IGNORED

Holed or no?

Grinde6
Note: This thread is 2043 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

3 hours ago, Fourputt said:

With the new rules next year, you will be able to leave the flagstick in the hole when putting too, so this condition may occur more frequently.   It's good to know how to proceed with it.

Yeah I do already in all my solo rounds, and I'm looking forward to the new rule making things easier. 

• 2 weeks later...

So in other words, I'll be real careful when pulling out the flagstick so that the ball drops into the hole. Got it.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

59 minutes ago, DrvFrShow said:

So in other words, I'll be real careful when pulling out the flagstick so that the ball drops into the hole. Got it.

No need!   Next year a ball resting against the flagstick will be considered holed if any part of the ball is below the surface of the green. If no part of the ball is below the surface, then it is not holed but you can put all the care in the world into removing the flagstick and ensuring the ball falls into the hole,  it will not be holed. You will have to replace it on the lip of the hole.

See Rule 13.2c

55 minutes ago, Rulesman said:

Who will be your marker?

A marker is one who is appointed by the Committee to record a competitor's score in stroke play. He may be a fellow-competitor.

8 hours ago, Moxley said:

Right, and I thought it would be quite obvious that I'd be keeping my own score in such games, and that those scores would count for nothing. Or maybe I'm missing what you're getting at @Rulesman ?

The significance is being in the UK as opposed to the US

• Administrator
16 hours ago, ColinL said:

No need!   Next year a ball resting against the flagstick will be considered holed if any part of the ball is below the surface of the green. If no part of the ball is below the surface, then it is not holed but you can put all the care in the world into removing the flagstick and ensuring the ball falls into the hole,  it will not be holed. You will have to replace it on the lip of the hole.

See Rule 13.2c

Yeah, that's an odd one, because I'm trying to imagine a situation where the ball is against the flagstick but none of it is below the level of the green.

All I can picture is a flagstick that's either very thick, leaning a bunch, or both. Because if the bottom-most-point is not on the ground, I have a hard time imagining that a little bit of the ball wouldn't be below that level, even if some to the left or right of 6 o'clock is on the green and some other part is touching the flagstick.

I can't wait to do this - tap in with the flagstick in, take my ball out without it even falling into the hole, and see what people say. 🙂

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

4 hours ago, Moxley said:

Ok, well feel free to explain what you are referring to. 

Under the UK handicap system, solo rounds must be pre-declared and the player must be accompanied by an approved marker. As I understand it, under USGA system, there is no pre-declaration and the player simply has to be accompanied.

2 hours ago, iacas said:

Yeah, that's an odd one, because I'm trying to imagine a situation where the ball is against the flagstick but none of it is below the level of the green.

All I can picture is a flagstick that's either very thick, leaning a bunch, or both. Because if the bottom-most-point is not on the ground, I have a hard time imagining that a little bit of the ball wouldn't be below that level, even if some to the left or right of 6 o'clock is on the green and some other part is touching the flagstick.

I can't wait to do this - tap in with the flagstick in, take my ball out without it even falling into the hole, and see what people say. 🙂

Yes,  it really has to be if the flagstick is at a considerable angle.    I've certainly seen it happen that the flagstick has not been properly returned to its hole at the bottom of the cup and is leaning against the edge of the hole.  That would mean a ball could be stopped against it without any of it even being over the hole never mind part of it being below the surface.  Unusual though. But if in the end it is at all possible, the rule has to cover it.  

If you try the tap in with the flagstick in I don't suppose many people will say, "That's fine.  It's covered in Rule 13.2." 😉

Edited by ColinL

3 hours ago, iacas said:

Or add in a slope to the green.  (Not to scale, of course.  I'll defer to those with engineering/mathematical skills calculate the needed slopes/angles.)

1881764838_ballnotholed.jpg.3bd32166f91b0f8a36444f25381f0dc1.jpg

But if I came across this in play, I'm not sure how you'd actually measure whether or not the bottom of the ball is under the dotted line.  (Unless the flagstick was almost at the edge of the hole so it was pretty obvious that it's above it.)  Maybe slide a scorecard under it from the side?

Edited by Missouri Swede

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, Missouri Swede said:

1881764838_ballnotholed.jpg.3bd32166f91b0f8a36444f25381f0dc1.jpg

That’s a heck of a hole location.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 minute ago, iacas said:

That’s a heck of a hole location.

Yep.  US Open style.

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

4 hours ago, Rulesman said:

Under the UK handicap system, solo rounds must be pre-declared and the player must be accompanied by an approved marker. As I understand it, under USGA system, there is no pre-declaration and the player simply has to be accompanied.

Yes, but as with my last post, the scores for my solo rounds count for nothing - they are just for fun and are rarely full rounds anyway.

I think you misunderstood my first post - I keep the flagstick in during solo rounds because those rounds are not official ones and it saves time, and I'm looking forward to the new rule allowing me to do this in official rounds (which are played with other members).  

Note: This thread is 2043 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!