IGNORED

Does Anyone Else Here Use a Chipper?

Note: This thread is 1179 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

On 2/23/2019 at 7:41 PM, David in FL said:

...it helps them get up and down more often from all the greens they do miss.

Even if a chipper helped a player get PGA Tour level scrambling, which it won't, they'd only one save a couple of strokes a round. Realistically having a chipper probably holds them back from learning proper pitching and chipping technique, which actually hurts their longterm improvement. Higher floor, lower ceiling.

• Thumbs Up 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

15 minutes ago, billchao said:

Even if a chipper helped a player get PGA Tour level scrambling, which it won't, they'd only one save a couple of strokes a round

One extra up and down can drop a hcp more than a point.  Are there any bogey golfers out there who wouldn’t like a very quick improvement like that for very little effort?!

17 minutes ago, billchao said:

Realistically having a chipper probably holds them back from learning proper pitching and chipping technique, which actually hurts their longterm improvement. 

Fallacy.

1)  There is no reason that someone can’t use a chipper while also practicing other techniques, with different clubs.

2)  Different clubs call for different techniques.  Would you ever tell someone not to putt from 10 feet off the green if it gave them a better result, because doing so is “hurting their long term improvement”?   Why is it different if that “putter” is virtually the same, except for a little more loft?

All a chipper does, is provide another option for certain, often encountered shots.  An option that many people find easier and more effective due to the design of the club.  This game is hard enough, especially for less skilled players, many of whom don’t play very often, or seldom practice beyond beating the occasional bucket of balls.

• Like 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

1 minute ago, David in FL said:

One extra up and down can drop a hcp more than a point.  Are there any bogey golfers out there who wouldn’t like a very quick improvement like that for very little effort?!

Fallacy.

1)  There is no reason that someone can’t use a chipper while also practicing other techniques, with different clubs.

2)  Different clubs call for different techniques.  Would you ever tell someone not to putt from 10 feet off the green if it gave them a better result, because doing so is “hurting their long term improvement”?   Why is it different if that “putter” is virtually the same, except for a little more loft?

All a chipper does, is provide another option for certain, often encountered shots.  An option that many people find easier and more effective due to the design of the club.  This game is hard enough, especially for less skilled players, many of whom don’t play very often, or seldom practice beyond beating the occasional bucket of balls.

So you have one in your bag then?

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• Administrator
46 minutes ago, billchao said:

Even if a chipper helped a player get PGA Tour level scrambling, which it won't, they'd only one save a couple of strokes a round. Realistically having a chipper probably holds them back from learning proper pitching and chipping technique, which actually hurts their longterm improvement. Higher floor, lower ceiling.

Not quite - Greenside shots are an SV③ skill… but then again, you're only talking about the green side shots where you can use a chipper, so never mind: 1-3 shots a round is probably about right.

7 minutes ago, David in FL said:

They could save that one shot by playing away from flags more often, even on green side shots.

Fallacy.

I disagree. In my experience people with chippers lean far far too heavily on them.

Fact may be that though they could, they don't.

That's not a good analogy.

No, a chipper removes another club from the bag and increases reliance on a shot virtually no good player ever uses - a "chipper" shot.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Just now, boogielicious said:

So you have one in your bag then?

Nope.

But I’m a reasonably skilled player, and don’t lose too many strokes around the green.  If I thought it would improve my game, I certainly would though.  

More often than not, those that won’t at least try one, don’t due to ego and a concern that they’ll be mocked.

I’m always amazed that so many people will accept, and even recommend very forgiving SGI irons for less skilled/experienced players, but at the same time denigrate the use of a chipper because “it keeps them from improving”.

In David's bag....

I carry one - it is called a 6 iron; which I use similarly to how I think these chipper clubs are used. I use it when I don't want to hit a wedge and I want the shot to run out.
I used more when I played in Texas, and the ground would get hard on some of the courses that were in the Fairway rota

Players play, tough players win!

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, David in FL said:

More often than not, those that won’t at least try one, don’t due to ego and a concern that they’ll be mocked.

Thing is, if you're 60 and you're not looking to get better, and just squeeze what you can out of your existing game, AND you have room in the bag for a club like this… sure. But most people are looking to get better, and a chipper hampers their ability to do so.

Also, you continually over-state the value. Shocker of shockers - you can make a putting motion with your 9-iron… Or a high lofted hybrid.

I’m always amazed that so many people will accept, and even recommend very forgiving SGI irons for less skilled/experienced players, but at the same time denigrate the use of a chipper because “it keeps them from improving”.

That's another poor analogy. Irons don't take the place of something else like a chipper does, irons don't prohibit you from learning the proper techniques, etc.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 minute ago, iacas said:

Fact may be that though they could, they don't.

The fact is, that most people don’t really practice at all.  

We sometimes forget, that while all golfers want to shoot lower scores, relatively few will do the actual work necessary to do so.

2 minutes ago, iacas said:

No, a chipper removes another club from the bag and increases reliance on a shot virtually no good player ever uses - a "chipper" shot.

Most high handicap players can easily make room for a chipper.  Maybe by dropping that damn 60* wedge that costs them more strokes than it saves.  ;-)

All a “chipper stroke” is, is chipping with a putting stroke which I know you and Mike endorse when it’s the appropriate shot.  Which is also why me putter from off the green analogy works.  It’s a great technique, and the chipper simply makes it easier to execute because the design mimics a putter.

I have never recommended a chipper for good players.  

In David's bag....

2 minutes ago, iacas said:

Thing is, if you're 60 and you're not looking to get better, and just squeeze what you can out of your existing game, AND you have room in the bag for a club like this… sure. But most people are looking to get better, and a chipper hampers their ability to do so.

Also, you continually over-state the value. Shocker of shockers - you can make a putting motion with your 9-iron… Or a high lofted hybrid.

That's another poor analogy. Irons don't take the place of something else like a chipper does, irons don't prohibit you from learning the proper techniques, etc.

I'd say if you are over 60 (or at any age) and you are playing socially and not really trying to improve, then ignore the 14 club limit and carry 16 or 17 clubs if they really help you.
Because they aren't walking, or using a pull/push cart so why worry about that limitation (they aren't putting out, or going back to where they played when they lose a ball either, nor do they play provisional balls).

Players play, tough players win!

5 minutes ago, iacas said:

Of course you can use other clubs, and many do.  A chipper simply makes it easier for those who are less skilled to make the stroke.

What “proper technique”?  Different technique, sure.  But if someone is skilled with a chipper, why is it any less “proper” than using another club to do the same thing?

In David's bag....

• Administrator
11 minutes ago, David in FL said:

The fact is, that most people don’t really practice at all.

And any time spent practicing with a chipper takes more of that precious time away from working on better techniques.

Again, if you're talking about a 60-year-old 16 handicapper who never really cares about getting better and who has a spot in the bag, go for it. That's probably a million people.

But for most everyone on this site, people who are trying to get better, to learn the proper way to play… a chipper is a non-starter. It takes up a valuable spot in the bag.

We sometimes forget, that while all golfers want to shoot lower scores, relatively few will do the actual work necessary to do so.

David I don't ever forget that. I'm in touch with that every day.

Even you don't want to practice.

All a “chipper stroke” is, is chipping with a putting stroke which I know you and Mike endorse when it’s the appropriate shot.

We do… with a standard club you've already got in the bag.

Which is also why me putter from off the green analogy works.

No it doesn't - people don't need to be convinced of carrying a putter and occasionally using it for some specialty shot. Using a chipper isn't analogous to using a putter for something else. It's like saying "well, you can punch out from under the tree with your driver, or I can give you a special dedicated punch-out club…". People already have a driver. They already have a putter. Bad analogy.

Of course you can use other clubs, and many do.  A chipper simply makes it easier for those who are less skilled to make the stroke.

What “proper technique”?  Different technique, sure.  But if someone is skilled with a chipper, why is it any less “proper” than using another club to do the same thing?

Because it's ONE technique. With a wedge or an 8-iron, you can not only make the same chipping motion and get the same benefits from it, but you can also hit things that veer more toward the pitching side of things. And a chipper is one loft, while you can "chip with a putting motion" using ALL clubs. A hybrid, a lob wedge, and everything in between. Even a fairway wood.

At the end of the day, a chipper offers very small advantages while having a number of negatives.

58 minutes ago, David in FL said:

Nope.

But I’m a reasonably skilled player, and don’t lose too many strokes around the green.  If I thought it would improve my game, I certainly would though.  

I was just asking and in no way denigrating the use of the club. FWIW, chipping and pitching with my wedges and high lofted irons is one of my strengths. I find them very versatile. I also found it a skill that was easy to work on. 

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Here's a video demonstrating different techniques with a chipper: 

The thing I noticed as I watched the video is the only motion a high handicap player might not have an issue with is the bump and run where you're chipping with a putting motion, which we've established can be done with other clubs. The standard pitching and chipping motions demonstrated in the video can and will be poorly executed by high handicap players, regardless of what club they're holding in their hands. They're poor golfers due to poor skill and technique, not their equipment choices. You can still chunk or blade a chipper.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Two years ago I bought a chipper out of sheer frustration from stubbing chips with a flippy stroke (I still suffer with this to an extent) and a lot of experimental curiosity. I used it sporadically for a few rounds over 2 months or so. Here's my experience.  

1) A chipper is NOT simply a putter with more loft. If you have a picky/yippy/flippy stroke with a wedge, you will have one with a chipper. No beuno. A chipper is not THAT forgiving. It doesn't like 'handsy' strokes any more than a lofted wedge does, so don't expect magic. 

2) If you are good or have become good with a chipper with a 'putting stroke', I would wager a few bucks that you are mechanically just as good with a wedge. 

3) There IS a downside compared to a wedge. The carry to roll ratio is very small compared to a wedge. It works in very limited cases/certain type of greens setups only. Anyway, I found in most of these cases/setups a Texas wedge is just as effective. I was forced to use a wedge where a bit of carry and short roll was mandatory. So don't say good bye to the 'pesty' wedge yet. 

So yeah, for me, I certainly don't knock or mock anybody who uses it and for me it had nothing to do with ego or old man style golf or psychological or social acceptance related. If it works, I won't leave anything on the table.

It's simply not the magical alternative to a wedge like many think. 

15 minutes ago, billchao said:

You can still chunk or blade a chipper.

Uhh.. yuppp. 

Edited by GolfLug
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Vishal S.

6 minutes ago, GolfLug said:

If you are good or have become good with a chipper with a 'putting stroke', I would wager a few bucks that you are mechanically just as good with a wedge. 

I feel the same.

7 minutes ago, GolfLug said:

I found in most of these cases/setups a Texas wedge is just as effective.

It's rare, but there are times where I will putt a ball out of thick rough. It's a lot more effective than people think it is and most won't even try it.

10 minutes ago, GolfLug said:

It's simply not the magical alternative to a wedge like many think

Theres no such thing as a magic pill in golf. If there was, everyone would be using it.

Bill

My Swing Thread

1 hour ago, billchao said:

Here's a video demonstrating different techniques with a chipper: 

The thing I noticed as I watched the video is the only motion a high handicap player might not have an issue with is the bump and run where you're chipping with a putting motion, which we've established can be done with other clubs.

Which is exactly the benefit.

Of course the putt/chip can be done with other clubs.  It’s just easier with a chipper because a chipper more closely mimics the length and lie of the putter, so no other adjustments are needed.

I also wouldn’t recommend that a high hcp player try to manufacture any other creative shots with a chipper, any more than I’d try to teach him to play a green side bunker shot with an open 6-iron instead of a high bounce sand wedge, though a skilled player can certainly do so.

In David's bag....

• Administrator
20 minutes ago, David in FL said:

Which is exactly the benefit.

Of course the putt/chip can be done with other clubs.  It’s just easier with a chipper because a chipper more closely mimics the length and lie of the putter, so no other adjustments are needed.

I also wouldn’t recommend that a high hcp player try to manufacture any other creative shots with a chipper, any more than I’d try to teach him to play a green side bunker shot with an open 6-iron instead of a high bounce sand wedge, though a skilled player can certainly do so.

In other words… limited utility.

3 minutes ago, iacas said:

In other words… limited utility.

Absolutely.  I’ve never said otherwise.

But very effective in its limited role and easier for a high hcp player to use.

In David's bag....

Note: This thread is 1179 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!