IGNORED

My Swing (Effington)

Effington
Note: This thread is 1438 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Actually, if you were hitting it straight with the outside-->in swing, a new nasty hook seems logical.  Your older swing would have put quite a bit of unwanted sidespin on the ball.  If you were hitting straight or even close to straight, you must have had a workaround happening in your swing.  Since you began this forward swing with a more inside-->out path, if that workaround is still present, it should produce the ball flight you are describing.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 1 year later...

Hey guys, with lockdown from COVID-19 ongoing, now is a good time to check in for the first time in over a year.  I have been practicing regularly, took about 8 lessons throughout the year, and was on the course a handful of times.  Got close to breaking 100 a couple times, but generally was shooting 115+.

Here are the items I'm working on:

• Take-away: Was recently inspired by iacas' Day 1 - early backswing video, as I work hard on my take-away.  It used to be way too inside, so I'd been instructed to be very much in front of my body (by having zero wrist movement), but this video inspired me to think more optimally.
  • Backswing: Inspired by iacas' day 2 - shoulder pitch.  Before, was triggering a more vertical movement by hinging the wrist, but now am slowing down the backswing to get more shoulder turn.
  • Downswing: Focusing on full hip turn and a balanced finish (by not overswinging).  Caveat: In my last lesson (a few months ago), the feedback was that I need to turn the club (hands) over more in the downswing to prevent a push/slice that I had during the lesson.  I think I Have corrected that but it is hard to tell just hitting into a net right in front of me.

One thing I've been paranoid about is having too flat of a swing / being under the swing plane, which I've struggled with for years.  If you could let me know how I'm looking in that regard it'd be appreciated.

I had this in slow-motion with my Iphone XI, but couldn't get it to transfer over to my computer in slow motion.  I am going to work on how to make that happen, so unfortunately for now it's in full speed.

14 minutes ago, Effington said:

I had this in slow-motion with my Iphone XI, but couldn't get it to transfer over to my computer in slow motion.

Upload it to YouTube from your iPhone. You can then use your computer to get the link and post here.

Also please click “paste as plain text” when you paste the link so that the video embeds. I'm assuming that’s why you couldn’t get the video to embed.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

1 hour ago, billchao said:

Upload it to YouTube from your iPhone. You can then use your computer to get the link and post here.

Also please click “paste as plain text” when you paste the link so that the video embeds. I'm assuming that’s why you couldn’t get the video to embed.

Would I be able to load it from phone-->youtube-->computer?  I want to edit the video so all the time before and after is cut, so the video is 8 seconds like above as opposed 40.

Also, does the video still not show up for you?  It looks fine on my computer but I may have a different view.

13 minutes ago, Effington said:

Would I be able to load it from phone-->youtube-->computer?  I want to edit the video so all the time before and after is cut, so the video is 8 seconds like above as opposed 40.

Also, does the video still not show up for you?  It looks fine on my computer but I may have a different view.

I can normally trim any video in YouTube when I upload from phone-> YouTube 

19 minutes ago, Effington said:

You can trim the video on the phone before you upload or you can trim it with YouTube.

20 minutes ago, Effington said:

I embedded it.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

5 minutes ago, Slim_Pivot said:

I can normally trim any video in YouTube when I upload from phone-> YouTube 

Thanks, I will try that.

1 minute ago, billchao said:

You can trim the video on the phone before you upload or you can trim it with YouTube.

I embedded it.

Thanks, I was wondering how that happened!  I appreciate the tips and for you guys being patient with me.

Cant give any advice in the form of the golf swing, but I will say that from the first video to the most recent video at least aesthetically your swing looks like its coming along nicely. Keep it up

I was struggling with the ball pulling hard to the left, and my diagnosis was from early release, so was trying to fix that.

What I was working on here was:

• Set-up: More shoulder tilt / looser with right arm/hand.
  • Downswing: Less arm/shoulder, keeping wrist hinge longer (maintain lag)

My DTL swing here was one of my best of the day.  The front on view looks like I hinged wrist a little early, any thoughts?  I was getting nice flushed contact on little pitches with early wrist hinge, so was trying it on bigger swings, but it doesn't look right.

As always, any thoughts are appreciated!

What exactly are you working on? I thought you were working with an instructor, but then I see you picked one or two things from the COVID-19 practice plan to work on, and now it looks like you're talking about something different again.

You're not really going to make any concrete changes if you keep jumping around from one thing to another in such a short amount of time.

• Thumbs Up 1

Bill

My Swing Thread

2 minutes ago, billchao said:

What exactly are you working on? I thought you were working with an instructor, but then I see you picked one or two things from the COVID-19 practice plan to work on, and now it looks like you're talking about something different again.

You're not really going to make any concrete changes if you keep jumping around from one thing to another in such a short amount of time.

Thanks, appreciate the insight.  The last time I saw an instructor was in January, so unfortunately can't get feedback from him.  Would love to get in front of him sometime soon, but don't see that happening.

I was working on a couple of the COVID-19 practices that seemed to fit what I needed, but as you note, I am jumping on to the next thing when I feel like I made progress there.  Is this approach ill-advised?

30 minutes ago, Effington said:

I was working on a couple of the COVID-19 practices that seemed to fit what I needed, but as you note, I am jumping on to the next thing when I feel like I made progress there.  Is this approach ill-advised?

You've been working on it for less than a week. As far as I can tell, your swing looks exactly the same as the last time.

Bill

My Swing Thread

8 hours ago, Effington said:

Thanks, appreciate the insight.  The last time I saw an instructor was in January, so unfortunately can't get feedback from him.  Would love to get in front of him sometime soon, but don't see that happening.

I recommend Evolvr for the simple reason that I get great instruction when I want it. I also agree with @billchao that you should work on your priority piece the most. The COVID drills are excellent , but should only be part of what you’re doing. Stay focused and patient. Changes can take time. 

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

1 hour ago, boogielicious said:

I recommend Evolvr for the simple reason that I get great instruction when I want it. I also agree with @billchao that you should work on your priority piece the most. The COVID drills are excellent , but should only be part of what you’re doing. Stay focused and patient. Changes can take time. 

Thanks, appreciate the tip and the kind words.  I'm going to look into Evolvr.

My priority piece is fixing early release.  Interestingly, from a few months ago, I'm finding that the contact with the club is more toe side, when I've been heel side for many years.

1 hour ago, Effington said:

Thanks, appreciate the tip and the kind words.  I'm going to look into Evolvr.

My priority piece is fixing early release.  Interestingly, from a few months ago, I'm finding that the contact with the club is more toe side, when I've been heel side for many years.

The dime drill and today’s drill in the COVID thread are good for early release stuff. The other thing to help is to find out if something else is causing it. I’ve been working on the same issue for the last six months.

What my Evolvr instructor identified for me was my right elbow getting a bit stuck behind from A5 to A7. The fix for me, and I stress “for me”, was getting my hands a bit higher at A4, like yesterday’s COVID left hand throw drill, and then swinging out a bit more from the top. I was swinging down too much. This got my elbow out and in front. The release then happens later and better contact results. I even feel like I have more speed. Shaft lean at impact is correct now. My hand position at A6 is better, my shaft is less steep at A6, my path is less inside out. 

It all falls in place once a good instructor identifies the cause and makes that your priority.

Scott

My Swing Thread

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, just thought I'd share that I got out on the course for the first time this season today, to play 9.  Stunk it up big time.  Grounded two off the tee on the first hole, and for the first four holes, everything was either grounded or pulled so hard to the left that it was almost off the hole.  It was interesting to me because in my home practice net, I was hitting them hard, and it didn't look like they were pulled too much; I knew they were to the left, but didn't see the scale.

I got a par on a short par-3 and got some confidence, and the last 3 I just played with my short irons and was getting good solid contact that actually looked like golf shots.  Since I was pulling everything so hard left, the adjustment I made was to over exaggerate an open club face as much as I could, and things started going straight.  I had to keep repeating to myself, feel is not real.

Definitely an eye opener.  The breakthrough will have to wait for another time.

Brush it off as a first time out jitters issue and stay focused when you practice.

Scott

My Swing Thread

On 5/4/2020 at 6:14 AM, boogielicious said:

Brush it off as a first time out jitters issue and stay focused when you practice.

Thanks for the words of encouragement, but the challenge I find with myself now is that I'm discouraged from practice, because the result is so drastically different on the course it's almost irrelevant.  So I just want to get on the course more and not hit balls into a net in my basement.  Wife has agreed to at least a once/week round.

Is that a reasonable plan, in your opinion?

Note: This thread is 1438 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!