IGNORED

Game Golf Live Continued Use

Note: This thread is 2094 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I bought a Game Golf Live when then Pro model came out and it went on sale . I have 18 rounds logged and I got some good information out of it. It was definitely worth the cost. 

But now I'm wondering if it's worth the ongoing effort. I feel like I've gotten all the information out of it that there is to get. I hear that a lot of people like the tagging as part of their pre-shot routine, but I'm not one of those people. It's not a lot of effort, but it causes me a slight amount of anxiety a few times per round wondering if I remembered to tag. I also have to remember to charge the belt clip. Like I said, it's not a *lot* of effort, but it's not nothing.

I'm thinking about putting it on a shelf until something changes - swing change, new clubs, etc.

If you're continuing to use a shot tracking system after your stats stabilized, do you find the benefits diminish over time? Have you considered stopping using it?

1 hour ago, Dick Kusleika said:

But now I'm wondering if it's worth the ongoing effort. I feel like I've gotten all the information out of it that there is to get. I hear that a lot of people like the tagging as part of their pre-shot routine, but I'm not one of those people. It's not a lot of effort, but it causes me a slight amount of anxiety a few times per round wondering if I remembered to tag. I also have to remember to charge the belt clip. Like I said, it's not a *lot* of effort, but it's not nothing.

I got mine about two years ago and use it continuously. 

Are you practicing to improve?  I like that I can measure how well I hit approach shots etc over time.

As for forgetting to tag -- that's what post-round review is for.  If you do this promptly after the round, you generally remember where you were if a shot is completely missed by the system.  And if it's a full swing or even a pitch, I find the system generally picks up where I was when I swung.  I sometimes over-tag my putts -- if I have a putt of 2' followed by a putt of 20', it means the second was my second tagging of the same shot, so I delete it.  I always compare to the scorecard too.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 hours ago, Dick Kusleika said:

Have you considered stopping using it?

Never. The last thing I want is less feedback about my game.

Some of the data from a year or two ago is obsolete, but I just look at different rounds or more recent rounds to get a better picture of what's going on in the present. Plus you can do stuff like compare your recent rounds with older rounds and see how they stack up.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Due to some personal projects this Summer, I'm not practicing. I'm just trying to hold serve. But normally I do and I will be back to actively trying to get better next year.

When you look at approach shots over time, how do you do that? For instance, I can see how far my clubs go and change from all rounds, to last 20, to last 10 etc. But I haven't found a place that shows me how stats change over time on one page. 

One thing that's pushing me to keep doing it is that I may want that data in the future. If Game Golf ever lets us get at the raw data, I'll be sad if I could have had a whole season worth of data to play with but stopped tracking.

I will admit that I like the post round review that editing forces me to do (there's always a couple holes that I'd rather forget). I didn't mean to imply that my "slight anxiety" was rational - I know it's not.

32 minutes ago, billchao said:

Never. The last thing I want is less feedback about my game.

Some of the data from a year or two ago is obsolete, but I just look at different rounds or more recent rounds to get a better picture of what's going on in the present. Plus you can do stuff like compare your recent rounds with older rounds and see how they stack up.

Agree with this. I don’t have a lot of rounds in it yet, but I’m loving pretty much everything about it. I’ll use it until it craps out and then buy the latest version. 

Due to some personal projects this Summer, I'm not practicing. I'm just trying to hold serve. But normally I do and I will be back to actively trying to get better next year.

Even if you do nothing, the data can still help your game. I've used my data to swap my 4I out for a 4H, for example, and I use it quite often to check my club selection and course management strategies. 

When you look at approach shots over time, how do you do that? For instance, I can see how far my clubs go and change from all rounds, to last 20, to last 10 etc. But I haven't found a place that shows me how stats change over time on one page. 

If you really want an in depth analysis, they don't have a page that does that. You can look at your data from a specific set of rounds and select them, but in order to compare them with another set of rounds, you'll have to take screenshots and do a little work. The closest they get is the strokes gained insights where you can compare one data group with another on the interface, which I find good enough most of the time.

That's my only gripe with Game Golf. They have all the data but they don't offer more ways to present it for those of us who would really like to geek out about our games.

One thing that's pushing me to keep doing it is that I may want that data in the future. If Game Golf ever lets us get at the raw data, I'll be sad if I could have had a whole season worth of data to play with but stopped tracking.

I like having the old data. I use it to see how I've progressed over the years, kind of like how I use my swing thread. When I first started using Game Golf, I was a 20. It's interesting to go back on old rounds and see where I was losing strokes, and where I'm still losing them.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

10 minutes ago, billchao said:

If you really want an in depth analysis, they don't have a page that does that. You can look at your data from a specific set of rounds and select them, but in order to compare them with another set of rounds, you'll have to take screenshots and do a little work. The closest they get is the strokes gained insights where you can compare one data group with another on the interface, which I find good enough most of the time.

Er... the basic insights page doesn't let you do this?  I'm not sure I've done it explicitly, but I should check into it.

I agree it'd be nice if they'd have a convenient way for us to download some of our data.  Maybe it's just me but they haven't added a feature in a while (then again, they've got my money already, and it's not a subscription service).

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

54 minutes ago, Shindig said:

Er... the basic insights page doesn't let you do this?  I'm not sure I've done it explicitly, but I should check into it.

If you want to know for example, how you hit your 7i last year compared to this year, no it doesn't. You also can't check how the time of year affects your distances, etc., without doing the digging yourself. 

57 minutes ago, Shindig said:

I agree it'd be nice if they'd have a convenient way for us to download some of our data.  Maybe it's just me but they haven't added a feature in a while (then again, they've got my money already, and it's not a subscription service).

Right, it's not a subscription service, nor would I want it to be. I'm perfectly happy and capable of doing a little digging for myself when I need to.

What I don't like is data that they have but don't make available, for example: length of putts made, proximity from the hole from x distance, etc. The only way for me to get that is to go round by round, hole by hole, which I don't want to do.

Bill

My Swing Thread

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Shindig said:

and it's not a subscription service

Ding ding ding. :-(

54 minutes ago, billchao said:

What I don't like is data that they have but don't make available, for example: length of putts made, proximity from the hole from x distance, etc. The only way for me to get that is to go round by round, hole by hole, which I don't want to do.

It's ridiculous how little data they actually give you.

A f***ing joke, actually.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 hour ago, billchao said:

47 minutes ago, iacas said:

I have a similar issue with Arccos as well, which is pretty frustrating.   It has the dang information, why can't you just give it to me?   Arccos will give you putting information in ranges, but the ranges are too big to actually mean anything.  

It tells you your make % for 0-2 ft, 2ft to 10 ft, 10 ft to 20 ft, and 20 ft to 30 ft.    

Thanks, Arccos, but a 3 foot putt and a 9 foot put are not the same thing and do not belong in the same category.   

so, I actually go through hole by hole and round by round and keep a more detailed spreadsheet.    kind of bothersome that I have to do that, when the damn system has the information and just wont share.

:tmade:  - SIM2 - Kuro Kage silver 60 shaft
:cobra:  - F9 3W, 15 degree - Fukijara Atmos white tour spec stiff flex shaft

:tmade: - M2 hybrid, 19 degree
:tmade: - GAPR 3 iron - 18degree
:mizuno: MP-H5 4-5 iron, MP-25 6-8 iron, MP-5 9-PW

Miura - 1957 series k-grind - 56 degree
:bettinardi: - 52 degree
:titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Putter

check out my swing here

1 hour ago, iacas said:

It really is.  Four rounds in 2018 at my home course and I'm now starting to put together notes about how I do hole by hole (something I should have done years ago).  A few holes I've averaged over bogey those four rounds, gonna do some thinking and figuring out if it's a fluke (one hole I think it's just one bad day) and others if it's a bad strategy. 

Would be nice if I could ask it a question like "on hole 12 at $course, where am I losing the most strokes?" Maybe I need to chart a green and maybe I need to choose a different tee shot.

-- Michael | My swing! 

On 7/2/2018 at 3:39 PM, iacas said:

If they sold a subscription service that allowed access to the "raw" data, I'd pay up in a second.

I'm probably the perfect case for using Game Golf, and my frustration with their data has actually made me reconsider my dedication to using it.

- John

On 7/2/2018 at 5:03 PM, Shindig said:

It really is.  Four rounds in 2018 at my home course and I'm now starting to put together notes about how I do hole by hole (something I should have done years ago).  A few holes I've averaged over bogey those four rounds, gonna do some thinking and figuring out if it's a fluke (one hole I think it's just one bad day) and others if it's a bad strategy. 

Would be nice if I could ask it a question like "on hole 12 at $course, where am I losing the most strokes?" Maybe I need to chart a green and maybe I need to choose a different tee shot.

I did this last year when I had a membership.   I just put the numbers into a spreadsheet.   It was very enlightening to see which holes were the easy ones and which were more challenging.    This year when I go back to play the more difficult holes, I have a different strategy.   It should not have taken a year to analyze the data but ....

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Note: This thread is 2094 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!