IGNORED

Club for long par 5

Note: This thread is 2165 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've been playing on and off for about two years.  Broken 100 a couple of times, but never turned in any cards.  I'm thinking of doing so.  I have about a dozen lessons, so understand the fundamentals, and my apparently my swing is reasonable (video to follow).  Main problem is that I often get busy or travel, so can for for months at a time without playing.  I'm hoping to fix that!

I'm fairly happy with my Iron play from 5/6-9, and my short game and putting isn't bad, but I don't do so well when I need to hit the ball more than 160 yards - mainly because it's not something I've worked on in lessons, at the range, or something I do in a round.

Generally my strategy is defensive, and based around playing one or two middle irons, a wedge and a putter for each hole.  It's not a recipe for low scores, but it does avoid high ones.

However, for par 5s (there are two on my home course - a lovely, mature 9 hole), sometimes 150 off the tee isn't enough, and for one I need to go more like 170+ to reach the fairway, or I'm left with steep uphill shot out rough.

My options (in the bag) are:

- 4I -- probably my best bet, but not super reliable

- 4H -- which I tend to slice, and just don't love hitting

- 3W -- which I tend to slice, but sometimes hit beautifully

- Driver -- which I rarely hit, and if I do, tend to lose a ball

I'm trying to work out my strategy to improve in this area - should I:

a) Work on extending my iron play, where I'm most comfortable

b) Look to incorporate some hybrid play to extend my range

c) Look to incorporate something longer off the tee - either work on the 3W or get a 5W

d) Look to incorporate the driver into my game

Thoughts?

Cobra F-Max Driver | Ping Karsten 3H, 4H, 5H | Titleist 690MB 5-PW | TaylorMade ATV 52* 56* 60* | Odyssey White Hot #1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My advice would be to work on fixing your slice. It's not all that difficult to correct; you are possibly just coming over the top (or casting) on the downswing. If you can get your slice under control your hybrids and fairway metals will quickly become your favorite clubs.

42 minutes ago, Dornenglanz said:

My options (in the bag) are:

- 4H -- which I tend to slice, and just don't love hitting

- 3W -- which I tend to slice, but sometimes hit beautifully

Carry on my wayward drive

There'll be pars when you are done

Lay your weary wedge to rest

Don't you shank no more 

3 hits with 170 club is 510 yards.  My goal is to try and get on Par 5’s in 3 (and don’t do it often)...Hit whatyour comfortable with and keep practicing. 

Work with your 3W. There are a lot of times I will hit my 3W twice, and follow those up with of my shorter clubs on a par 5.

Of course, a 5W is another option if you are comfortable with it. There have been holes where I went 5W, 5W, and 7W on a par 5.

I still use my driver as needed, but my 3W is my major work horse on longer holes. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Just take some lessons with the 3W and maybe add a driver later. As long as you keep that 3W or driver in the fairway or just beside, it will be the first 200-250 yds gone from a par 5.

When even you plan to do 3x a 5 iron, it really must be 3 good shots with that 5 iron.

It looks easy to do 3 good shots in a row with a 5 iron, but for most players in the 90's it is not !

Cal Razr Hawk 10.5 | TM Superfast 3W | Adams Idea Pro Black 20 | MP-68 3-PW | TW9 50/06 + 58/12 | Ram Zebra Putter

I've been playing a few years longer, but have struggled with this issue as well. My driver has gotten much better, largely because I never quit trying to hit it, even when I didn't have much control over it. YouTube videos on driver helped. I've also struggled with controlling longer clubs and have used 2,3,4, 5 hybrids, and 3,5,7 woods in a variety of combos, but was never really comfortable with multiple clubs for longer distances.  Didn't hit them enough in rounds to get good with them.

What I've decided to do this year is use a 4 hybrid and a 5 wood for shots over 170 yards and just try to get consistent with them through increasing repetition. Seems to work for me, I use the 4H for 170 to 185 yards from fairway and light rough; the 5 Wood for over 180, but mostly only from fairway on par 5s. I've also quit trying to hit these clubs hard, and just focus on contact and swing through for a good finish. this seems to help with ball contact and with slicing and pulling. Both the hybrid and 5 wood are old Cleveland Mashies, I bought used for very cheap. I hit the 5W much better than 3 woods, consistency to me is better than a chance for more distance. my immediate goal is consistent bogie golf and I feel like i'm getting closer this way. Taking multiple lessons, practicing constantly, and using every club in the bag is probably the ideal, but not a practical approach for all of us.  

Hope this helps; good luck. 

On ‎5‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 11:53 AM, Dornenglanz said:

I'm trying to work out my strategy to improve in this area - should I:

a) Work on extending my iron play, where I'm most comfortable

b) Look to incorporate some hybrid play to extend my range

c) Look to incorporate something longer off the tee - either work on the 3W or get a 5W

d) Look to incorporate the driver into my game 

Thoughts?

All of your options are viable; I would move "a" to the bottom. For most of us mortals, a properly fitted driver is actually easier than a long iron, though some of the newer long irons are more like hybrids.

This moves "b" to the top, and perhaps you just don't have the right hybrid. For me this would be the easiest option at where you are. Generally hybrids will have more loft , a shorter shaft, and a lower center of gravity than a fairway, all of which promote more control and ease of getting in the air. (while a longer shaft generates more speed, the shorter shaft gives more control and more likelihood of a better strike)

The next step would be the fairway and again loft is your friend. Maybe starting with the 5 wood is a good idea.

Ultimately you will want to incorporate the driver into your game; again a properly fitted driver is the key to success, more loft and shorter shafts (relatively speaking) lead to success.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

Note: This thread is 2165 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!