IGNORED

Squaring the club face! Help!

Note: This thread is 2129 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Long story short, I used to hit a nice draw and on mishits would overdraw or hook. My friend told me my swing was flight so I worked to steepen my swing a little and get the club more on plane at the top. Now I can't stop fading and slicing. My drive actually use to be very penetrating, but now its just a high banana slice.

I've worked to try and get back to my old swing, but no luck. I feel like I have no control/idea of the club face in my swing, but know that my club face is open at impact. To compensate, I've been opening my stance a bit to square the club face, but I don't want to get to used to this and need to fix my swing!

Any tips/drills to help in squaring the club face? I've tried to really feel my right palm down at impact, but thats a hard feel for me during an actual swing. I end up just shanking it or mishitting.

• Administrator

Relative to your target, does the golf ball generally start:

• left of the target
  • at the target
  • right of the target

… before it slices to the right?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Iron shots will start middle and fade right on a decent shot and then bad shots will go middle far right or just right from the get go.

Driver will go more left and slice right or just push right.

I've been working on starting with a more closed stance to promote inside out swing, but that usually results in just a pushed right drive. 

• Administrator

The problem is your path, then, not your clubface.

https://thesandtrap.com/b/playing_tips/ball_flight_laws

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

7 minutes ago, lmkhl said:

Thanks for that. Any advise on how to correct my swing path?

Seeing a video is the best way to help diagnose the cause of your swing path issue.  Barring that it'll largely be anecdotal stories to try that might or might not correct what you need or might even make it worse.  

Otherwise, what has helped a fair few people I know is getting into proper position with the club shaft parallel to the ground (so more or less 15-20% of a full swing) and get used to swinging slightly in to out very slowly.  As you get more comfortable with that length and speed, I would stay working on it slowly but go farther back in your backswing.  Not sure if this would help you at all, and you have to make sure you do get in the right alignment all the way through (video/pictures make this much easier) but it's where I would generally start.

Woods: Ping G15 10.5* Draw Driver;   Ping G Series 14.5* 3 Wood;  Callaway 2019 Apex 19* 3 Hybrid

Irons: Mizuno MP-33 4-PW

Wedges: Ping Glide 1.0 52* SS, Glide Stealth 2.0 56* ES, Hogan 60* SW

Edel E-1 Putter

• 1 month later...

My problem is I hit my driver straight for the first 80% of the drive then it tails to the right, (I'm a righty). I call it a fade but it doesn't start right until it is way out there as I said. I aim left to compensate but occasionally hit the dreaded straight ball and I'm in the left rough. I have watched videos, listened to Mark Crossfield on YouTube but still can't straighten it out. I've tried everything I have heard or can think of but still I have this problem. At time when I am so frustrated I go to my 3W which I always hit straight. I even purchased a Cobra Max Offset driver thinking it would help, it hasn't. 

19 minutes ago, cooke119 said:

My problem is I hit my driver straight for the first 80% of the drive then it tails to the right, (I'm a righty). I call it a fade but it doesn't start right until it is way out there as I said. I aim left to compensate but occasionally hit the dreaded straight ball and I'm in the left rough. 

So you're around a 20 handicap that has a consistent shot shape of a straight ball flight with a slight fade at the end, which you can play with and aim for, and your miss is an occasional straight ball that is in the left rough? 

Thats way different than having a high banana slice like you said in the first post. 

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

On 5/18/2018 at 12:35 PM, lmkhl said:

Thanks for that. Any advise on how to correct my swing path?

By visiting a knowledgeable* local teaching professional or visiting http://evolvr.thegolfevolution.com/

*Not all teaching professionals are knowledgeable. You need to first make sure they understand the idea @iacas told you that the path was the problem. Otherwise you might spend many months going the wrong direction.

• Thumbs Up 1

Michael

1 hour ago, klineka said:

So you're around a 20 handicap that has a consistent shot shape of a straight ball flight with a slight fade at the end, which you can play with and aim for, and your miss is an occasional straight ball that is in the left rough? 

Thats way different than having a high banana slice like you said in the first post. 

That is his first post on this thread. He wasn't the  OP. 

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

7 minutes ago, Ernest Jones said:

That is his first post on this thread. He wasn't the  OP. 

Oops. derp me. Sorry bout that thanks for the correction.

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

I had the exact swing flaw. To correct it, my coach gave me a "swim noodle drill". Have a partner hold a swim noodle behind you parallel to the ground about waist high. The end of the noodle should be right about where your hands are at address. The idea is to make contact with the noodle on the back swing and avoid the noodle on the down swing. This will cause a "loop" at the top of your swing and get your club on the proper swing path. The noodle should be placed far enough behind you that your club makes contact with the noodle about 6-8" above the club-head. In the event you don't have a partner to hold a noodle while you swing (I know I don't), Get an inexpensive microphone boom stand (about $15 at your local music store) and insert the boom into the center of the noodle.

This drill helped me significantly with my swing path and all but eliminated my slice.

Note: This thread is 2129 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!