IGNORED

Taylor Made P790 Irons

Note: This thread is 2180 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

We had our golf season opening night event, go to hit these irons.  Wow did I like the feel of them.  Never really considered the TM irons before but I may have to give them a chance.  Might have to add to my list of clubs to try during my fitting.

5abba68582374_TMP790.thumb.jpg.5bc1a2b1f9509079a56118e992478563.jpg

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I started a thread last week in this forum titled something like "Hit the TM 790 and ping g700 today".   

Got one reply...

However, I think there a 2 pages about the playability of a dented Lynx  driver...go figure?

i want to hit the 790 again with a shaft that's better for me.  The dg105 wasn't for me.  IAlthough they said forged, they felt far from it.  Couldn't tell distance since we still have snow on the ground.  Good looking club at address.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Administrator
28 minutes ago, Typhoon92 said:

go figure?

No figuring sometimes.

Jerry, like the AP3, the further you get away from muscleback blades, the less consistent you'll be - the same swing and impact will send the ball very different distances.

And they often create gapping problems at the top end of the set (wedges).

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/28/2018 at 8:07 PM, iacas said:

No figuring sometimes.

Jerry, like the AP3, the further you get away from muscleback blades, the less consistent you'll be - the same swing and impact will send the ball very different distances.

Oops, I didn’t see you’re response.  Good point on the distance and the gap problems, I figure I’ll fill the wedge gaps with Edel Wedgs once I get a new set.  Probably take me a while to pick out a new set.  

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

On 3/28/2018 at 8:07 PM, iacas said:

Do you think something like the P750/P770 models would be better in terms of overall consistency?

I have hit both the P770 and P790 on a simulator and liked them both, the P770 seems to have closer to traditional lofts (33 degree 7 iron) than the P790 does (30.5 degree 7 iron)

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

• Administrator
On 4/9/2018 at 11:08 PM, klineka said:

Do you think something like the P750/P770 models would be better in terms of overall consistency?

I have hit both the P770 and P790 on a simulator and liked them both, the P770 seems to have closer to traditional lofts (33 degree 7 iron) than the P790 does (30.5 degree 7 iron)

I don't know.

I play pretty traditional stuff, and I think this is an accurate summary of why:

https://clubsg.skygolf.com/content/the+wedge+guy/5-3722-Blades_Versus_Cavity_Backs_A_Golf_Club_Epiphany.html

• Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

10 hours ago, iacas said:

I don't know.

I play pretty traditional stuff, and I think this is an accurate summary of why:

https://clubsg.skygolf.com/content/the+wedge+guy/5-3722-Blades_Versus_Cavity_Backs_A_Golf_Club_Epiphany.html

Interesting article. Thanks for posting.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

On 4/14/2018 at 7:55 PM, iacas said:

I don't know.

Very interesting article. This is why I went with the clubs I have today...but it was from personal experience.

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

• 3 weeks later...

I have had the P790's in the bag for 5 rounds now.  I love the look and feel.  It's been windy 15mph plus each round so I don't have an exact feel for distance yet.  They appear to be a club longer than my M2 Tour irons they replaced but I will withhold final judgement on that until a calm day.  

WITB:  088539C8-1A10-4551-9AC5-9770625CCBB0.png.328b5e9003a7a51f646d356f617dff83.png M5 10.5 degree with GraphiteDesign Tour AD IZ shaft,  M2 3-Wood, 3-hybrid and 5-hybrid,  P790 6I-PW, 52 and 58 degree Vokey wedges  and 64 degree 088539C8-1A10-4551-9AC5-9770625CCBB0.png.328b5e9003a7a51f646d356f617dff83.png Hi-Toe wedge and Tour Spider putter.  088539C8-1A10-4551-9AC5-9770625CCBB0.png.328b5e9003a7a51f646d356f617dff83.png TP5X or Callaway Chrome Soft X balls.  Golf Pride MCC Plus 4 Align grips.

Note: This thread is 2180 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!