IGNORED

Which 2019 Driver Are You Most Excited About?

Note: This thread is 1865 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I hit the Flash subzero today.  They also had an Epic sz and a Rogue sz.  Those 2 look awful to me at address... I couldn't put a good swing on either one so there was no Callaway comparo.

The Flash must have just came in, only shaft selection was a few light weight, lite flex Even Flow Green and a HZRDUS Smoke 6.0 70 gram.       I couldn't not do an "apples to apples" test vs the Cobra because the closest thing Cobra had was the 6.0 60 gram smoke.  To be honest, I tried the smoke in the Cobra and it really didn't work for me.  I got such good numbers from the Cobra/Atmos black 6s last time that I hit it again and also the 6x.  Got even better numbers with the 6x.  I just have to look at the numbers again for consistency between the 2.

ok, getting back to the Flash SZ... It's wins on a lot of fronts.  It's better looking to me at address the way the heel settles in.  I like the choices with the sliding rear weight vs. Cobra's set up.  The Callaway dual cog adapter is also better.  I like the 2 up/ one down option better in addition to the dual cog.  Performance...I didn't get along with the shaft.  A few I hit well performed close to the Cobra whereas 90% of the Cobra hits were great.  Cobra wins hands down on sound.

What I want to do is find a better shaft to try in the Flash to go up against the Cobra.  These 2 are my favs....the Callaway with the proper shaft like the Atmos black 6x might out perform the Cobra...I would not be surprised.   If performance were the same apples to apples, I would go with the Callaway based on adjustability of the hosel, weights and look at address.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Just looked up Shaft selection on the Callaway website.  The Atmos Black 6x is a $300 upgrade.  Tack that onto the $529 price...$829.00!!    That shaft is a "no cost" stock shaft with the Cobra which is $448. 

What surprised me is the Tensei CK pro orange is only a $250 upgrade on the Cally.  Although I'd do neither, regardless of the gift card I have...id prefer the Pro orange and save $50.

For that price, the Callaway better be able to cut my lawn, snow blow my driveway and pick up the dog crap at my house too.

Wow...

9 hours ago, Typhoon92 said:

Golf Galaxy in Reading had it, not sure about Burlington.

Thanks. I was there last week and didn't see it. But I am older and my eyes aren't what they used to be! :-)

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

On 1/16/2019 at 10:03 PM, Typhoon92 said:

Just looked up Shaft selection on the Callaway website.  The Atmos Black 6x is a $300 upgrade.  Tack that onto the $529 price...$829.00!!    That shaft is a "no cost" stock shaft with the Cobra which is $448. 

What surprised me is the Tensei CK pro orange is only a $250 upgrade on the Cally.  Although I'd do neither, regardless of the gift card I have...id prefer the Pro orange and save $50.

For that price, the Callaway better be able to cut my lawn, snow blow my driveway and pick up the dog crap at my house too.

Wow...

How far do you carry your driver shots? 

I just got back from hitting the Epic Flash at a demo day at an indoor facility near me. 

It felt really really solid. I used a Project X Even Flow 6.0S 55g shaft, and the clubhead was at 9 degrees.

The area it surprised me the most was in a mishit off the toe. It was a bad strike, I could feel that it was extremely off the toe and even still, it only carried 10 yards less than my centered strikes. When I first made contact, I expected a good 25+ yards of distance loss based on how bad the strike felt and was surprised to see it carry just 10 yards short of my more solid hits.

My furthest drive carried 280, and on average I was in the 265 range using a Foresight launch monitor. If you are in the market for a new driver, I highly recommend giving it a hit. I'm not a huge fan of the color scheme, but I think I would come to accept it if it performed like that for me on the golf course.

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

On January 17, 2019 at 6:38 AM, boogielicious said:

Thanks. I was there last week and didn't see it. But I am older and my eyes aren't what they used to be! :-)

They were in the same demo rack as the Ping Drivers are...middle simulator.  I couldn't find a fitting cart to change shafts and most of the people that work there are dumber than a sack of hammers.

• Administrator
2 hours ago, klineka said:

I just got back from hitting the Epic Flash at a demo day at an indoor facility near me. 

It felt really really solid. I used a Project X Even Flow 6.0S 55g shaft, and the clubhead was at 9 degrees.

The area it surprised me the most was in a mishit off the toe. It was a bad strike, I could feel that it was extremely off the toe and even still, it only carried 10 yards less than my centered strikes. When I first made contact, I expected a good 25+ yards of distance loss based on how bad the strike felt and was surprised to see it carry just 10 yards short of my more solid hits.

My furthest drive carried 280, and on average I was in the 265 range using a Foresight launch monitor. If you are in the market for a new driver, I highly recommend giving it a hit. I'm not a huge fan of the color scheme, but I think I would come to accept it if it performed like that for me on the golf course.

I saw your launch angles in the other topic and they seemed a bit too low. What do you think?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

2 minutes ago, Typhoon92 said:

They were in the same demo rack as the Ping Drivers are...middle simulator.  I couldn't find a fitting cart to change shafts and most of the people that work there are dumber than a sack of hammers.

Thanks. I saw them but didn’t have a chance to hit them this time. They’ve had a lot of turnover there. 

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Just now, boogielicious said:

Thanks. I saw them but didn’t have a chance to hit them this time. They’ve had a lot of turnover there. 

Back when it first opened as GolfTown or something, before it was Golfsmith and now Golf Galaxy there was a kid named Matt that worked there and he knew his stuff.  Now just there is one guy left from the old regime who does lessons in there.  The rest of them, you're right...just kids and always new faces.  One old guy that is always there now and another guy that has no idea about the sims when I ask him something.  

i want to find a place that has the Tensei pro orange shaft and see what that's all about.

4 minutes ago, iacas said:

I saw your launch angles in the other topic and they seemed a bit too low. What do you think?

Honestly I was hitting it way further than expected so I wasn't even thinking about the launch angle or spin really. 

Now that I looked at some optimal driver launch charts, yeah it does look a bit low, based on my ball speed, most charts I see suggest around 13 degrees for the launch angle and keeping the spin around 2700?

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

A bit off topic, but just for those who are looking for a new driver. 

post-265786-0-33099700-1519226043_thumb.png

Anything above 12 degrees of launch and 2300-2500 rpm spin for above 100 mph clubbed speed. 

Note, it's difficult to reach these numbers while not hitting up on the ball. 

Lets say you hit with zero angle of attack, and produce your clubhead loft as dynamic loft. You'll need 12-14 degrees of loft, which will probably produce more than 2500 rpm of spin. Hitting up lets you get fitted with higher loft and maintain lower spin.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

2019 looks like an amazing year for drivers.

I have to wonder though if the low-spin trend is going to keep cutting the spin so low that average or low swingspeed players are not going to get enough backspin on their drivers.

Edited by GOATee

13 minutes ago, GOATee said:

I have to wonder though if the low-spin trend is going to keep cutting the spin so low that average or low swingspeed players are not going to get enough backspin on their drivers.

Spin rates have returned to good levels since the SLDR. No, the trend to continually lower the spin rates have not happened in a while. 

It takes an extreme set up to get the spin rates super low, and includes hitting up slightly on the ball. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Heh, good.  My pathetic swingspeed does not warrant super low spinners.

This year has mouthwatering offerings:

PING's G410 is the amazing G400 improved even more with movable weights.

Titleist TS2/TS3 has finally caught up in distance with the other drivers while still maintaining that nice traditional Titleist feel.

The Epic Flash is even more Epic?  Epicer?

Cobra's new driver (the yellow one) is good value for money.

Edited by GOATee

I am an 18 index.  I got fitted for a new driver last week and ordered the Callaway Epic Flash.  I drive about 200-210 yards.  I hit a few shots with this club that went 200 yards on the fly.  For me, that's a big improvement -- especially since my driver is nearly 10 years old.  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Note: This thread is 1865 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!