Aynfan

GolfTec Swing Model Questions

8 posts / 1732 viewsLast Reply

I recently signed up for 10 lessons with GOLFTEC, which includes 1.5 hours use of practice bays for each lesson.

These folks claim to have data from many hundreds of PGA TOUR pros to substantiate their various "checkpoints". Most are routine but the one new one (for me) is what they're calling "shoulder bend" at the top of the backswing.  They claim the pros have 0 degrees or, even better, negative a few degrees. This category is supposedly "correlated" with maximizing "power".  To achieve this position it correspondsponds to Plummer's "Spine Extension" in the DVD's which, along with Rotation (Torso and Hips) and Side-Bending yields the optimum "top of backswing" position (for a S&T backswing).  Question #1:  Does this make sense? Question 2: Is this demonstrably (i.e. scientifically) valid?   

Though I'm 77 yo I can still reach this position but not easily.  To get there I must rotate my right hip >/=45 degrees which straightens my right leg a lot.  Question # 3:  Since I never got there before does anyone have a suggestion for automatizing this movement before I reach 100 yo?

And broader yet:  Question # 4: What  are the experiences of other members who have done Golftec?

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

If you can’t get there you can’t get there, but if improving a bit knocks it down from being your top priority piece, then there’s value in that.

Can’t say too much having never seen your swing.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have down the GolfTEC route, about 25 lessons overall, spaced out every 3-4 weeks, or about 2 years worth of time. I started with a pronounced weak fade, bordering on a slice and an index around 12-13. I had a goal of going to an 8 index. I did the drills and used the time in between lessons to focus on the (usually) only thing the previous lesson was about. The scores went up for a while and didn't drop all that much even after I stopped taking the lessons. But...

I am now hitting mostly a gentle draw, except with the driver which is normally a little draw to a gentle fade, but occasionally turns into an ugly duck hook (when I am not sync'd). I have gained a bit of distance (despite having aged a few years since I started), more so with the woods than other clubs. My swing positions are much better (particularly the extension after impact), and the index has dropped to between 7 and 8 (6.6 at the lowest), so a gain of roughly 5, although some of that is in the short game too. More than half of that index improvement has come well after I stopped taking the lessons, because I kept practicing (and playing), focusing on the changes I had made, and reminding me what they were (e.g. reviewing the previous videos of lessons once in while)...

I think that to be successful with the GolfTEC approach, you have to buy into the premise that they are trying to fit into a common range of motions that are produced during a "good swing" and that the numbers don't lie, and work on fixing one thing at a time until they are in that range. Of course, you have to put in the effort. In the end, it's not cheap but to me it was worth it. Given my (limited) athletic abilities and age catching up (turning 60 in a few months), I don't think I can improve that much more and will certainly never be scratch or average 280 yds carries, but I'll strive to stay a single digits for several more years: after all, I have only been one for about 1.5 years so far. In the end, I am happy with my experience and journey.

I signed up for 1 year and 40 lessons. (Might have gone a little overboard)  So far have gone every week for lessons and 1 hour practice afterword and then I use a practice bay another hour per week.  I have taken about seven lessons and so far have it has been well worth it.  I've learned a lot, most importantly,  that I had little knowledge of what a real golf swing entailed.  9 more months to go.  I may give some of my lessons to my daughter as my instructor offered.  It also includes a fitting.

Edited by SemperFi

13 hours ago, SemperFi said:

I may give some of my lessons to my daughter as my instructor offered.

I think that's a good idea. You probably bought more lessons than you need considering the time it takes to learn new movements.

14 hours ago, SemperFi said:

I signed up for 1 year and 40 lessons. (Might have gone a little overboard)  So far have gone every week for lessons and 1 hour practice afterword and then I use a practice bay another hour per week.  I have taken about seven lessons and so far have it has been well worth it.  I've learned a lot, most importantly,  that I had little knowledge of what a real golf swing entailed.  9 more months to go.  I may give some of my lessons to my daughter as my instructor offered.  It also includes a fitting.

You could also ask to work on other things besides full swing such as pitching and chipping. 

On 11/14/2018 at 12:28 PM, boogielicious said:

You could also ask to work on other things besides full swing such as pitching and chipping. 

Yes. Thats included as well as a 2 outside playing lessons.