IGNORED

Friend wants to update driver from 2005 driver. Ping G20/25/30 ?

Note: This thread is 2125 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

He's got a tiny driver.  He tried my RocketBallz and liked it.

He wants to upgrade, and I said all the new ones are essentially the same.

I told him to get a used Ping G15/20/25/30.

Is there any real difference between these models?

I figure any one of them is a huge upgrade from his tiny driver.

Get the G400. Whichever head version and shaft combo they hit best.

I assume that price is the reason you haven’t included the last two models of Ping drivers (G, G400 series).

If so, get the G30. Ive heard that it’s good. 

But I just upgraded from a G15 to a G400, and it is without question the best 400 bucks I’ve spent on golf equipment ever, period. Not one dime of regret.

Maybe try to find a used one?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I could never keep the G15 on the short grass, but I loved the i15.

I hit the G400 on the monitor and the dispersion was all over the place, but the G400 LST was deadly.

Your friend really needs to try out the various heads / shaft combos for himself and find out what works for him.  If someone just ordered me a G15 years ago I'd have probably quit the game by now.

• Upvote 1

G25 is a good choice. I have an old i25.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Titleist 913D2 got me started on the revamp of my bag. Probably less than $100 for a nice one. Forgiving but just be sure to get an appropriate shaft.

If you want to buy new/slightly used, I agree on the G400 series as a very forgiving and great performing club.

Edited by dbuck

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

I use the Ping G30 and can't find a reason to change.  I love the driver with the one downside that it is a bit loud.  That being said I can tell by the sound where the ball came off.  (Toe, heal, or center)  It is forgiving and my first real driver.  I highly recommend it but you can't go wrong with any of them in my mind.

On 7/10/2018 at 8:36 PM, Used2PlayALot said:

He's got a tiny driver.  He tried my RocketBallz and liked it.

He wants to upgrade, and I said all the new ones are essentially the same.

I told him to get a used Ping G15/20/25/30.

Is there any real difference between these models?

I figure any one of them is a huge upgrade from his tiny driver.

I use a Ping G10 from (probably) 9 years ago (or more).  It is a 460cc driver and I love it because I changed the stock Ping shaft with a UST pro-force stiff flex shaft.  Moving from a  TM320 (320cc head) driver to a 460cc driver required me to have a stiffer shaft than the stock shaft to handle the larger head.  I subscribe to the saying that 'the shaft is the engine of the club'; do not ignore its importance.  Best.

• Like 1

Driver: Taylormade M3 (9o) with Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 65 Stiff-flex shaft.  3-wood: Tour Edge Exotics CB2 (15o) with Fujikura Regular-flex

3H: Tour Edge (18o) with R-flex 80g shaft.  4H: 22o  Taylormade Rbz Stage 2 with R-flex shaft.

Irons (5-PW): Titleist 804os with True Temper reg. flex shaft.  Wedges: 50o deg Titleist SM-7 12o bounce F grind, 56o (bent to 54o) Cleveland RTG sand wedge, Cleveland RTX-3 CB 58o wedge 9o bounce.

Putter: TaylorMade Ghost Monte Carlo w/Super Stroke 2.0 grip

Ping makes great drivers have owned the G20-G25-G30SF tech ....all very nice ...I wish I spent more time sorting out the shaft on the last one before I got the BUY new driver Bug ..

Go Foxy Go

Note: This thread is 2125 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!