IGNORED

U.S. Open Playoff Going from 18 holes to 2

DeadMan
Note: This thread is 2232 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

New U.S. Open Playoff Format  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the new two-hole aggregate playoff format for the U.S. Open?

• Yes, I like it.
    • No, I don't like it.
    • I'm firmly planted on the fence.

Who is the most deserving US Open winner? The guy who A- wins a 2 hole playoff or,  B- 4 hole playoff or,  C- 18 hole playoff?     I don't see how the USGA enhanced their flagship event with this decision, instead they've found a way to cheapen it in the event of a tie after 72 holes.

PING G400 Max 9*  Taylormade  M2 15*  Callaway Steelhead XR 19* & 22*   Callaway Apex CF-16 5-GW  Callaway MD3 54* & 58*  RIFE 2 Bar Hybrid Mallet 34"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
24 minutes ago, 3jacker said:

4 hole aggregate is most appropriate and less subject to the fickleness of one shot or hole (ball in divot, bad break, etc.). 

That said, too, they've also already played 72 holes.

It's not like the entire championship is determined by two holes. It's determined by - in the rare case that there's even a tie - 74 holes.

Thinking of it that way means a divot one player finds on the second hole on Thursday might have meant he could have won outright… But recency bias is a strong and powerful thing. :-)

10 minutes ago, GrandStranded said:

Who is the most deserving US Open winner? The guy who A- wins a 2 hole playoff or,  B- 4 hole playoff or,  C- 18 hole playoff?     I don't see how the USGA enhanced their flagship event with this decision, instead they've found a way to cheapen it in the event of a tie after 72 holes.

I disagree.

And again, they're crowning a champion after 74 holes.

People - except for Tiger vs. Rocco - generally don't tune in to watch a Monday playoff.

So by seeing a champion crowned Sunday night, I would argue that they've done the opposite of cheapening the event in the rare case that we have a tie: the ultimate "cheap" feeling is not seeing a winner crowned Sunday night when almost nobody will tune in to watch on Monday.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I agree, i prefer a Sunday champion. I always knew the monday winner of the major on online news portals, so boring.

1 hour ago, 3jacker said:

4 hole aggregate is most appropriate and less subject to the fickleness of one shot or hole (ball in divot, bad break, etc.). 

I'm sure the only reason this obvious solution wasn't chosen was because the R&A does it.

I am on the fence with this. I hate the fact it is only two holes. But I want a winner on Sunday like the rest of us.

I get the logistics of trying to have anything other than a two-hole aggregate playoff on certain courses. For instance, at Pebble Beach you basically would have 2 options for an aggregate playoff that was not an 18-hole playoff... You either A) would play 17 & 18 (Which I'm sure they will do in a situation like this) or you'd have to play the entire lower part of the figure-eight. So you'd have to play 1, 2, 3, 17, & 18 (4 and 17 share a tee so this would work).

Some courses are better suited for aggregate playoffs than others, for instance at Torrey Pines, the 7th tee is pretty close to the 18th tee, So for a 2 hole playoff you'd just play 7, skip 8, and play 18. Winged Foot will be tricky, and I'm not sure of the plan for Shinnecock this year (probably 17 & 18).

I get it you want a champion on Sunday. But 2 holes, with possibly 1.5 hours of daylight or more? Start an hour earlier, finish play around 6 PM local, and play a 6-9 hole playoff. Plenty of daylight, you'll be done by 8:15 or so... if you do 6, you have time for sudden death... or do 3-holes and leave yourself an hour for sudden victory.

I agree that it's not 4 holes because they want to be different than the R&A. And it's not 3 holes because they want to be different than the PGA of America. But why two? Mr. Davis, you've got some explaining to do.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

If Tiger or another Superstar isn't involved, the ratings aren't going to be great late in the event anyway. It's golf, and it's Fathers Day. Most people are involved with family. It's tough to ask them to hold off dinner because Schwartzel is one behind Dufner heading into 16.  I don't get the need for a quick Sunday playoff finish.  Playoffs are rare, and the 18 hole playoff worked forever, or until last month, anyway. The Monday playoff would most likely be in prime time anyway, as the venues being selected in the future lend themselves to that. If they don't, like this year at Shinnecock, just start it at 230-3pm. instead of early morning. Gives them plenty of time to finish, and more eyeballs to watch it.

Edited by GrandStranded

PING G400 Max 9*  Taylormade  M2 15*  Callaway Steelhead XR 19* & 22*   Callaway Apex CF-16 5-GW  Callaway MD3 54* & 58*  RIFE 2 Bar Hybrid Mallet 34"

1 minute ago, GrandStranded said:

If Tiger or another Superstar isn't involved, the ratings aren't going to be great late in the event anyway. It's golf, and it's Fathers Day. Most people are involved with family. It's tough to ask them to hold off dinner because Schwartzel is one behind Dufner heading into 16.  I don't get the need for a quick Sunday finish.  Playoffs are rare, and the 18 hole playoff worked forever, or until last month, anyway. The Monday playoff would most likely be in prime time anyway, as the venues being selected in the future lend themselves to that. If they don't, like this year at Shinnecock, just start it at 230-3pm. instead of early morning. Gives them plenty of time to finish, and more eyeballs to watch it.

Alina and I watch the U.S. Open every year, she sits on my lap, and watches it... and she's glued. Last year, it was funny, when Koepka birdied 15, Alina said, "No playoff this year, Dad."

Tiger won the last playoff in 2008. It's been 10 years. You're right @GrandStranded they don't happen very often... even though from 1988-1991 there were 3 in 4 years, and 4 out of 8, but usually since 1962 about every four-five years (1962, '63, '65, '66, '71, '75, '84, '88, '90, '91, '94, 2001, '08), with a couple outlier periods when they happened a lot... See the 1960s and 1988-94. Playoffs happen but not as much as the USGA makes it seem that they do.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

1 minute ago, onthehunt526 said:

Alina and I watch the U.S. Open every year, she sits on my lap, and watches it... and she's glued. Last year, it was funny, when Koepka birdied 15, Alina said, "No playoff this year, Dad."

Tiger won the last playoff in 2008. It's been 10 years. You're right @GrandStranded they don't happen very often... even though from 1988-1991 there were 3 in 4 years, and 4 out of 8, but usually since 1962 about every four-five years (1962, '63, '65, '66, '71, '75, '84, '88, '90, '91, '94, 2001, '08), with a couple outlier periods when they happened a lot... See the 1960s and 1988-94. Playoffs happen but not as much as the USGA makes it seem that they do.

And how funny would it be if they had one this year out on the East End, and a winner STILL wasn't decided before darkness? I'd love to see them have to come back early Monday morning anyway, and then get the 2 hole playoff they wanted Sunday night. That would be Golf Karma!

• Administrator

@GrandStranded, good luck getting the TV networks to agree to that. Even though it's summer, they still have stuff they'd rather show than two or three people playing golf, I believe.

Even the Torrey Pines was during the daytime.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

If the playoff results in a tie, the tied players would immediately continue to play off hole-by-hole (sudden-death format) until the champion is determined.

I'm not sure the 2 hole playoff adds very much. May as well just start the "sudden death" matchplay format at the start of the playoff.

It doesn't. It's about TV and nothing else. They want the final round to creep into prime time as much as possible. This makes the leaders tee off at a much later time then they should, and flirt with darkness at a east coast venue. It'll be interesting to see if, and how much, they move up the Sunday tee times to still have time in case a playoff is needed.

Edited by GrandStranded

• Administrator
13 minutes ago, GrandStranded said:

This makes the leaders tee off at a much later time then they should, and flirt with darkness at a east coast venue.

Why "than they should"?

Few U.S. Opens go to a playoff, so they're maximizing the good TV time for the majority of the events.

As long as they dont decide to go for "Nearest the Pin wins" :-P

I can sort of understand the desire to shorten potential playoffs but it needs to be fair. All players involved should have the chance to win and not let maybe one mistake cost them. 2 holes isnt enough. Maybe 9 or 12?

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

Note: This thread is 2232 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!