IGNORED

Shortening Driver Shaft

dbuck
Note: This thread is 2069 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am thinking I will have the shaft on my Rogue shortened by 1/2 to 3/4 inches at the butt end. I believe this will help me find the center of the face more consistently, and offset any slight loss of speed from the shorter shaft. I also plan to regrip with a midsize grip, again for more consistency.

I am told that this will make the head feel lighter.  Will this be noticeable? What if anything should I do to offset this?

• Upvote 1

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It will change the swing weight, you will need to add weight to the head to offset the change in length. 

Carry on my wayward drive

There'll be pars when you are done

Lay your weary wedge to rest

Don't you shank no more 

To me, the change in feeling is noticeable.  I had my driver shaft shortened 3/4" and a few months later the lead (or whatever material) power in the head fell out.  I took it somewhere else and at that point swing weight was down to C9 if I remember correctly.  They added hot melt to get the swing weight back up to D3 and having taken a few waggles before/after, the feel was quite different.

To answer your question, I'm quite happy with the hot melt route.

Diego’s Gear
Driver: Callaway Great Big Bertha at 11.5*
5W: Taylormade Jetspeed 19*
Hybrid: Ping G5 22*
Irons: Mizuno MX-23 4-PW
Wedges: Cleveland RTX 2.0 50*, 54*, 58*
Putter: Ping Ketsch 33”
My Swing: https://thesandtrap.com/forums/topic/93417-my-swing-foot-wedge/

Half an inch will lighten the SW by about 3 points. Can vary slightly based on the shaft weight and if it's counterbalanced. Midsize grip will also lighten the SW.

Basic rule is 4 grams in the grip = 1 SW point, 2 grams in the head = 1 SW point. 

Could also go with a lighter grip like a midsize Winn which are usually significantly lighter than pure rubber. Assume if you are using a standard size rubber grip, it weighs 50g. If after all that the head feels too light I would recommend using lead tape first to figure out what feels right. Remember, once you HotMelt, there is no going back. Once you find the right feel and if you don't like the tape look, a decent club maker can replicate with either HotMelt or installing a tip weight. Good Luck.

On 8/15/2018 at 11:53 PM, dbuck said:

I am thinking I will have the shaft on my Rogue shortened by 1/2 to 3/4 inches at the butt end. I believe this will help me find the center of the face more consistently, and offset any slight loss of speed from the shorter shaft. I also plan to regrip with a midsize grip, again for more consistency.

I am told that this will make the head feel lighter.  Will this be noticeable? What if anything should I do to offset this?

It's Smart I had 3/4" tipped of mine and am hitting at 80% fairways I'm also using a medium size grip plus 4 wraps. Go for it 

• Like 1

I thought about this, but in the end I opted to buy a Mini driver (  which in every respect is like a  hybrid of a driver and 3 -wood)  with a 43.5 inch shaft. It produces the results you would expect - maximum distance is not as far, but dispersion is better. I've been happy with this, and I rarely play my long Driver now.

Not sure how much difference such a small shortening will make, although I can't see why it wouldn't do the same (less distance, improved consistency) to a lesser degree if done properly. 

Buy a package of lead tape from your local golf shop.  It's not very expensive.  Start by applying 3 pieces about 1.5" in length along the back of the club like this:

witb_2_small.jpg.b7a92322c05a2aa564a49ef38186e03c.jpg

If it still feels a little light, add another strip of tape.  This stuff is the best...easy to use, inexpensive, won't damage the finish of your clubs, and its foolproof.  Worst case scenario is peel it off and start over!

Bridgestone j40 445 w/ Graphite Design AD DJ-7
Callaway Steelhead Plus 3 wood w/ RCH Pro Series 3.2
Adams Idea Pro hybrids (3 & 4) w/ Aldila VS Proto 
Bridgestone j33 CB (5-PW) w/ original Rifle 5.5
Bridgestone West Coast 52*, j40 satin 56* & 60* w/ DG S-300
Odyssey White Hot XG #9
Bridgestone B330-RX

I shortened my driver by 1 inch.  I cannot tell the difference in the weight.  The difference that I can see is in the launch angle.  I now hit the ball on a lower trajectory.  I have adjusted  the loft up from 9.5 to 10.5 and that seems to have made the trajectory back where I started.  Distance is within 5 yards of what I started with.  I am hitting 2 more fairways per round than before I started.  I am happy with the changes.

Note: This thread is 2069 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!