IGNORED

Hybrid vs Long Iron

Aj_ ninja
Note: This thread is 1973 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hello everyone, so my 3 iron is probably my most inconsistent club, I recently got a hybrid to replace it, I probably hit my 3iron 200-210 yards and probably hit it straight about 30% of the time. I usually hit fat or slice the other 70% of the time, I picked up a TM RBZ 3 hybrid and hook it about 30-35% of the time should. Question is should I return the hybrid and just work on my 3iron or should I just take the easy way out and play the hybrid?

Well, a hook is a "better" player's mistake. Don't know how old you are, but when I couldn't get my 2 iron very much up off the ground I bought a Cleveland 2 hybrid. I took to it right away. I think you just need to learn how to hit your new hybrid. Work with it. Consider the numbers you gave. You hit your 3 iron straight about 30% of the time, and hit it badly 70%. You hook your hybrid 30-35% of the time, so simple math says you hit it well 65-70% of the time. You're already further ahead w/the hybrid. 

As time went on I kept replacing irons w/hybrids. Today, I don't carry an iron longer than a 6! I hit my hybrids longer and higher than the equivalent irons, and I love them. And I still have that original 2 hybrid! 

• Informative 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• iacas changed the title to Hybrid vs Long Iron

Very few pros use longer irons.   I believe I saw a stat that only a couple use a 2 iron and most have hybrids in their bags because they are easier to hit.  

Personally, hybrids are much easier to hit than long irons.    I was just fitted for clubs and the longest iron in my bag is a 6 iron.   I have 2 hybrids in addition to a fairway wood.   

Take the time to learn how to hit the hybrids.   You'll be glad you did

• Upvote 1

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

While I do have a 5i, I rarely hit it. Have 3h,4h, and now hit them far better than I ever hit my long irons.

• Upvote 1

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 SUPER BOWL CHAMPION bag :  :ping: G410 Plus Alta Red CB 55 sr,  GX-7  (acting as a 3 wood)  :ping: 4H, 5H. Sr Flex   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges (50º, 56º, 60º)  :touredge:  Chipper  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g:bridgestone:  e12 for the items I try to hit on purpose.  :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

Learning to use a hybrid is not "the easy way out."  I went through half a dozen configurations before settling on the club I'm using now.  Many times I thought about putting the 4 iron back in the bag but, looking back, I'm glad I didn't.  The hybrid, eventually, won out.

• Informative 1

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

I was a late adopter, getting my first hybrid around 5 years ago. I recently bought a new one in 21*. It is one of the most used clubs in my bag.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

Note: This thread is 1973 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!