IGNORED

Question about bending clubs

Note: This thread is 2212 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hey all, 

I have a yardage gap in my wedges. Right now I'm using:

Ping g20 pw-123-125 yds 

Ping g20 utility 50 degree- 115 yards

Vokey 54-10 - 98-100 yards

Vokey 58-08- 90-95 yards

I used to carry a 56-08 and 60-07 before I switched to the 54 and 58. My 56 i averaged 100 yards. 

I'm looking for that magic yardage of 105-110. Should I bend my 54 to make it a 52 or should I bend my 56 and make it a 54? I haven't ever had any of my clubs bent before so this is new to me. 

Myself, I would still use the 50 degree club. I would just open the face a little at address, with a little open stance. 

With a full swing, the ball will fly higher, but not go as far as 115 yards. 

Just another way to skin a critter so to speak. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 hours ago, thopratt said:

Ping g20 utility 50 degree- 115 yards

I'm looking for that magic yardage of 105-110. Should I bend my 54 to make it a 52 or should I bend my 56 and make it a 54? I haven't ever had any of my clubs bent before so this is new to me. 

Choke down an inch or two on your 50 degree wedge, take what feels like an 80% swing.  Or if you prefer more of a clock method, do a proper wedge chart similar to this http://www.castnergolf.com/pdf/golf-tips-clock.pdf

IMO, it's important to be able to hit one club multiple distances. For the 105-110 yard shot, without much thought or effort I can hit either my 50 or 54 degree wedge that distance, and if I really wanted to, could hit my PW or my 60 degree also. 

For myself at a 10 hcp and you at a 12, being able to hit different clubs the same yardage is more important than worrying about bending a club a degree or two.

• Like 1

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

Altering the loft of a wedge, which involves bending it weaker or stronger, changes more than loft — it also changes the bounce angle on the wedge’s sole, as well as its amount of offset. Adding loft increases bounce and removes offset, while decreasing loft decreases bounce and adds offset.

Scott Felix, a Golf Digest Top 100 club fitter and owner of Felix Clubworks in Memphis, Tenn., says that every 1 degree change in wedge loft will create approximately a 3-yard change in carry distance. It’s not an exact science.

Also, take a look at this old thread - 5 degrees gaps in wedges ?

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

I wouldn't change a thing...your gapping looks fine, just take a little off or choke down.  You'll be more acurrate than thinking you need a club where a full swing will give you an exact number.

Note: This thread is 2212 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!