IGNORED

When everything hurts (how to keep going)

Elmer
Note: This thread is 2187 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have spent most of the winter making an effort to get in a healthy routine. I have got rid of the idea focusing on losing weight or bulking up, I just want to feel healthier. I want to be more active. I want to feel better.

The first issue was over coming my planter fasciitis (left foot), which has plagued me since last summer. Who knew that I could suddenly become flat footed when I hit middle age!
This was resolved with a good pair of insoles in a great pair of running sneakers. Because of this, I am able to run 2 miles non stop. My routine is now 2 miles atleast 2-3 times a week and some moderate lifting with dumbells and use of combat ropes. 

Of course while adding my walking/running, I have developed sciatica in my left hip.  This has not stopped the running, but limited any situps, crunches or squats.

Now that the sciatica has started to clear up (thanks to a dr directed daily double dose of NSAIDs), I increased my lifting. knowing my golf season starts in a month, I started to push a little more with various 3 sets of 25 lb dumbbells and a kettle bell.
....and I goofed up my left shoulder.
My shoulder is still mobile, I can do anything with it, I just have a slight pain, discomfort and soreness with anything over the shoulder or extending.  I fear going back to the Dr as he will tell me to take more NSAIDs and to "take it easy"

I guess the short version of this story is "I am getting old quickly", or "I an not aging well". I cannot even get a decent routine going will out some injury or pain getting in the way. 
 in all seriousness, how do you keep going when everything seems to hurt?
How do you work through the injury and not let it slow you down, knowing that another ailment is on the way?

• Upvote 1

In my Grom:

Driver-Taylormade 10.5 Woods- Taylomade 3 wood, taylormade 4 Hybrid
Irons- Callaway Big Berthas 5i - GW Wedges- Titles Volkey  Putter- Odyssey protype #9
Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

As I've aged I've come to the realization that I can no longer maintain the level of physical activity I once did.  Everything from yard work to golf to playing the bass has to be done less frequently and with less intensity.  Instead of spending an hour, at whatever it is, I'll spend a half hour.  Instead of practicing every day; I'll practice every other day and mix it up.  There is no magic formula and it is sometimes necessary to simply rest.  I suppose one could think of it as the difference between pushing the limit and recognizing the limit.

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

29 minutes ago, Piz said:

As I've aged I've come to the realization that I can no longer maintain the level of physical activity I once did.  Everything from yard work to golf to playing the bass has to be done less frequently and with less intensity.  Instead of spending an hour, at whatever it is, I'll spend a half hour.  Instead of practicing every day; I'll practice every other day and mix it up.  There is no magic formula and it is sometimes necessary to simply rest.  I suppose one could think of it as the difference between pushing the limit and recognizing the limit.

Thanks for your perspective on the matter. I have always been of the mind set that you "leave nothing on the field", therefore I tend to push too hard in most everything. I swing too hard, play the drums to hard, Run too hard. Ex.If I run a mile then tomorrow I have to run mile and 1/2!
it becomes compulsive, or maybe it is a bit of my OCD mixed with impatiences. 
I guess I need to smarten up as I get older and learn to moderate everything. 

In my Grom:

Irons- Callaway Big Berthas 5i - GW Wedges- Titles Volkey  Putter- Odyssey protype #9
Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

I don't think it's a smart move to "work through" and injury depending how bad it is. You can start compensating for the pain in your problem area which will cause more stress on other parts of you body making them susceptible to injury. The best thing to do would be to let it heal and continue to work on other parts of your body.

Also one of the biggest keys to feeling better is diet, that will have the largest impact. A lot of people are seeing huge improvements with low inflammation diets. 

8 hours ago, JxQx said:

I don't think it's a smart move to "work through" and injury depending how bad it is. You can start compensating for the pain in your problem area which will cause more stress on other parts of you body making them susceptible to injury. The best thing to do would be to let it heal and continue to work on other parts of your body.

Also one of the biggest keys to feeling better is diet, that will have the largest impact. A lot of people are seeing huge improvements with low inflammation diets. 

Absolutely! I have been in physical therapy for 2 months for rotator cuff impingment caused by compensating for injuries to hands and knee (in Sept 2017; both now doing quite well thank you after 2 surgeries, 5 injections and much physical therapy). My routine is stretching exercises and using medium-weight yoga bands...Not to build muscle but to add flexibility and a little strength to the joints. If I reach a point of pain, I have gone too far. @Elmerdo NOT "play through the pain"! Get professional help! Thanks for listening to my rant; I have not been able to swing a club since 9/28/2017. -Marv

• Like 1

DRIVER: Cleveland 588 Altitude ( Matrix Radix Sv Graphite, A) IRONS: Mizuno JPX-800 HD Irons & 3,4,5 JPX Fli-Hi (Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue Graphite, R); WEDGES: (Carried as needed) Artisan Golf 46, 50, 53, 56 low bounce, 56 high bounce; PUTTER: Mizuno TP Mills 9

I just look at getting older as having to slow down a little. 

I have little aches, and pains most days, which is due to me not slowing down as much as I should. I am always physically b busy doing something. Some of those aches, and pains are from a previous accident a few years ago. Some are life long. 

I guess I just take pain as it is. I have meds I can take, and sometimes I do. Fact is, a month's supply of oxycotin pain killers last me 6 months. I just keep on going through the various pains.

I was talking to my wife about my right knee, and shoulder. The knee has ligament pains, that hurt when I climb steps. The shoulder, sometimes feels like it falling out it's socket. Both are fixable. I just don't want to take on the down time for rehab. :-(

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

I know this sounds crazy, but I tried one of those magnetic bracelets and my tendonitis is gone from my elbows.  My back and plantar facia not so much.  The best thing I've found is continuing to work on being more flexible and physical therapy. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have been using a TENS unit for my golfers elbow for sometime now and it does help in reducing the pain and discomfort that I feel after a round.  That along with ice and ibuprofen has helped.  I started looking into doing stretching exercises for my elbow and that seems to help.   

As with any injury that is from overuse rest is usually the best thing but I would rather keep golfing regularly and treat the pain as it comes up.  

I have little aches and pains all the time. Nothing big, just there. When I do need a pill, it's that 800 mg Ibuprofen. That, or aspirin. 

I'm not much of a pill taker. A little over a year ago , I was given scripts for oxycodone, and percocet. Kidney stones were acting up. I still have those two scripts. I only took a couple each of  the pills.

In My Bag:

You can go hard but be smart.  Don't know how old you are Elmer but I'm 56 and do Crossfit as many days a week as possible or as I feel.  I developed some shoulder pain so I modified the exercise or did something else.  My goal is to workout without injuring myself.  I still keep up with everyone in the class but I have to modify a few exercises or so less weight.

For about 6 months I only used a 45 lb bar for bench because of my shoulder.  Overhead squats kill my back so I do them with only a pipe for range of motion...who cares if I'm not doing the prescribed weight on the board for the class...I'm not in competition.  I have a problem with my left thumb joint so push-ups I do on Dumbbells and I modify doing wall balls.

Sometimes I'm not up for the running outside so I row for the same amount of time someone runs for.

Go hard but be smart.

• 3 weeks later...

According to my Dr. "shoulder sprain".
take Nsiads, and physical therapy.

Now I just have to find online physical therapy instructions so I dont have to go 2-3X a week at $20 a visit!

In my Grom:

Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

Funny this thread showed up. I have an appointment with a doc due to a sore shoulder.   

I'm not taking anything for it, as the pain is not continuous. I will know later on today. 

In My Bag:

10 hours ago, Elmer said:

According to my Dr. "shoulder sprain".
take Nsiads, and physical therapy.

Now I just have to find online physical therapy instructions so I dont have to go 2-3X a week at $20 a visit!

I did the exact same thing.  My PT said 2x per week for 6 weeks.  My insurance has a $500 deductible so I only went once and asked if I could do the exercises at home.  She provided me a sheet but said I should get a TENS unit to use after the exercises.   Found one online for $50.  I will go back after 6 weeks just to make sure I'm making progress.  

I found out I "probably"  have a pinched nerve, or maybe a rotator cuff issue. Problem is, some tests were positive, some negative. MRI is being looked at. My wife says they will know for sure in a day, or so. 

I can swing a club, pick up  weights, swing my arm, turn my neck with no issues. Yesterday, I tore down a rock wall, and filled in behind a pony wall with no pain. 

What I can't do is sit, and drive. I can't sit at the dinner table, and I can't stand still without the pain getting worse. When the pain shows up, if I lie down, it goes away. 

Who knows. 

• Like 1

In My Bag:

7 hours ago, Patch said:

Who knows. 

@Patch see my mail replying in another thread. Please slow down and nurse it. Hopefully, PT will work for you. Also mentioned your knee. Halyuronic (sp) acid injections worked wonders on my 72 year old bone-on-bone knee. Hopping for you, -Marv

DRIVER: Cleveland 588 Altitude ( Matrix Radix Sv Graphite, A) IRONS: Mizuno JPX-800 HD Irons & 3,4,5 JPX Fli-Hi (Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue Graphite, R); WEDGES: (Carried as needed) Artisan Golf 46, 50, 53, 56 low bounce, 56 high bounce; PUTTER: Mizuno TP Mills 9

• 2 weeks later...

As you get older, "working through the pain" as I've heard is a terrible idea. Your muscles, bones and joints don't recover nearly as quickly as when you were younger. If you try, you will only injure yourself worse and be out of commission for longer. 

I am a lifelong athlete and was competitive in some sports, and have the injuries to show for it. 

If you are talking minor discomfort from sore muscles, then Motrin, and ice does wonders. I'm not talking pain that causes you to wince. That is more serious and may require rest and a visit to your doctor's office. 

That said, in May, we got a puppy, and her and I walk together a lot. Last season was my first "real" attempt at playing Golf, and I went to the range a lot and played a lot more than ever. Having had the puppy to be active with, I was able to keep up on the course and my range sessions didn't result in any kind of injuries. Just playing, practice and taking care of the pup resulted in my being in the best shape I've been in in over a decade. I certainly don't have any aspirations of elite athletics like I did at one time, but it's nice to be healthy. 

• 3 weeks later...

I think Piz said it best. You're not as young as you used to be, so you can't carry on in the same way! You have to modify your routine. As much as we'd like to think, we simply cannot compare to our younger selves!

I am finally getting back to feeling human again. I can now sit, ride/drive my car. I can now sit at the dinner table again. My dogs are getting longer walks, 3 times a day. Still spending more time in bed than I am use to. Not suffering from cabin fever as much now. 

For the past few weeks, except for trips to the putting green, mostly to just to get out of the house, I just stayed in bed. Took my meds as directed. Chipping, and putting were of no concern, since neither caused any discomfort during the whole process.

After a few more test we're run, it was indeed a pinched nerve in the neck, shoulder area. Still don't know how, or why. Just glad surgery was not needed. 

• Thumbs Up 1

In My Bag:

Note: This thread is 2187 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!