them to cut thru the air better.  Hope this helps.

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Is there any reason not to bring back one of those hybrids that worked well for you before?  If it ain't broke don't fix it, my Ping G5 hybrid is great and it's pretty old.  Do they not generate the distance that you're going for?  You could try a higher lofted fairway wood such as a 7W, which may give you the ball flight/distance combo you're after.  Just my <$0.02.

Diego’s Gear
Driver: Callaway Great Big Bertha at 11.5*
5W: Taylormade Jetspeed 19*
Hybrid: Ping G5 22*
Irons: Mizuno MX-23 4-PW
Wedges: Cleveland RTX 2.0 50*, 54*, 58*
Putter: Ping Ketsch 33”
My Swing: https://thesandtrap.com/forums/topic/93417-my-swing-foot-wedge/

Have you tried moving the ball further forward in your stance?

That really helped me with the height on my 3 hybrid 

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

55 minutes ago, klineka said:

Have you tried moving the ball further forward in your stance?

That really helped me with the height on my 3 hybrid 

That is ironic, I was going to suggest just the opposite!  

3 minutes ago, NJpatbee said:

That is ironic, I was going to suggest just the opposite!  

Moving the ball further forward will help to try and catch the ball on the way up instead of on the way down. 

In reality you probably will still hit down, but lower lofted clubs should be more forward in the stance anyway.

I have a lower overall ball flight in general, but my 3 wood and 3 hybrid ball position are basically identical to my driver ball position.

Edited by klineka

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

24 minutes ago, klineka said:

Moving the ball further forward will help to try and catch the ball on the way up instead of on the way down. 

In reality you probably will still hit down, but lower lofted clubs should be more forward in the stance anyway.

I have a lower overall ball flight in general, but my 3 wood and 3 hybrid ball position are basically identical to my driver ball position.

It may just be my higher handicap swing, but if I played my 2h slightly forward of my left heel I will likely hit it fat.  I use a 2h thru 6h and have to fight the temptation of playing the ball forward for any club with the exception the driver which I play off of my forward big toe.  It depends on which pro you listen to but I play my hybrids just forward of center, which is more like a traditional 5 iron.  Admittedly my 2h does not have a high trajectory but I do not expect it, but I can get 210 carry and roll which for my age (66) and ability is fine by me. 

But my swing is just that so your results may vary!

Without seeing your swing, we can only tell you what works for us.

You need to find the ball position and aim that works for you, if you want to use that club. 

Brian   

19 hours ago, ajwk1967 said:

I currently play 3 and 4 hybrid both Callaway XR regular shaft. I really like the 4 hybrid and use it a lot but I cannot get the 3 high enough in the air unless the ground is firm or conditions are very windy it becomes a redundant club in the bag. I have had other hybrids in the past that have worked better when my handicap was worse! 

Go to the driving range with the old hybrid and the new hybrid, and hit both of them.   If the old hybrid is still satisfactory, and the new hybrid is not, then it's the club, not the swing. 

Edited by Marty2019

22 hours ago, ajwk1967 said:

3H and 4H are very similar clubs for me as well. If something is far enough away for me to need a 3H or 5W, I’d rather hit my 4H most of the way there reliably then hope for an up and down. 

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Note: This thread is 2281 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!