IGNORED

GAME GOLF Accuracy

Note: This thread is 2031 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have been using Arccos for a couple years.  I like the data but the accuracy is questionable.   I have an Apple watch and use the Arccos app for the watch.  The numbers it displays are off a bit.  I have been looking at it over time and I will not use the apple watch for distances, I use my Garmin watch.  

What is the general consensus for how accurate Game Golf is?

Thanks

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

For what? GPS?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

15 hours ago, iacas said:

For what? GPS?

Yes for GPS or in general.  I am currently using Arccos.  I did not want a red thing on my belt nor do I want to tag clubs.  I tried using Arccos as a GPS with an Apple watch and I discovered it is not always accurate and sometimes is it was off.  Enough that I would not want to use it.  My logic in wanting to use it in that way is that it would tie all the numbers together.   The distances Arccos/game golf provides are the same number I hit to.

I guess question one is do you find the distances it is giving you accurate.

I looked yesterday the the Game Golf Website and it says Game Golf Pro is coming out in November.  That is a Black Belt receiver and sensors that do not need to be tagged.  It has similar functionality as a GPS with a phone or Apple watch.  It is using their device for the GPS locating where Arccos uses your phone.   

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, inthecup said:

Yes for GPS or in general.  I am currently using Arccos.  I did not want a red thing on my belt nor do I want to tag clubs.  I tried using Arccos as a GPS with an Apple watch and I discovered it is not always accurate and sometimes is it was off.  Enough that I would not want to use it.  My logic in wanting to use it in that way is that it would tie all the numbers together.   The distances Arccos/game golf provides are the same number I hit to.

I think a stand-alone GPS app would be better than either of those, as the straight GPS stuff isn't even their primary thing. That said they probably also just use someone else's GPS data, so… GPS data can be off by five, six yards pretty often, and even a bit more if it's overcast, etc.

4 minutes ago, inthecup said:

I looked yesterday the the Game Golf Website and it says Game Golf Pro is coming out in November.  That is a Black Belt receiver and sensors that do not need to be tagged.  It has similar functionality as a GPS with a phone or Apple watch.  It is using their device for the GPS locating where Arccos uses your phone.   

I have my doubts about them shipping in November.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Just now, iacas said:

I think a stand-alone GPS app would be better than either of those, as the straight GPS stuff isn't even their primary thing. That said they probably also just use someone else's GPS data, so… GPS data can be off by five, six yards pretty often, and even a bit more if it's overcast, etc.

I have my doubts about them shipping in November.

I laugh when they pre sell things.  I doubt they will ship in November also.  I'll stick with a Garmin watch and laser for now.  For the most part I am trying to hit the center of the green.

Thanks

• iacas changed the title to GAME GOLF Accuracy

Ive tried nearly all of the popular mobile golf apps with and without my watch and found none of them to be particularly accurate as a laser or standalone GPS device. There always seems to be some kind of lag thing going on with all of them. If you wait at your spot for like a minute it becomes more accurate, but you always dont have that much time to wait for it to catch up. Even waiting I've still found most of those apps to be off by as much as 10-20 yards alot of the time. No good. 

If you are looking for just a GPS that you can use on your phone, try Golflogix.   They have a free version in addition to a paid version and the free version works well.

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

FWIW, I’ve used a few GPS apps on my phone (including GolfLogix) and I think Game Golf is the best one available. It’s very easy to get distances to specific points and to see aerial imagery along with hole maps.

It does have the inherent disadvantages of any GPS system.

- John

1 hour ago, iacas said:

That said they probably also just use someone else's GPS data, so… GPS data can be off by five, six yards pretty often, and even a bit more if it's overcast, etc.

I played with @nevets88 last week in the rain and he struggled to get his app to work and give accurate yardages. No problem with my Garmin, so I don't know if it was a phone issue or an app issue.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

1 hour ago, billchao said:

I played with @nevets88 last week in the rain and he struggled to get his app to work and give accurate yardages. No problem with my Garmin, so I don't know if it was a phone issue or an app issue.

When I got the pixel 2 xl the gps on the app wouldn't work at all, but after they updated the app it has been working fine since then. It could be an issue with the version he and the phone he has.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

44 minutes ago, Slowcelica said:

Why not just download the game golf app nd try it out, it’s free and you can use it as a gps app without the gamegolf unit.

The game golf one was the worst on battery of the free apps i tried. It burns through 70% of my battery just for one round. It also the most lag and inaccurate yardages of the free GPS apps i tried. The range finder didn't work on my watch, either. Or doesnt have the feature. The SXS Golf GPS app was the best on battery and worked ok on watch. Only around 30% or so. Ive used at least 4 different apps that i can think of (Game Golf, Golf Card GPS, SwingXSwing, Hole 19) for at least for two rounds and i found that the SXS app was also the most accurate and had the least lag. Still not as accurate as a stand alone GPS or rangefinder, though. 

Edited by Groucho Valentine

1 hour ago, Slowcelica said:

Why not just download the game golf app nd try it out, it’s free and you can use it as a gps app without the gamegolf unit.

I am not interested in the Game Golf App.  I am interested in game golf with its own GPS unit.  I think all phone apps are less accurate because of the phone.

I am considering Game Golf Pro that will come out in the future.  

I have been going back and forth with Arccos and they don't get it.  I keep getting canned replies. 

• Administrator
On 9/19/2018 at 8:42 AM, inthecup said:

I did not want a red thing on my belt nor do I want to tag clubs.

You said that previously…

29 minutes ago, inthecup said:

I am not interested in the Game Golf App. I am interested in game golf with its own GPS unit.  I think all phone apps are less accurate because of the phone.

So again, can you more clearly state what it is you're asking here?

GAME GOLF belt units have their own GPS in it. It's as accurate as what's in phones. The GAME GOLF app doesn't use the GPS in the GAME GOLF belt unit, it uses the phone's GPS. Tagging uses the belt unit's GPS.

So again… what are you actually asking here? Why do you want to use a GAME GOLF? Or an Arccos?

Why are you considering a GAME GOLF Pro?

P.S. I use my GAME GOLF Live, but don't connect it to my phone, and at home I often have to move my tagged shots a yard or two, which is well within the error range for GPS.

23 minutes ago, iacas said:

You said that previously…

So again, can you more clearly state what it is you're asking here?

GAME GOLF belt units have their own GPS in it. It's as accurate as what's in phones. The GAME GOLF app doesn't use the GPS in the GAME GOLF belt unit, it uses the phone's GPS. Tagging uses the belt unit's GPS.

So again… what are you actually asking here? Why do you want to use a GAME GOLF? Or an Arccos?

Why are you considering a GAME GOLF Pro?

P.S. I use my GAME GOLF Live, but don't connect it to my phone, and at home I often have to move my tagged shots a yard or two, which is well within the error range for GPS.

Ultimately I am interested in the functionality of Arccos but with more accuracy.  Arccos uses your phones GPS, I find that by my unscientific observations to be less accurate than my hand held GPS or GPS watch..  Game golf does not use the phone for GPS.  I stated I selected Arccos because I did not want the red thing on my belt.  Now I am finding Arccos lacking.  Do I want the Red thing on my belt, no not really.  Their soon to be launched Pro unit has a much less noticeable black belt receiver that may be able to go in your pocket.  If the game golf app for your phone/watch used the GPS data from the belt unit and it was as accurate as my handheld or watch then I may switch.

I hope that clears it up.  I am trying....

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, inthecup said:

Ultimately I am interested in the functionality of Arccos but with more accuracy.  Arccos uses your phones GPS, I find that by my unscientific observations to be less accurate than my hand held GPS or GPS watch..  Game golf does not use the phone for GPS.  I stated I selected Arccos because I did not want the red thing on my belt.  Now I am finding Arccos lacking.  Do I want the Red thing on my belt, no not really.  Their soon to be launched Pro unit has a much less noticeable black belt receiver that may be able to go in your pocket.  If the game golf app for your phone/watch used the GPS data from the belt unit and it was as accurate as my handheld or watch then I may switch.

1. Many of my players put the GAME GOLF unit in their pocket. You don't have to clip it to your belt.
  2. It's just as accurate as your phone, not more accurate.
  3. You can edit the rounds on Arccos, can't you? I edit all of my rounds on the GAME GOLF on my computer to ensure accuracy.
  4. How much accuracy are you looking for? Because within +/- 3 yards or so is generally decent.
  5. I'm pretty sure the GPS accuracy is from the phone. I don't think it matters if a device is paired or not.

I think you're looking for more accuracy than GPS is going to provide.

Or, as a 12 handicapper, more than you need.

1 minute ago, iacas said:
  1. Many of my players put the GAME GOLF unit in their pocket. You don't have to clip it to your belt.
  2. It's just as accurate as your phone, not more accurate.
  3. You can edit the rounds on Arccos, can't you? I edit all of my rounds on the GAME GOLF on my computer to ensure accuracy.
  4. How much accuracy are you looking for? Because within +/- 3 yards or so is generally decent.
  5. I'm pretty sure the GPS accuracy is from the phone. I don't think it matters if a device is paired or not.

I think you're looking for more accuracy than GPS is going to provide.

Or, as a 12 handicapper, more than you need.

I got an Apple watch to to use the Arccos app to tie it all together. So my Arccos distances would be the same distances displayed/played on the course.  I found that the live distances were sometimes off a lot.  20 yards in some cases which caused me to question the whole thing.  That is what caused me to ask the question.

Your statement, that Game Golf is as accurate as your phone is the answer I guess I was looking for.  If I was asked, is your phone as accurate as my Garmin unit I would say no.  It at the very least is not as fast and while it is lagging it can give bad information.  I have used a Garmin, Arccos and a laser to come to these conclusions over many rounds.

I understand the limitations of GPS and for most shots the distances I get are fine for my ability.  The distances the Arccos App was giving me were not fine, if you were not paying attention you could pull the wrong club more than once in a round.

The ultimate solution to me is a product that tracks my round, allows me to pull my phone to judge carries by dragging a measuring point, allows me to make corrections on the fly and display a playable distance on my Apple watch. 

Note: This thread is 2031 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!