IGNORED

Who Still Makes a 1 Iron?

Note:Β This thread is 963 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

Been golfing now for 15 years. Have never been able to hit a driver even after people trying to teach me. Always slices to the point I would loose every ball I would hit with a driver. So for the last half of my golf outings I tee off with a 3 iron and I crush it. Straight as an arrow every time on the fairway. BoughtΒ a used 1 iron today just to see how it was. My god I could hold my own a lot easier with this iron off the tee. My first tee of with it around 300 yards. My question is does anyone still make an old school solid 1 iron. No hybrids or hollow irons I’m talking Ben hogan style 1 irons brand new. I’m going to upgrade my gold clubs here this year and on top of a brand new iron set I’d like to get a brand new 1 iron. Please help

I have no idea how to answer your question, but was intrigued by the title. :-D

Are you sure about the 300 yards?

Anyway, here's a "review". Get one of these...

Β 

2i and hollow...

Β 

Β 

:ping:Β  :tmade:Β Β :callaway:Β Β Β :gamegolf:Β Β :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 hours ago, Bungiex88 said:

Been golfing now for 15 years. Have never been able to hit a driver even after people trying to teach me. Always slices to the point I would loose every ball I would hit with a driver. So for the last half of my golf outings I tee off with a 3 iron and I crush it. Straight as an arrow every time on the fairway. BoughtΒ a used 1 iron today just to see how it was. My god I could hold my own a lot easier with this iron off the tee. My first tee of with it around 300 yards. My question is does anyone still make an old school solid 1 iron. No hybrids or hollow irons I’m talking Ben hogan style 1 irons brand new. I’m going to upgrade my gold clubs here this year and on top of a brand new iron set I’d like to get a brand new 1 iron. Please help

Normally I'd say you need to learn to hit driver to be able to play well, but if you can hit an iron 300 yards... maybe you can go without the driver.Β  I'd be curious what the measured distance ends up being though.

Since you mention slicing, I bet you're trying one of a handful of common causes, and I wonder if whoever was trying to help you hit driver was giving you very bad information (e.g., "aim the face where you want it to end up" is something I hear on the range quite a bit, and it's rubbish).Β  Consider at least checking out this thread?

Also, welcome to TST!Β  Hopefully you'll stick around, driver or otherwise.Β 

-- Michael | My swing!Β 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:Β  Titleist 915D2.Β  4-wood:Β  Titleist 917F2.Β  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.Β  Another hybrid in here too.Β  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.Β  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter.Β 

My question is does anyone still make an old school solid 1 iron. No hybrids or hollow irons I’m talking Ben hogan style 1 irons brand new. I’m going to upgrade my gold clubs here this year and on top of a brand new iron set I’d like to get a brand new 1 iron.

You're going to be hard pressed to find a manufacturer that still makes a pure MB 1 iron. I don't think there's a market for it. If you like it, just use the one you have.

Bill

β€œBy three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Yea I’d like to get a better reading on a nice flat driving range. But it was further then any wood shot I ever had and the club felt good nice solid hit. If anyone ever finds a manufacture that makes a 1 iron just give me a shout. I’ll use this one I have now but would be nice to find a new one when I go get new clubs. The guy at the shop said if and when I go get new clubs he will do some resea ch for me to see if he can find one.Β 

Some people look at me funny when I tee up with an iron in my hand and then are a little surprised I made it almost as far as them with a 3 iron but my 2nd shot is dead nuts in the fairway and there hitting out of the ruff.

If I remember I’ll get a better reading I know 300 is pushing it I lost it in the top of the trees. I range finded the start of the woods and it was 250 so I just adjusted a little further into the woods. So between 250 and 300. And my range finder isn’t top of the line probably plus or minus 20 yards on the range finder.Β 

Some people look at me funny when I tee up with an iron in my hand and then are a little surprised I made it almost as far as them with a 3 ironΒ 

No one gives me funny looks when I pull out my 3i or even 6i even offΒ the tee even over water, but then again,Β they’ve seen my driver the first few holes. Kidding...Β :-D

I also hitΒ irons when I know that a woodΒ could end up in trees. My hybrid goes shorter than my 3i, otherwiseΒ I’d use that.

On my home courses it’sΒ rare for me to use irons,Β though. OnΒ more wide open courses I use woodsΒ all the time.Β Distance is really important, if you can get it safely.

:ping:Β  :tmade:Β Β :callaway:Β Β Β :gamegolf:Β Β :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

10 minutes ago, c. lassiter said:

I stopped reading after the 300 yard claim.Β 

That's irrelevant, yea? The guy is looking for a modern 1 iron and I don't believe they exist.

Bill

β€œBy three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Update on yardage. I teed off and hit on a flat area today. Hit 4 balls. This is all carry yardage with no roll still nice I was hitting into a cow pasture with higher grass so if didn’t roll at all. Ball 1 220, ball 2 267, ball 3 216, ball 4 265. I used a yardage wheel this time. I’d like to see how far they would go hitting onto a fairway with roll.Β 

45 minutes ago, c. lassiter said:

I stopped reading after the 300 yard claim.Β 

Glad I could waste your time. Even though your reply has nothing to do with my question thanks for letting everyone know your an idiotΒ 

16 minutes ago, Bungiex88 said:

Update on yardage. I teed off and hit on a flat area today. Hit 4 balls. This is all carry yardage with no roll still nice I was hitting into a cow pasture with higher grass so if didn’t roll at all. Ball 1 220, ball 2 267, ball 3 216, ball 4 265. I used a yardage wheel this time. I’d like to see how far they would go hitting onto a fairway with roll.Β 

Glad I could waste your time. Even though your reply has nothing to do with my question thanks for letting everyone know your an idiotΒ 

1.Β  It's you're, not your.

2.Β  If you want serious input in a chatroom, it might be best not to begin by stating you can hit your 1 iron further than Brooks Koepka.

3.Β  You're hitting into a farm field but have access to a yardage wheel?Β  OK, sure.

4.Β  So you wheeled your way out into this "higher grass" but found all 4 ballsΒ  and were able to take a direct measurement from the tee?Β 

I think everything you've posted so far is complete nonsense, but by all means keep going.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, c. lassiter said:

I think everything you've posted so far is complete nonsense, but by all means keep going.

Can we let it go now? Thanks.

Bill

My Swing Thread

22 minutes ago, c. lassiter said:

1.Β  It's you're, not your.

2.Β  If you want serious input in a chatroom, it might be best not to begin by stating you can hit your 1 iron further than Brooks Koepka.

3.Β  You're hitting into a farm field but have access to a yardage wheel?Β  OK, sure.

4.Β  So you wheeled your way out into this "higher grass" but found all 4 ballsΒ  and were able to take a direct measurement from the tee?Β 

Sounds like your butt hurt. I bought a yardage wheel at local hardware store when I was buying my place to see how many acres I was buying. Still haven’t gave me any input on my question. Still looking for some input from you about a manufacture that sells a 1 iron. And a yardage wheel will roll over grass. And I found all 4 balls because I have eyes and they work pretty well. Finding a bright white ball sitting in green grass is a little bit easier then findingΒ speckles of deer blood sitting on brown grass in the middle of hunting season after cracking a deer couple hundred yards away.Β 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Bungiex88 said:

Still looking for some input from you about a manufacture that sells a 1 iron.Β 

What loft are you looking for?Β  Titleist has the 718 T-MB and T-CB that have an iron stamped "2" that are 17 and 18 degrees respectively.Β  For reference, a typical 3-wood has about 15.5 degrees of loft.Β  Β  Ping has the G and G400 crossovers, with the ones stamped "3" having 19 and 18 degrees of loft respectively.Β  Β Cobra has the King utility iron, the 3 having 18 degrees of loft.Β  Mizuno has the MP 18 MMC Fli Hi irons, the 3 has a loft of 18 degrees.

If you adamantly want one stamped "1," you may have trouble.Β  If you want something that has more or less the loft of a 1-iron, or something to use as a driving iron, there are plenty of options.Β 

-- Michael | My swing!Β 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:Β  Titleist 915D2.Β  4-wood:Β  Titleist 917F2.Β  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.Β  Another hybrid in here too.Β  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.Β  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter.Β 

1 hour ago, Bungiex88 said:

Still looking for some input from you about a manufacture that sells a 1 ironο»Ώ.Β 

Iron lofts have gotten a lot stronger over time. I think the old 1-irons were maybe between 15 to 18 degrees. So the 17 to 18 degree examples that shindig mentioned might suffice. I would also think you would want a modern design that is more forgiving than an old blade.

21 minutes ago, Shindig said:

What loft are you looking for?Β  Titleist has the 718 T-MB and T-CB that have an iron stamped "2" that are 17 and 18 degrees respectively.Β  For reference, a typical 3-wood has about 15.5 degrees of loft.Β  Β  Ping has the G and G400 crossovers, with the ones stamped "3" having 19 and 18 degrees of loft respectively.Β  Β Cobra has the King utility iron, the 3 having 18 degrees of loft.Β  Mizuno has the MP 18 MMC Fli Hi irons, the 3 has a loft of 18 degrees.

If you adamantly want one stamped "1," you may have trouble.Β  If you want something that has more or less the loft of a 1-iron, or something to use as a driving iron, there are plenty of options.Β 

I did see a couple 2 irons at 18 degrees I thought about. I know my irons are solid hunk of metal. I see a lot of the new ones are hollow in regards to me getting new irons which I’ll test out before I buy but my fear is with it being hollow compared to what I have now I’m afraid of my ball route will change a lot. I’m not really up to date on new golf equipment so I don’t know what changes they have made from my clubs I have probably made in the 80s.Β 

4 minutes ago, Bungiex88 said:

I did see a couple 2 irons at 18 degrees I thought about. I know my irons are solid hunk of metal. I see a lot of the new ones are hollow in regards to me getting new irons which I’ll test out before I buy but my fear is with it being hollow compared to what I have now I’m afraid of my ball route will change a lot. I’m not really up to date on new golf equipment so I don’t know what changes they have made from my clubs I have probably made in the 80s.Β 

If you have a golf course near you, especially one with a golf shop, you could find a demo day.Β  Check out the various manufacturer websites to see if they're near you.Β  Go demo an iron, they might even have a specific fitting recommendation for you -- this shaft will work well, etc.Β  If you really need 16 degrees, some of the irons might be able to be bent strong -- so it says 2 on it, but it might be 16 degrees, as you desire.

-- Michael | My swing!Β 

Note:Β This thread is 963 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!