IGNORED

#13 - Belmont Golf Course, Richmond, Virginia...Par 3... 171(Blue) 158(White)

Note: This thread is 2134 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Here's a beautiful photo of Belmont Golf Course, right here in Richmond, Virginia (Henrico County's municipal course - home to the 1949 PGA Championship).

This is #13, as seen in the title.  An elevated, very tricky, par 3 that plays 171 from the Blues or 158 from the Whites.  Mishit the tee shot with a 6-iron, and you're in the deep but very fluffy bunkers surrounding the green.  Overshoot the green, and you're way in the back, down the embankment out onto the cart path that winds around.  Edit:  Oh, and the pin is pretty much, guaranteed to be right up front!

Honest... My true mental confession:  This is the only hole that I get worried on and get all freaky, because of all the bunkers that are just waiting to swallow up my golf ball!

What do you think?  How would you play this?

fX5mzzo.jpg

Edited by butchammon

:cobra: --- older model 454 Comp, 10.5° face, reg shaft.
:ping: --- old, classic set of i3+ irons, 3W, 5W, 21° Hybrid, etc...
:odyssey:--- an old DF550 blade putter that I just can't part with!
:titleist: --- NXT Tour, DT Tru Soft, and a few prized Pro-V1's 

21 minutes ago, butchammon said:

What do you think?  How would you play this?

Looks like a great hole. If theres no wind, I'd hit a normal 7 iron from the blue tees and a normal 8 iron from whites aiming for the middle of the green.

• Thumbs Up 1

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It's bunkers all around, so no direction to protect.  Long is out.  So try an uplofted swing on whatever clubs says "center short" of the green to me.  Klineka calls it 7 or 8 depending on the tee and the wind.  I agree, I'd have to adjust, he's about a half club longer.

• Thumbs Up 1

Bill - 

I am not gona buck the trend here. Its actually a straightforward hole to me. Its penal for sure, but not a lot of strategy. From Blues I would likely hit a 6 iron since I am elevated, and from the whites I may play a 7 or 8 depending on wind and how pure (or not so pure) I am hitting it the day. middle of green is the target. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I’d set up to hit a comfortable 8i from the whites, since that’s where I play from.

....and then proceed to block it right, overcook a draw off the planet, or skull a screamer that one bounces over the creek and into the lip of one of the bunkers.

Then, take either 1 shot out of the bunker, or two from off the green left or right, and 3 putt. Score: 4-6. Nice hole! 

Edited by sofingaw
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 5/9/2018 at 5:02 AM, sofingaw said:

I’d set up to hit a comfortable 8i from the whites, since that’s where I play from.

....and then proceed to block it right, overcook a draw off the planet, or skull a screamer that one bounces over the creek and into the lip of one of the bunkers.

Then, take either 1 shot out of the bunker, or two from off the green left or right, and 3 putt. Score: 4-6. Nice hole! 

Sounds like you and I have a very similar strategy haha

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/9/2018 at 5:02 AM, sofingaw said:

i would go back and forth on what club to use ultimately using my 8 iron to come up short and to the right....right underneath that tree...but with good lie i pull my pitching wedge out to lay up right in front of the pin....but go figure i rocket that ball right over the green into the back left bunker...make a pretty shot out of the sand and  and two put my way for a double bogie...shoot a smile at my buddies and say, "dont worry guys ill make it up on the next par 5." ***goes back to the cart and crack another ice cold budeweiser***  

Doesn't seem like a strategy hole, just a straight forward target hole. Catch a bunker, get out on green for a ho hum two putt bogey. Par or birdie a bonus.

Vishal S.

Note: This thread is 2134 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!