IGNORED

Stock set PW or 45* "Wedge Set" wedge?

Note: This thread is 2082 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

What is your opinion here? Should you go with the PW that comes with your set or substitute it with a 45* wedge from a wedge set like Vokey?  Pros and cons to doing something like this? I know most stock PW's anymore come in 46ish degrees but its my understanding that most Tour players are going away from a stock set PW and trading it out for a 45/46 degree wedge that matches the set that they would have for SW, their Lob wedge and a Gap wedge if needed

Thomas

Driver: :tmade: M3 10*  3 Wood: :nike: Vapor Fly 12*  Hybrid: :tmade: P790 UDI 2 Iron  Irons: :titleist: 716 AP2 (4-PW)  Wedges: :vokey:  52*, 56*, 60* Putter: :tmade: TP Juno  Shoes: :nike: Lunar Command,  :adidas: 360 Traxion, :adidas: Tour Boost 360  Bag: :titleist: 2016 Lightweight Stand Bag

I would say it depends on the gaps. I see you are a 6, so you probably don't have this problem. I find that I don't get quite the relative distance from my specialty wedges that I do from the PW that matches the set. I also prefer not to hit my specialty wedges full nuke.  I currently have 52-56-60 Vokeys, and am thinking of adding another gap wedge to my set (53 I think) to use instead of the 52 Vokey, at least most of the time.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

8 minutes ago, dbuck said:

I would say it depends on the gaps. I see you are a 6, so you probably don't have this problem. I find that I don't get quite the relative distance from my specialty wedges that I do from the PW that matches the set. I also prefer not to hit my specialty wedges full nuke.  I currently have 52-56-60 Vokeys, and am thinking of adding another gap wedge to my set (53 I think) to use instead of the 52 Vokey, at least most of the time.

I think for me what it comes down to is what I see when I set the club down.  When I get that club that looks like a sand wedge or lob wedge I just get more confidence in hitting right down on the ball and taking a nice divot as opposed to a club that doesn't necessarily give me that confident mentality.  I wouldn't say I have a problem with distance gapping but am really considering going with the 45* or 46* to give me the confidence to get down after it and hit it with that nice "dollar bill" divot we all like to see

Thomas

Driver: :tmade: M3 10*  3 Wood: :nike: Vapor Fly 12*  Hybrid: :tmade: P790 UDI 2 Iron  Irons: :titleist: 716 AP2 (4-PW)  Wedges: :vokey:  52*, 56*, 60* Putter: :tmade: TP Juno  Shoes: :nike: Lunar Command,  :adidas: 360 Traxion, :adidas: Tour Boost 360  Bag: :titleist: 2016 Lightweight Stand Bag

You just have to decide where you plan on using the PW more. For full swings I would stick with the set wedge. For shorter shots, you could gravitate towards the blade style. But like the other post said, you just have to see where your distance gaps fall and possibly adjust some lofts need be. As far as what most tour guys are doing, from what I have read and seen it's about 50/50.

5 hours ago, Tommy_Boy14 said:

What is your opinion here? Should you go with the PW that comes with your set or substitute it with a 45* wedge from a wedge set like Vokey?  Pros and cons to doing something like this? I know most stock PW's anymore come in 46ish degrees but its my understanding that most Tour players are going away from a stock set PW and trading it out for a 45/46 degree wedge that matches the set that they would have for SW, their Lob wedge and a Gap wedge if needed

I stay with the PW for the set as it gaps well with my 9i and I also go with the set gap wedge. From there I get my SW’s gapped appropriately.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

My wedge goes with the set.  I use it for full shots...to me, it's nothing more than a 10 iron.  My gap wedge is also a set wedge...works fine to me.  I use it as an 11 iron and bump and run / chips.  

the "specialty wedges" like my 56, 60 and 64 I use for full shots no problem but the sole being different makes it versatile for flops, lobs and sand more so than anything that might come with the set.

32 minutes ago, Typhoon92 said:

My wedge goes with the set.  I use it for full shots...to me, it's nothing more than a 10 iron.  My gap wedge is also a set wedge...works fine to me.  I use it as an 11 iron and bump and run / chips.  

the "specialty wedges" like my 56, 60 and 64 I use for full shots no problem but the sole being different makes it versatile for flops, lobs and sand more so than anything that might come with the set.

You have 5 wedges? So your gaps are: PW 45...UW 50? Then SW 56-60-64? Do you really use the 60* and 64* for different shots? I’m just curious. 

Edited by Vinsk

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Yes, I use them all.  I don't use the 64 a whole lot but I'd miss not having it.  The 60 I use a lot from 100 yards in on full shots, chips around the green and in greenside bunkers.  The 56 is for full shots under 115 and short finesse chips around the green where I don't want the roll out from my 50 degree.  The 45 degree pw is just a 10 iron to me...no chipping, the 50 does that along with shots 115-125.

Me personally, I would stay with the set wedge(s). The gaps will be  consistent, as will be the swing weights. 

Just my opinion, but anything over 60* degrees will work best for scratch, or better golfers. That's not  to say lower single didgit golfers can use them. Just saying those higher lofts are geared for the better swings.

Edited by Patch
  • Informative 1

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Note: This thread is 2082 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!