IGNORED

Training aids for irons

Note: This thread is 2036 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm fairly new to golf (just under a year). I thought I was getting the hang of things and was consistently shooting high 40s to 50. Recently, I started regressing and chunking or hitint my irons low and into the ground. I took a lesson but can't afford to do so all the time. I will try to take another this summer  

I was was looking into training aids that were not too expensive and found this: https://m.dickssportinggoods.com/p/maxfli-weighted-swing-trainer-w14mxflwgtdswgtrn/w14mxflwgtdswgtrn

The reviews weren't bad and it's not expensive.  I just need to work on getting good contact and getting the ball into the air. 

Anyone have any other suggestions?

Having been a "flipper" for a long time (with a tendency to relapse occasioanally), I use the Tour Striker 7i several times a week in my range sessions.  The idea of that product is to help you work toward a downward strike (5SK's inline impact) position.  I have the "Pro" version, just to force me into the best strikes (and center of the face) as possible when I work, but their normal version is less penal, and may be less maddening for the less experienced player.  You can't fool it (unless you're teeing up or hitting from fluffy lies).  It's been a good tool for me.  Links:

Regular version: https://www.tourstriker.com/shop/tourstriker_7new.aspx
Pro Version: https://www.tourstriker.com/shop/product_details.aspx?p=142

$95 is a relatively expensive aid, but it can be found used for much less...you'd just want to find their instructional videos somewhere online to understand the ideas and proper drills.

That said....

Training aids aside, I've found the 5SK information from @iacas et al. super helpful for me, and lots of good starter information on that can be found right here on this site.  In fact, I'd really suggest you start there (if you haven't already), as it will provide a rock-solid foundation for your swing, and they've made it very simple to understand.  I base all of my training now on that system, and my ball-striking has improved immensely--my full swing has gotten very consistent, and is by far the best part of my game now (only my putting and distance control in my chipping are holding me back right now...because I've been completely ignoring any practice on those fronts for now).

Wade         --         "Thaaat's CRUSHED!"

Driver:  Ping G400 LST 8.5°
FWs/Hybs:  Callaway BB Steelhead III 3w; TM R15 17° & 21°
Irons:  Mizuno JPX825
Wedges:  Cleveland Rotex 2.0 54° & 60°
Putter:  Odyssey 2-ball

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Welcome to the game and the site.  I'm of the mind that the best training aid, for iron play, are the irons themselves.  I've used a few devices over the years but the most I can say is that I got better at using the device.  While there could be other reasons to use a training aid, like strength and range of motion, nothing beats an iron for learning how to swing one.  Bon chance.

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

I haven't tried it as I don't have big problems getting solid contact/height from my irons, but I know a lot of folk say good says about the "Tour Striker" for this purpose.

I don't know it it's still available, but I have a Kallassy Swing Magic club I use from time to time. I use it mostly for limbering up, or just to swing a club. 

I also have a Tour Striker 7 iron. Have not used it in quite a long time. Mainly because it's MIA some wheres. Probably let a friend use it, and needs to be returned. I used it during my rehab/return to golf a few tears ago. It helped to develope the proper impact position for an iron. It forces the user to do a lot of things right in their down swing. 

I tried that club with the hinge in the shaft. If you made a swing mistake, the club would fold on you. I never took a liking to it. I would fold it, due to a mistake, yet when using my own clubs, I hit pretty decent ball flights. 

These days my most used training aids are my own clubs, and the ball flights I get with them. A golfer's ball flights, or lack of,  tells the golfer everything they need to know about their swing mechanics. The more knowledgeable golfer knows how to fix their mistakes. Others need to see their local pro for help. 

Edited by Patch

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

• 2 months later...
Note: This thread is 2036 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!