IGNORED

How to become successful in golf at 17

Hayden888
Note: This thread is 2077 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hello everyone! This is my first post on this forum and I’ve been thinking a lot lately. I picked up a golf club after my gpa made me at age 15 almost 16 and have played almost everyday since. I love this sport and the people in it, including you guys. I just don’t know how well I’m progressing. I started shooting in the 100’s and now down to mid 80’s. I want this to be my life but I also have to be realistic to myself because not everyone can do this, but I want to be able too! Everyone you hear of has started a young age like Tiger, Rory and Jordan S. Can I do it? I’m just about to start my Junior year of high school and do nothing but golf and practice. Thank you everyone for your time, it means a lot. :)

Are you looking to turn pro, or just want to be able to enjoy the game for the rest of your life? You're well behind on the former but well on your way on the latter.

• Like 2

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I want nothing more than to be pro! This game has made my life so much more exciting. I’m just doubtful on if this dream is stupid to even dream of, or if I need to focus on other things and just treat this as a hobby. 

Inbee Park didn't start till she came to the usa when she was 12. Ricky Barnes said golf didn't find him until highschool. He played basketball, baseball, and football also.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, Hayden888 said:

I want nothing more than to be pro! This game has made my life so much more exciting. I’m just doubtful on if this dream is stupid to even dream of, or if I need to focus on other things and just treat this as a hobby. 

Start small. Join your HS golf team.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Welcome to the TST. I agree with joining your HS team as being a good start. If that goes well and you are able to play at the college level you are on a good path. I imagine in the next 3 to 5 years you will start to know where you stand with your dream of becoming a tour pro. Good luck and keep us posted!

• Thumbs Up 1

-Jimmy

:nike: VR_S Covert 2.0 Driver, 3W
:pxg: 0311 X (3), 0311 XF (4-6), 0311 (7-PW, 52/56/60)
:titleist: 2016 Scotty Cameron Newport Select Putter

"That tiger ain't go crazy; that tiger went tiger!" - Chris Rock

Thank you for all the comments! I have been varsity on my hs golf team since I started golfing, the only reason is because I live in Wyoming and our rival school has all the golfers that are good. I am playing in my fall season right now and am currently 3 man. When I first started I got good very quick considering I had only played for a couple months before tryouts and shot low 90’s with the occasional high 80’s. It just feels as if I’m stuck right now.

I know of a few people that have progressed quickly like you did (I unfortunately am not one of them), so good for you. However, as you know we all hit plateaus at various stages. The first key is figuring it out what is holding you back and then putting the time and effort to get it corrected and make another leap in scoring improvements. This can take a lot of time depending on what is holding you back and how hard you work at it. Good luck to you in your goals. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Thank you so much! Right now Its really my driver hurting me. I shot 39 tonight on my home course just hitting 3-wood off the tee which was a great confidence boost. Swing is feeling very inconsistent even with all of the Range work I put in. Playing in a tournament tomorrow so I will post what I shoot. 🙂

Also keep in mind there are other ways to make golf your life without being a touring pro. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

• Administrator
6 hours ago, Vinsk said:

Also keep in mind there are other ways to make golf your life without being a touring pro. 

This. Consider a PGM program.

There are only 14 people born the year you were born who will have a PGA Tour card for 3+ years. Odds are you’re not among the 14.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Was reviewing other younger golfers results-Justin Thomas shot a 65 at one of the Wyndham rounds and made the cut, when he was 16.

A friend of mine, a 2-4 hcp gave monday qualifiers a shot, for four consecutive weeks, on the Mackenzie Tour (Canadian PGA). two years ago. Travelled and practiced on the road for a month, four cities, four provinces, all the expenses associated with being on the road for a month. Entry fees. Practice rounds , range costs etc (Had a couple of local sponsors supported him).

Had to be in the top 10 for that weeks tour event

4 in a row, shot 72 or 73. Top tens all shot sub par, down to 65's, very Monday. All kinds of competition, ex PGA guys, ex Web guys, up and comers

Have you started competing at the local level. How are you doing. Be realistic, Your results will tell you where you are at and drive what you need to do at golf. 

Get that education. Like Iacas mentioned, maybe its a golf management program.

But...you gotta have a dream...You won't know, unless you do. and who know's what you'll find along the way

10 minutes ago, uitar9 said:

Travelled and practiced on the road for a month, four cities, four provinces, all the expenses associated with being on the road for a month. Entry fees. Practice rounds , range costs etc (Had a couple of local sponsors supported him).

I was fortunate enough to play in a Champions Tour Pro-Am with Gary Hallberg who was a teen sensation in the late 70's and rookie of the year in 1980. His son is trying to make it. He estimates it would cost about $90k/yr to keep a young man on the road, playing tournaments, and trying to make it. His son doesn't have sponsors and may have skipped college to pursue the dream.

Seek out professional instruction. 

In my bag:

Taylormade R11S Driver
Taylormade RBZ 3-wood
Nike VRS Irons 4-9
SM4 Titleist Vokey Wedges 47, 54, 58
College freshman playing golf at Wabash College in Indiana!

Today the problem was my irons and hitting greens. My short game is definitely my strong suit being able to get up and down on most, almost every hole when a few yards off the green. Any drills you guys have that I may have no already seen on YouTube to help be pure more irons? Thanks guys

Note: This thread is 2077 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!