Jump to content
IGNORED

Walking With Weight (Rucking) to Prep for a Carry Bag


Elmer
 Share

Recommended Posts

Every year I tell my self I am going to walk and carry every single round I play. Every year by the 3rd week, I retreat back to my push cart. I find that by mid round ( only 9 holes) knees, legs, shoulders begin to get sore. the last 3 holes I am finding myself gassed which causes bad shots. It should be noted that my home course is very hilly and a challenging walk. 
Of course this has been the first off season in many moons where I have not been dealing with an off season injury.
So my routine has been a daily mix of the following:
Walking, planks, push ups, stretching, kettle bells.

However, ever time I walk in the garage I am taunted by my bag. I have an old Ogio Grom. The bag itself is heavier than most carry bags. However when full it weighs 33-40 lbs. this is with 12 clubs, 10 balls, a small bag of tees, golf towel and water bottle. I am unable to take out anything else out of my bag, unless I learn to putt with my driver.

Since I am not in a position to buy a new bag (and really, would a super light carry bag make that much of a difference?), I am looking to condition myself to carry my bag.

I know the gym has these over sized weights, that look like a 50lb pillow.
I have seen a few of the iron man types use them on the track.

My other thought is putting my kettle bell in my back pack and walking the treadmill or when walking the dog.

Anyone ever use rucking to prep for carry a golf bag?
Anyone have any thoughts or experience on rucking or walking with weights?

rucking.jpg

Rucking is simple. So simple, it’s stupid. Get a backpack. Put some weight in said backpack. Put on the backpack. Start walking. That’s it.

thanks for any assistance

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The balls weigh more than you think, but 40 pounds?!? Even my bag with heavy steel shafts and 14 clubs only weighs 25 with a pint of water and sunscreen.

You might consider a lighter bag for carry? They have 8 club bags...cheap...

https://www.amazon.com/Sunday-Lightweight-Carry-Executive-Course/dp/B0016FZ7YW

 

Edited by Lihu
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Moderator
(edited)
49 minutes ago, Elmer said:

Walking, planks, push ups, stretching, kettle bells

It looks like you just need to add more variety to your routine. Not knowing what you're doing with the KBs, it doesn't seem like you are doing much to work the legs. Need to add in some squats, maybe some box jumps or step ups, weighted carry is good as you mention, etc...It just seems like other than actually carrying your bag, you are getting in enough of the right exercising. I find that having good aerobic capacity will help a ton...not just strength itself.

Rucking is a great form of exercise for sure. And of course, a good way to get at something is to do it. Yeah, your rounds suck now because you are getting worn out, but if you continue to carry the bag, your body will adapt and it will get easier and easier. Maybe you just aren't giving it enough time but I assume the question is just for off season?

Edited by TN94z
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 minutes ago, TN94z said:

It looks like you just need to add more variety to your routine. Not knowing what you're doing with the KBs, it doesn't seem like you are doing much to work the legs. Need to add in some squats, maybe some box jumps or step ups, weighted carry is good as you mention, etc...It just seems like other than actually carrying your bag, you are getting in enough of the right exercising. I find that having good aerobic capacity will help a ton...not just strength itself.

Rucking is a great form of exercise for sure. And of course, a good way to get at something is to do it. Yeah, your rounds suck now because you are getting worn out, but if you continue to carry the bag, your body will adapt and it will get easier and easier. Maybe you just aren't giving it enough time but I assume the question is just for off season?

Kettle bell is usually a combo of swings, 8's, curls and waist circles.
I will add some squats.

Thanks for the advice. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Moderator
28 minutes ago, Elmer said:

Kettle bell is usually a combo of swings, 8's, curls and waist circles.
I will add some squats.

Thanks for the advice. 

The reason I say that is I have knee trouble (from meniscus surgery years ago) and keeping the quads, hamstrings, and calves strong seems to help the knee pain.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 hours ago, boogielicious said:

I would use a push cart and save your knees and back. Maybe that is not an option, but it should be.

This.   But if you want to get in better shape w/o going to a gym start climbing stairs, lots of stairs.   You'll be surprised the difference it will make in your leg strength.

  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • iacas changed the title to Walking With Weight (Rucking) to Prep for a Carry Bag
  • Administrator
4 hours ago, colin007 said:

Why does the OP feel the need to carry as opposed to using a push cart?

I don't know. The benefits of walking while pushing a push cart are only slightly smaller than when carrying, and the health benefits more than make up for it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, iacas said:

I don't know. The benefits of walking while pushing a push cart are only slightly smaller than when carrying, and the health benefits more than make up for it.

Right. According to this study, it's about as slight a difference as could be - less than 1%

t_logo_300_black.png

Tests performed on a group of amateur golfers seemed to indicate that being...

 

  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Informative 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Moderator
(edited)
16 hours ago, colin007 said:

Why does the OP feel the need to carry as opposed to using a push cart?

He mentioned not being in a position to buy a new bag so maybe he does not have a cart and cannot justify buying one right now.

Edited by TN94z
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, TN94z said:

He mentioned not being in a position to buy a new bag so maybe he does not have a cart and cannot justify buying one right now.

A new smaller bag could cost as little as $25 as I posted above. That’s less than most rounds of golf? He also carries almost a dozen balls which I expect he’ll possibly lose? Otherwise, why carry so many?

It sounds more just like he wants to carry to look cooler than the old folks like me who push or drive a cart 🤪

That said, I do sometimes like to roam free without having to push or drive a cart around, that’s why I have an 8 club bag, and have been known to play only one club lately.

Edited by Lihu
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Moderator
2 minutes ago, Lihu said:

A new smaller bag could cost as little as $25 as I posted above. That’s less than most rounds of golf? He also carries almost a dozen balls which I expect he’ll possibly lose? Otherwise, why carry so many?

It sounds more just like he wants to carry to look cooler than the old folks like me who push or drive a cart 🤪

That said, I do sometimes like to roam free without having to push or drive a cart around, that’s why I have an 8 club bag, and have been known to play only one club lately.

Very true. I was just giving him the benefit of the doubt. Me personally, I'm using a cart before I walk, no questions asked. But I already have a cart. The only reason I would walk is to lose weight, and pushing a cart would get me the same results there, so it's a no-brainer for me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Just now, TN94z said:

Very true. I was just giving him the benefit of the doubt. Me personally, I'm using a cart before I walk, no questions asked. But I already have a cart. The only reason I would walk is to lose weight, and pushing a cart would get me the same results there, so it's a no-brainer for me.

@Elmer might not have known this fact that many of us seem to be taking for granted.

I also hike 2 to 3 days a week in the mountains with my wife, so there’s no need for “extra” exercise at this point.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Moderator
1 minute ago, Lihu said:

@Elmer might not have known this fact that many of us seem to be taking for granted.

I also hike 2 to 3 days a week in the mountains with my wife, so there’s no need for “extra” exercise at this point.

I agree.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

10 hours ago, TN94z said:

He mentioned not being in a position to buy a new bag so maybe he does not have a cart and cannot justify buying one right now.

The OP mentions that he has a push cart.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share



  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • Support TST Affiliates

    TourStriker PlaneMate
    Golfer's Journal
    Whoop
    SuperSpeed
    FlightScope Mevo
    Use the code "iacas" for 10% off Mevo and the code "iacasjun21" for 10% off SuperSpeed.
  • Posts

    • Welcome to The Sand Trap! Thanks for posting. First, you are flexible and look pretty athletic, which helps. In the down the line swing, you can see you are coming in a little out-to-in or over the top, which can lead to the pull slices you mentioned. In the face on, you can see you also flip a bit, as you mentioned. You don’t shift your weight much forward during the downswing, which can cause this. Below are a couple of threads. First is the Five Simply Keys thread, 5SK. The 5SK are the common things all good golf swing have and is not a swing method, but a guide so to speak. Key 2, for example, is weight forward at impact. This may be something you should look at. There are video drills for each Key in the thread. The second thread was started by the site owner during the pandemic lockdown last year when courses were close. It is an excellent collection of drills to work on. The first five are full swing drills. They start with backswing and go through impact. Proper backswing sequence and position can help set up a good downswing sequence. Check them out. Lastly, We like to get to know our members here on TST and one of the things that helps is when members choose a unique avatar for themselves. Please add one (here's a guide to help if you're not sure how).    And we have lots of other topics here on the site. Check them out as well and join in the conversations.  
    • I don’t know enough about it to answer intelligently, but it seems a bit different  than what my instructors want me to do. An example is the long arc drill where we try to slow down release or wrist turnover through to A9 and keep palmar flexion a bit longer. This would keep the face open longer. For me, it may be because it would help my face to path be more consistent at impact. It seems to be a timing scenario if you let the face rotate freely. I think it should be ‘happens’ but training it with gate drills for start line may help. if I use my ‘spirit animal’ PGA Pro example, from my Evolvr instructor, I would say the number would be a lot less. It’s hard to tell from the image below, but it looks like Zack’s face is more closed at A6. So basically, I will do what my instructor tells me I should do.😀
    • Been around for way longer than that pre 1900 The Urquehart -  Antique Golf Clubs from Scotland: Clubmakers  
    • 9 handicapper myself and a certified club ho for many a year! Personally I have played 735cm's, many versions of Hogan Apex and modern Hogan irons, Ping G's, I's, S's, Becu's, the lot! Maxfli A10'S, Maxfli Rev's, Taylormade, Adams, Callaway, Macgregor, Wilson Staff........basically the whole damn shaboom!! Decided a few months ago to make the game as easy as possible. I picked up 5-pw Cleveland HB Turbo irons, Callaway 50*56*60* Mack Daddy CB wedges and a Ping Craz-e vault 2 putter. Threw in a Taylormade Sim2 3 wood and a couple of Ping Karsten hybrids 4+5. Tell you what give the Cleveland HB Turbo's a chance, IT IS LIKE CHEATING. Great length, good trajectory, can get some gentle fade or draw movement with a little club face manipulation.  If the technology was there a few hundred years ago they would be the norm!
    • Dune. Or should I say, Dunc? Eagle. Big downside is the story isn’t finished. 
  • Today's Birthdays


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...