gbogey

Embedded Balls in the Lip or Wall of a Bunker

21 posts in this topic Last Reply

1 hour ago, bkuehn1952 said:

One has a ball embedded in the stacked sod face of a bunker.  One is not permitted to  drop in the bunker (correct?) and let's say the position of the embedded ball makes it impossible to have a spot no closer to the hole and outside the bunker.

What are your options?  Play the ball or return to the spot where one last hit with a 1 stroke penalty?  Are there other options (besides quitting this infernal game 😉)

p.s. @DaveP043 I think we were partners when I had the unfortunate opportunity to experience this situation.  As I recall, I just allowed you to birdie the hole to win it for our team.

I remember pretty clearly, we were on #13 at Talamore.  I don't remember what I did, but I sure do remember your ball embedded in the face of the bunker.

You can always take relief for an unplayable lie.  For a ball in the General Area, which is the case here, you can take two clublengths (no closer to the hole), and the Relief Area may be in any are of the course.  You may also take relief "back on the line", and that Relief Area may be in any area of the course.  So yes, you could drop in the bunker, or behind the bunker, with a stroke penalty.  The third option, you can replay the original shot.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

1 hour ago, DaveP043 said:

You may also take relief "back on the line", and that Relief Area may be in any area of the course.  So yes, you could drop in the bunker, or behind the bunker, with a stroke penalty.  

Always forget about that one.  I guess I'm not used to having the option to go back on most unplayable lies, but in the case described might be the best option.

It’s worth remembering that in declaring your ball unplayable, you also have “back-on-the-line” relief available to you, which could easily be the best option in this scenario.

edited to add that @DaveP043 beat me to it... 

Edited by David in FL