IGNORED

Replica Golf Courses

HJJ003
Note: This thread is 1383 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

First off....Merry Christmas!

Now I’m wondering what is TSTs take on replica or tribute golf courses? Houston has a pretty well known one that I will be playing this week or early January depending on weather. See link below:

https://www.tour18golf.com/

How do feel about these courses? I know some people love them as they are likely the only chances to play some of these holes (or close renditions of them anyway). For Instance, I am looking forward to seeing how I do at “Amen Corner”. Others feel like it’s just plagiarism, or prefer tributes over “copies”?

Where do you stand? Would you play some of these courses that exist out there or have you played any you enjoyed? 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

29 minutes ago, p1n9183 said:

I guess it would be fun, but i don´t know several holes in the course.

Yeah the one I am playing had a few holes that aren’t as well known as advertised. Though a lot of them are also. 

I use to play a course that had replica holes of those found in The Open  rotation. It was a pricey course, but these were "Open" holes.  

My wife and I took a vacation to Europe where I was able to play a couple of those famous courses used for The Open rotation. What I found was, that except for the pot bunkers,  the state side copies, although they sort of looked the same, were missing the real atmosphere of playing the European courses. The history wasn't there, nor was the weather. The beer was way different too...lol

Several other couses around here have copies of island greens used on the pga tour. I find them to be fun to play, even though over the years I have deep sixed many a ball on them. 

Edited by Patch
  • Thumbs Up 1

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

The only course I have played with a replica is Eagle Eye (Bath Twp., MI).  Pete Dye's firm designed the course and #17 is an exact replica of #17 at Sawgrass.  Distances, dimensions, slopes were all laser measured and replicated.  It sure looks like what I have seen on TV but having never played at TPC Sawgrass, I just have to accept it is a faithful recreation.

I see nothing wrong with creating tribute holes and/or a collection of renowned golf holes.  Personally, I would not seek out a replica course specifically.  Playing the real thing is what I want to do. I am not going to try to convince myself that a replica is a perfectly acceptable substitute. 

Brian Kuehn

• 1 month later...

Finally played the replica course near me. It was fun. Some of the holes played in similar fashion to the holes they were honoring, especially since I played in high wind. 

Best Holes: Augusta #12 pictured (I made par here!) and The one that was a replica of shinnecock hills. The green was diabolical but loved it. 

Worst Holes:  Either #2 Bay Hill (I just think the hole is stupid as is the original) and #8 which was a hole that replicated La Costa Golf Course. Hit a killer drive down the left side only to be blocked out by a tree. Good drive not rewarded. 

Verdict: Won’t make it a must play every year, but something I will definitely play again. 9DEC7F57-E9F2-43AC-987A-3685EBFC2D16.thumb.jpeg.3d4741ae463b606976e219012af65b3a.jpeg098256D3-92EE-448A-BDBF-0A9A26D642BC.thumb.jpeg.13260689665b7ec8934215e66c1838a5.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 1

• Administrator
55 minutes ago, HJJ003 said:

Hit a killer drive down the left side only to be blocked out by a tree. Good drive not rewarded. 

Not to go off topic, but that doesn't sound like a good drive to me. The tree didn't move, right? 🙂

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

28 minutes ago, iacas said:

Not to go off topic, but that doesn't sound like a good drive to me. The tree didn't move, right? 🙂

Lol nope sure didn’t. But I was on the left edge of the fairway so wasn’t really expecting to be blocked from playing to the green. 

I cleared the fairway bunker on the left protecting against the water on the right. 69923ED3-14E3-416D-B5AE-85F717DD376D.thumb.png.e58be6bbef686fb1625406785ffb3619.png761CEB98-6484-4300-ACCA-65BB25745AC9.thumb.png.da8b1c896cd3c343898f6b71666b4a93.png

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, HJJ003 said:

But I was on the left edge of the fairway so wasn’t really expecting to be blocked from playing to the green.

15 at Augusta. 🙂

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

3 minutes ago, iacas said:

15 at Augusta. 🙂

Oh I’m aware it’s exists elsewhere and even in some prominent well known holes. Just not my favorite design feature. 🙂 

Replica courses I have played Pine Barrens FL, Emerald Links NJ,  Mt Airy Lodge PA, International  Myrtle, They are all nice courses but stating they are replicas is more sales than reality. Of all Pine Barrens at World Woods is a great track. It isn't Pine Valley but then again what is? I had chance to play Pine Valley once....It is golf heaven. I have played Pine Barrens maybe 20 times....and it's not chopped liver. 

15 minutes ago, FLOG4 said:

Replica courses I have played Pine Barrens FL, Emerald Links NJ,  Mt Airy Lodge PA, International  Myrtle, They are all nice courses but stating they are replicas is more sales than reality. Of all Pine Barrens at World Woods is a great track. It isn't Pine Valley but then again what is? I had chance to play Pine Valley once....It is golf heaven. I have played Pine Barrens maybe 20 times....and it's not chopped liver. 

Is Pine Barrens a replica or just designed in “homage” to pine valley? Kind of like the South Course at Arcadia Bluffs is to Chicago Golf Club (or Seth Raynor in general). Just curious I haven’t played PB but have heard about it. 

16 hours ago, HJJ003 said:

Is Pine Barrens a replica or just designed in “homage” to pine valley? Kind of like the South Course at Arcadia Bluffs is to Chicago Golf Club (or Seth Raynor in general). Just curious I haven’t played PB but have heard about it. 

It is pitched as a replica, but it isn't. Proper terminology is best as in "homage" But it is a very good course. There is a 2nd which is touted as replica of "Augusta" but it is far from close to it. A visit there is needed. I would suggest if you can grab a few to join....Go to Black Diamond, they have stay and play options. World Woods is 20 miles away and between the two places you get some fantastic play. 

World Woods went bankrupt a number years back...It had a rough patch. But it came back strong. I went there as the start to my season when I was in CT. I'd go like mid March with my one son. Once Pine Barrens was as high as about 60th best in US. 

• Informative 1

I played International at Myrtle Beach a few years ago, really enjoyed the island green but wasn't a fan of the Old Course. They where just flat and wide. 

• 3 weeks later...

Nice topic, HJJ003, and glad to hear you enjoyed playing your replica course.

Imho replica or homage courses are fun to try and play, but I'm not much for seeking the top courses in the world because I know my limitations (but I would like to if the timing is right) so I don't travel often and I haven't played much of the great originals and neither of the replicas/homage because maybe I don't want to be teased by it (?)  I've had a chance to play a couple and the two replica courses I have played were the Royal Links Golf Club and Bears Best, both of them were in Las Vegas Nevada. 

It took me a while to play them and when my group decided to play there, it wasn't my choice, although I ended up really liking them for what they are.  We played them at different times in the summer months.  It was a good experience to play the  popular holes seen at The Open from the Royal Links.  The composition of holes on this course flows well, I think, and it played pretty tough also, and I loved how they've copied the greens although I don't have a clue what to compare it to, but it was very good and challenging. 

Bear's was a good course as it is- but not a great one.  I didn't feel the flow of its course as a whole, I can't place or have the lack of words for it.  Most every hole has a very different feel to it, but nevertheless, we enjoyed for what it is- scoring was easier here than the royal links as for comparison.

For a homage course, I was fortunate enough to visit Ireland, they have a hotel & resort called Druids who maintains two courses, Druids Heath, and the more popular Druids Glen which had held the Irish Open for a few years shortly after it opened its doors.  Many locals (at the bar- lol) tells us that it was regarded as the Augusta National of Europe.  We had high expectations of this course though it was a twist from all the links courses we prepared for but it did not disappoint.  The course played... wow, can I just say "wow!"  I mean, if the golf gods punished me and said I am to be restricted to play only one course for the rest of my life I would lobby for this.  It's a great course.

• 1 year later...

Enjoyed the Royal links at Vegas but more for just the fun that links style courses offer but we were nowhere near the coast. And we played Bear’s Best outside of Atlanta. Both courses were fun, we did not search them out and you could recognize many of the holes. A nice day out golfing but nothing like playing the original. 
Been making my rounds on all the Honolulu muni’s while here waiting for the inter island travel ban to end; It’s just nice to get out again.

Aloha,

iSank

• Thumbs Up 1

Hi, I live on a small island in the Pacific Ocean.

Note: This thread is 1383 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!