IGNORED

Journey to the Mackenzie Tour: One Amateur's Pipe Dream

Diece
Note: This thread is 1503 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1 hour ago, NationwideTourCrimsonTide said:

Even if all the negativity was 100% called for based on his attitude, you can’t just determine he’s an idiot, that you tried to help, and that he didn’t listen. I’m saying try harder. 

The bigger, more important life lesson is that if you ignore people who are more experienced and knowledgeable than you, when you sought their advice in the first place, you may lose their respect and subsequent help.

Sometimes a little cold water in the face is not only called for, but ultimately, a kindness.

Successful people always find a way.

Not true at all.  In fact, successful people generally know when to quit banging their head against the wall and move on when it’s clear that what they’re hoping to accomplish isn’t going to work.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

35 minutes ago, klineka said:

It's not our responsibility as a forum community to try to "reach him at his level".

I agree. Totally your choice.

However, as an adult, it IS your responsibility to ensure you don’t say enough to crush his optimism and make a joke out of him. 

10 hours ago, NationwideTourCrimsonTide said:

despite how ridiculous his professional golf aspirations seem to be.

Ok.

26 minutes ago, NationwideTourCrimsonTide said:

However, as an adult, it IS your responsibility to ensure you don’t say enough to crush his optimism and make a joke out of him. 

I think you’re confusing ‘optimism’ with ‘ delusion’ no? 

‘I’m gonna dominate the Mckenzie Tour and screw anyone who thinks I can’t’ isn’t an optimistic attitude. 

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

11 minutes ago, NationwideTourCrimsonTide said:

If he can't take skepticism/criticism from strangers on an internet golf forum, there is no way he will be able to handle the struggle/grind that it takes to make it as a pro golfer.

This same topic comes up all the time from various people and usually ends the same way. They are serious for about 6 months to a year, putting in what they think is hard work (usually in a super inefficient way) then realize they have only improved a few shots (not even to scratch) and have another 5+ shots to improve before they are even competitive at any pro level and quit (usually losing a ton of money). Could this kid do it? Sure, but don't expect others to just coddle him when they know how hard the task is. If he is super serious, do like all the other greats have done, use the criticism as fuel and prove everyone wrong.

• Administrator
11 hours ago, NationwideTourCrimsonTide said:

What did you gain from him not subscribing?

He subscribed, and was all hot guns… from April 29 to May 4. Then… nothing.

Much like everything he's ever seemed to do.

Perhaps some kind words may have helped him hang around longer, make some incremental improvements, and potentially see the benefits of your evolvr program.

He had already canceled, and he was already getting very, very good instruction from his instructor. He simply wasn't DOING it.

Instead you essentially told a stubborn, hard-headed kid looking for a plan/purpose in life what an idiot he was.

Not remotely accurate. I pointed out - vaguely - that he once again failed to follow through.I said his stay was about what was to be expected… because he's proven it time and time again.

Way to take advantage of an opportunity to help the kid develop some life skills.

I think I've helped to teach him a number of life skills, including perhaps the value of hard work and how often it's required for more than three consecutive days. The value of listening. The value of setting realistic goals. Of listening to the advice shared by people who know more than you do. Etc.

Ha ha ha. No.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

26 minutes ago, iacas said:

The value of setting realistic goals.

yes.

this thread might've turned out much differently if OP stopped here --

Tournament play I'm struggling, averaging around a 7 handicap (still trying to figure out how to deal with Tournament pressure and nerves)

-- and requested help on improving his tournament play. 

my swing thread

3-wood: 13* TEE CB4, mitsubishi 'ahina 80g x; 2-iron: 16* mizuno hi-fli, c-taper 130g; 3-pw: mizuno mp-5, c-taper 130g; 50/55/60: mizuno t7, c-taper 130g; putter: SC bullseye platinum flange (2001)

1 hour ago, JxQx said:

If he can't take skepticism/criticism from strangers on an internet golf forum, there is no way he will be able to handle the struggle/grind that it takes to make it as a pro golfer.

This same topic comes up all the time from various people and usually ends the same way. They are serious for about 6 months to a year, putting in what they think is hard work (usually in a super inefficient way) then realize they have only improved a few shots (not even to scratch) and have another 5+ shots to improve before they are even competitive at any pro level and quit (usually losing a ton of money). Could this kid do it? Sure, but don't expect others to just coddle him when they know how hard the task is. If he is super serious, do like all the other greats have done, use the criticism as fuel and prove everyone wrong.

Agree 100%

11 minutes ago, trainsmokegolf said:

Just want to give OP my best wishes and never give up on your dream

I as well as many others give our best wishes too. We would all like to see him prevail. But a dream without a plan is just that. A dream.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Mr22putt said:

recent tournament

Ouch.

FF743473-2EE2-4471-BA9D-BE6F81FE7416.jpeg

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 hour ago, iacas said:

Ouch.

FF743473-2EE2-4471-BA9D-BE6F81FE7416.jpeg

It was his putting.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Vinsk said:

It was his putting.

Well, you know, putting is important.  If it weren't for a bad day putting and a lousy mental game, he could have broken 80 that round instead. 

2 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Is this the score of our beloved Mr. Diece?  At least he didn't do a WD.

Yes.

Since this is my first comment in this thread, I'll add:  I think it's awesome that he's chasing his dream.  I wish him success, and as part of towards that success, I wish he'd put together a better practice program.  

• Thumbs Up 1

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Shindig said:

I think it's awesome that he's chasing his dream.  I wish him success

I don't think anyone here has said anything different… where people diverge from the "happy feelings" is in telling him that, with his current "plans," that he's got no chance of achieving his goals.

1 minute ago, Shindig said:

Well, you know, putting is important.  If it weren't for a bad day putting and a lousy mental game, he could have broken 80 that round instead. 

Lol. Neither would save him 12 strokes. Not even combined. PGA Tour pros make 8’ putts about %50 of the time. I’m gonna bet his triple and db’s didn’t come from 4 putting. 

1 minute ago, iacas said:

I don't think anyone here has said anything different… where people diverge from the "happy feelings" is in telling him that, with his current "plans," that he's got no chance of achieving his goals.

I agree, but since in reading the thread earlier today, it seemed he thought people were telling him otherwise, I wanted to make it explicitly clear that I wasn't mocking him.

Just now, Vinsk said:

Lol. Neither would save him 12 strokes. Not even combined. PGA Tour pros make 8’ putts about %50 of the time. I’m gonna bet his triple and db’s didn’t come from 4 putting. 

The quote you're responding to is partly me mocking myself -- if you go back in this forum about ten years, you'll find a good number of rounds where I don't break 85 and I attribute it to bad putting and my mental game and I say I think I could have broken 80 if only... obviously I now know better.  

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Note: This thread is 1503 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!