IGNORED

Which 2019 Driver Are You Most Excited About?

Note: This thread is 1854 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have four drivers in the garage, Ping G, Cleveland Classic, and two Cobras, (an old S2 and a Max). I really like Cobra equipment, (all my woods are Cobra), so I would go with the Cobra F9 although I am not in the market for a new driver right now.

I have no plans to buy a driver in 2019. Not going to buy any club for that matter. Got all I need.

However if I was, I would not buy any of the 2019 factory made stuff as the OP listed. I might give the Tour Edge stuff a quick look see. I am partial to TE stuff over the other brands. 

I would go the component route for a new driver. Purchased the club head separately, and put it on a shaft that was custom fitted for my swing. Lastly I would purchase a comfortable grip with markings, which would be installed properly. 

I would then have a quality driver that would be as good as the OEMs' products, for a fraction of the price the OEMs charge. In some instances I would save more than $500 on one club. 

Edited by Patch

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

You forgot Srixon Z-785!  I also have the Ping G400 LS.  Of those two, I like the Srixon a bit more, better flight and slightly more total distance.  The Ping 410 looks sweet and I may trade in my 400 for it, but I plan to still play the Z-785.

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

11 minutes ago, phillyk said:

You forgot Srixon Z-785!  I also have the Ping G400 LS.  Of those two, I like the Srixon a bit more, better flight and slightly more total distance.  The Ping 410 looks sweet and I may trade in my 400 for it, but I plan to still play the Z-785.

How do you compare the two on forgiveness?

🍩🧇

11 minutes ago, Dry Tortuga said:

Ping has always been the most forgiving driver I have ever hit.  This years Srixon driver definitely took a big step up on forgiveness, though.

• Thumbs Up 1

Philip Kohnken, PGA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

• iacas changed the title to Which 2019 Driver Are You Most Excited About?
2 minutes ago, Dry Tortuga said:

I have G400 but would love to try the Srixon. What shaft do you use

Hand Crafted 6.5 Hazardous Black 65.  These shafts come standard with Srixon, I believe.

Philip Kohnken, PGA

I was just thinking this morning how it's going to be a GREAT year for drivers.  You've got Titleist getting rave reviews for their step into the distance game with their 2 new drivers.  Sort of a Taylormade approach with one less adjustable and built more for raw distance.

Next you have Callaway Flash/subzero with what sounds like a very impressive computer program with 15,000 iterations before coming up with the best "one" ( or is it 2 counting the Sub zero?).

Ping has people excited wondering how much better the G410 can possibly be after an amazing G400.  My question...will the G410 with its improvements basically be a G400max with moveable weights?

I haven't looked into the new Cobra really and it looks like there is nothing really different going on with Taylormade...the " screws" on the face but really no increase in ball speed from a few people I know.  

For me, I'll be pitting my 2016 M2/ HZRDUS yellow HC up against the new Ping and the G400max, the 2 Titleists and the Cally Flash Subzero ( like the head shape better than the standard Flash).  I don't need a driver but I have a ton of pro shop credit.  Going to be a fun spring!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

PXG is also coming out with a new driver that is priced similarly to the Taylormade, Callaway, etc. 

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

On 1/6/2019 at 6:11 PM, Typhoon92 said:

I was just thinking this morning how it's going to be a GREAT year for drivers.  You've got Titleist getting rave reviews for their step into the distance game with their 2 new drivers.  Sort of a Taylormade approach with one less adjustable and built more for raw distance.

Next you have Callaway Flash/subzero with what sounds like a very impressive computer program with 15,000 iterations before coming up with the best "one" ( or is it 2 counting the Sub zero?).

Ping has people excited wondering how much better the G410 can possibly be after an amazing G400.  My question...will the G410 with its improvements basically be a G400max with moveable weights?

I haven't looked into the new Cobra really and it looks like there is nothing really different going on with Taylormade...the " screws" on the face but really no increase in ball speed from a few people I know.  

For me, I'll be pitting my 2016 M2/ HZRDUS yellow HC up against the new Ping and the G400max, the 2 Titleists and the Cally Flash Subzero ( like the head shape better than the standard Flash).  I don't need a driver but I have a ton of pro shop credit.  Going to be a fun spring!

Yes as far as the big-brands technical advancements it seems like Callaway beat out Taylormade this time around. I'm interested in at least testing out the new Epic; new M-series, not so much.

And right everyone is probably wanting to hit the G410 just to see what the deal is. By looks alone (which I know means nothing) I'm happy sticking with my G400 but will want to try the G410 and compare.

🍩🧇

13 minutes ago, Dry Tortuga said:

Yes as far as the big-brands technical advancements it seems like Callaway beat out Taylormade this time around. I'm interested in at least testing out the new Epic; new M-series, not so much.

And right everyone is probably wanting to hit the G410 just to see what the deal is. By looks alone (which I know means nothing) I'm happy sticking with my G400 but will want to try the G410 and compare.

Haven’t hit the others but the Callaway Epic Flash was fantastic. I got to demo that a couple of days ago.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

On ‎1‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 3:24 PM, Dry Tortuga said:

All the drivers are really forgiving except when you get a set up where the spin gets below 1000 rpm. Then drivers can become uncontrollable.

I am really intrigued by the new Mizuno ST190 drivers.

I am not sure I am buying the Callaway Flash driver. I saw a few test reviews of this driver and there are some strange results were slight mishits have drastic drop in ball speed. They claim their design enhances ball speed across the face, but it might be the opposite.

I never liked the look of the Taylormade drivers.

The Cobra drivers have been an under the radar driver for the past few years. They perform really well and are usually reasonably priced.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Guys, holy crap....go hit the Cobra f9 driver.  The 9 degree is the low spin head.  I've hit it on 2 seperately occasions with the Atmos and the smoke shaft...weight forward.  Launch angle remains high at 13-14 degrees, spin was down, ball speed up.  This thing is crazy good.  Was not even on my radar.  I happened to stumble on it seeing the color at the store.

i put it up against the G400max I wanted and both new Titleist drivers.  This Cobra blew them out of the water on distance AND accuracy for me.  

I haven't tested a potential "game changing" driver since I put my Ping G30 driver up against the 2016 M2 back at the end of 2015.  

27 minutes ago, Typhoon92 said:

Guys, holy crap....go hit the Cobra f9 driver.  The 9 degree is the low spin head.  I've hit it on 2 seperately occasions with the Atmos and the smoke shaft...weight forward.  Launch angle remains high at 13-14 degrees, spin was down, ball speed up.  This thing is crazy good.  Was not even on my radar.  I happened to stumble on it seeing the color at the store.

i put it up against the G400max I wanted and both new Titleist drivers.  This Cobra blew them out of the water on distance AND accuracy for me.  

I haven't tested a potential "game changing" driver since I put my Ping G30 driver up against the 2016 M2 back at the end of 2015.  

Where did you get to hit it? It doesn't come out here for a week or two longer. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

1 hour ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Where did you get to hit it? It doesn't come out here for a week or two longer. 

Everyone has the demo now and the cart but none on the shelves for retail sales.

i never even looked into the club to be honest...never on the radar since it seemed Cobra drivers were becoming sort of "second tier" and not focused on distance like the days of their Remax  LD team.  Now they seemed more focused on positioning their irons among the top choices.  Needless to say I was pleasantly surprised.  This thing is the driver to beat.

The Coba King F9 for sure. That thing looks awesome. 

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

The cobra with the Atmos black 6s was great.  I wish the fitting carts had the Tensei pro orange to try.  This spring our big outdoor demo day should be fun.  For now though, I'd like to hit the Atmos black 6x and 7s as well just to see he numbers and know what I want to try in the spring.

Note: This thread is 1854 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!