IGNORED

Embedded Balls in the Lip or Wall of a Bunker

gbogey

1 hour ago, bkuehn1952 said:

One has a ball embedded in the stacked sod face of a bunker.  One is not permitted to  drop in the bunker (correct?) and let's say the position of the embedded ball makes it impossible to have a spot no closer to the hole and outside the bunker.

What are your options?  Play the ball or return to the spot where one last hit with a 1 stroke penalty?  Are there other options (besides quitting this infernal game 😉)

p.s. @DaveP043 I think we were partners when I had the unfortunate opportunity to experience this situation.  As I recall, I just allowed you to birdie the hole to win it for our team.

I remember pretty clearly, we were on #13 at Talamore.  I don't remember what I did, but I sure do remember your ball embedded in the face of the bunker.

You can always take relief for an unplayable lie.  For a ball in the General Area, which is the case here, you can take two clublengths (no closer to the hole), and the Relief Area may be in any are of the course.  You may also take relief "back on the line", and that Relief Area may be in any area of the course.  So yes, you could drop in the bunker, or behind the bunker, with a stroke penalty.  The third option, you can replay the original shot.

• Upvote 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, DaveP043 said:

You may also take relief "back on the line", and that Relief Area may be in any area of the course.  So yes, you could drop in the bunker, or behind the bunker, with a stroke penalty.  

Always forget about that one.  I guess I'm not used to having the option to go back on most unplayable lies, but in the case described might be the best option.

It’s worth remembering that in declaring your ball unplayable, you also have “back-on-the-line” relief available to you, which could easily be the best option in this scenario.

edited to add that @DaveP043 beat me to it... 

Edited by David in FL

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

• 6 months later...
9 hours ago, Bubbak said:

It's still not clear to me. If the ball is like that in the picture below, buried in the lip, do I get relief without penalty?  If so, where can I drop?

Bill33k

image.png.4c0002ec164856c4d9f9708759496dcf.png

Your ball would appear to be in the General Area, not in the bunker. So free relief is only available within 1 clublength of the ball but it must be in the general area. So you won't get free relief. 

See rule 16.3(b)

https://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/rules/rules-2019/rules-of-golf/rules-and-interpretations.html#!ruletype=fr&section=rule&rulenum=16

Also see posts #19-21

Edited by Rulesman
  • Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, Bubbak said:

It's still not clear to me. If the ball is like that in the picture below, buried in the lip, do I get relief without penalty?  If so, where can I drop?

Bill33k

image.png.4c0002ec164856c4d9f9708759496dcf.png

If I found my ball at the end of your red arrow, I would first ask myself if the ball was touching the sand in the bunker (not merely some grains of sand which were not in the bunker.) If I find that the ball is not touching the bunker, I will conclude that the ball is embedded in the general area and at first glance, free relief is available.

Now, in order to proceed, I must determine the proper relief area. I will look for a place in he general area which is within one club-length of the ball but not nearer the hole. If I can find such a place, I shall take free relief.

However, such a relief area might not exist due to the shape of the edge of the bunker and the location of the hole. The sad news now is that free relief cannot be taken and the unplayable options are all that are left.

• Like 2
  • Informative 1
"Age improves with wine."

Wishon 919THI 11*
Wishon 925HL 4w
Wishon 335HL 3h & 4h
Wishon 755pc 5i, 6i, 7i, 8i & 9i
Tad Moore 485 PW
Callaway X 54*
Ping G2 Anser C
Callaway SuperSoft
Titleist StaDry
Kangaroo Hillcrest AB

51 minutes ago, Asheville said:

If I found my ball at the end of your red arrow, I would first ask myself if the ball was touching the sand in the bunker (not merely some grains of sand which were not in the bunker.) If I find that the ball is not touching the bunker, I will conclude that the ball is embedded in the general area and at first glance, free relief is available.

Now, in order to proceed, I must determine the proper relief area. I will look for a place in he general area which is within one club-length of the ball but not nearer the hole. If I can find such a place, I shall take free relief.

However, such a relief area might not exist due to the shape of the edge of the bunker and the location of the hole. The sad news now is that free relief cannot be taken and the unplayable options are all that are left.

This is 100% correct, and was specifically addressed by a Clarification to Rule 16.3b

https://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/rules-hub/rulesarticles/clarifications-of-the-2019-rules-of-golf.html#rule16

• Like 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

• 2 years later...

If you are to apply the unplayable rule, you could go back on a line where your ball lay, as far as you like (so not in the bunker) as long as you kept the hole between your unplayable and you RP. I still want to clear up exactly when the ball is embedded in the stacked turf above a bunker..thus allowing  a free drop (as long as you have space and it is in the general area) 

• Administrator
On 6/8/2022 at 11:52 AM, GloriaDG said:

If you are to apply the unplayable rule, you could go back on a line where your ball lay, as far as you like (so not in the bunker) as long as you kept the hole between your unplayable and you RP. I still want to clear up exactly when the ball is embedded in the stacked turf above a bunker..thus allowing  a free drop (as long as you have space and it is in the general area) 

There's also a recent discussion here.

• Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets