IGNORED

Spark Golf League

DogGolf92
Note: This thread is 1100 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Has anyone played in the Spark Golf League? Their website shows leagues all over the country and I was curious. My buddy and I are playing in one this spring in Baltimore and wanted to see how it was. 

I never heard of "Spark" but after reviewing their site, it looks interesting.  Essentially they provide software to run the league.  

Ultimately, your experience will largely depend on who initiated the league and the members. The software will not turn a group of dicks into a good experience or ruin the experience for a good group of people.  If the price is right, get a friend/partner and give it a try.

Brian Kuehn

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

By the looks of it, it seems like everything I don't like to see on the golf course; "relaxed" rules, dressing down, blaring music, yeah no thanks. 

From the Spark Website:

It’s honestly not even about wearing a white belt. A white belt golfer is a stiff. Someone who doesn’t like to have fun and worse doesn’t allow others around him to have fun. They intimidate others with their rules and make the game exclusive. Golf can have rules and etiquette, but it needs to lighten up and have more fun. As y’all say, golf needs a Spark.

Not sure why playing by the rules makes the game not fun?

• Upvote 1

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

@NM Golf Curious to know why a "relaxed" style league is not up your alley? I get the playing music aspect, loud music can be a distraction to most. I was drawn to the league because it does seem to be a lot more laid back and social. It seems to be a "get off work, head to the course grab a beer with your buddies and hit a couple balls'' league.  I don't want to touch much on this league playing by the rules or not simply because I have not seen their rules yet. I can update that more when the league starts. 

I don't think that a social league is bad for the game of golf. If anything it may bring more people into the game. I am still fairly new to being serious about lowering my score, and my hope is one day to be able to play in a "un-relaxed" league or a tournament and have a good shot at the top prize.  I think this league might be a step in the right direction for me, it will give me the opportunity to play more often, it has some sort of rule structure and it will be fun. 

• Administrator
1 hour ago, DogGolf92 said:

@NM Golf Curious to know why a "relaxed" style league is not up your alley?

It wouldn't be up my alley either.

The short version is that I wouldn't like how much goofing around such a league seems like it would have. Following the Rules doesn't make golf "less fun." In fact, to me, not following the Rules makes golf less fun.

Cool if you wanna goof around. Got no problem with other people doing it. It's not for me, though - my "goofing around" is playing HORSE against someone with ridiculous short game shots as a way to liven up a good practice session, not hit-and-giggle-and-then-drink-and-then-sing-along-and-then-drop-another golf.

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

4 hours ago, DogGolf92 said:

@NM Golf Curious to know why a "relaxed" style league is not up your alley? I get the playing music aspect, loud music can be a distraction to most. I was drawn to the league because it does seem to be a lot more laid back and social. It seems to be a "get off work, head to the course grab a beer with your buddies and hit a couple balls'' league.  I don't want to touch much on this league playing by the rules or not simply because I have not seen their rules yet. I can update that more when the league starts. 

I don't think that a social league is bad for the game of golf. If anything it may bring more people into the game. I am still fairly new to being serious about lowering my score, and my hope is one day to be able to play in a "un-relaxed" league or a tournament and have a good shot at the top prize.  I think this league might be a step in the right direction for me, it will give me the opportunity to play more often, it has some sort of rule structure and it will be fun. 

Pretty much what @iacas said, but I will add this:

I love golf, I have made most of my friends on the golf course. I don't think you have to remove the rules, lower the value of competition, toss out etiquette, blare loud music, drink copious amounts of beer, and dress in a tank tops and sweat pants to enjoy it more.

I enjoy it playing golf A LOT! I enjoy it while playing by the rules, wearing proper golf attire (the occasional white belt), and holding off until the 19th hole to drink my copious amounts of beer. I am also social on the golf course. I played on Saturday with three complete strangers. We had a great time. We talked, laughed at some of the more interesting shots we hit, and it was completely enjoyable. And no one was wearing a tank top, no loud music was played, and the rules were observed.

So, basically that league and it's "relaxed" atmosphere would not make golf more fun for me it would actually make it less fun. If I want to drink beer and act like an idiot I go bowling.

Edited by NM Golf

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/5/2019 at 11:30 AM, NM Golf said:

By the looks of it, it seems like everything I don't like to see on the golf course; "relaxed" rules, dressing down, blaring music, yeah no thanks. 

From the Spark Website:

^^^^ This ^^^^....

On 3/6/2019 at 9:45 AM, iacas said:

It wouldn't be up my alley either.

The short version is that I wouldn't like how much goofing around such a league seems like it would have. Following the Rules doesn't make golf "less fun." In fact, to me, not following the Rules makes golf less fun.

Cool if you wanna goof around. Got no problem with other people doing it. It's not for me, though - my "goofing around" is playing HORSE against someone with ridiculous short game shots as a way to liven up a good practice session, not hit-and-giggle-and-then-drink-and-then-sing-along-and-then-drop-another golf.

....and   ^^^^  This  ^^^^

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

It all depends on the people you play with.   A horrible round can be a great experience if you are playing with the right people.   While I don't have a problem with people who want to play this way, or playing with people who goof around ; Spark seems to take issue with people playing the game as intended and I have to ask why?

—Adam

On 3/5/2019 at 11:30 AM, NM Golf said:

From the Spark Website:

Hate to say it, but seriously...  Some people just don't belong. 

Pass.

• 1 year later...

Anybody bashing Spark because of the way they market to the younger demographic needs to gtfo. It's golf ... at essentially muni courses ... on weeknights. I've played for the better part of 28 years. I've played in youth tournaments, USGA and USJGA events, THIS is the type of golf that younger people want to play. I follow ALL rules pertaining to the game of golf, but yes, I like to listen to music on the course and YES, wearing elastic shorts and a t-shirt while crushing 8 beers per 9 is FAR more enjoyable than being decked out in your all-white underarmour belts. You guys look like tools. You don't have to dress like the pros to play or enjoy golf. Just ask Ricky Fowler, Justin Thomas, Jordan Speith, Xander, Brooks, etc about how they enjoy/play golf when the cameras are off and they're just playing with friends. I'd bet my life that they'd side with me. 

• Administrator

Well, that's one way to join a site and revive a two-year-old topic.

Just one question for you at this time: if you're so bothered by about being judged, then why are you so judgmental of others? The color of a belt one chooses to wear has absolutely nothing to do with their personality, how they enjoy playing the game, etc.

I'm glad you find "crushing 8 beers per 9" "enjoyable." I don't.

Different strokes.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I have signed up to play in a Spark league beginning April 1st, and I did not see the kind of marketing described above.  From what I have seen of the others in the league, they all look to be about my age - 49 😮 - and there are at least two women signed up.  I really am excited to try my hand at somewhat competitive golf.

:ping:

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • G710 - 4 iron/SteelFiber i110cw Stiff • / i210 - 5 iron - UW / AWT 2.0 Stiff
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

On 3/10/2021 at 2:31 PM, TNGolfGuy said:

Anybody bashing Spark because of the way they market to the younger demographic needs to gtfo. It's golf ... at essentially muni courses ... on weeknights. I've played for the better part of 28 years. I've played in youth tournaments, USGA and USJGA events, THIS is the type of golf that younger people want to play. I follow ALL rules pertaining to the game of golf, but yes, I like to listen to music on the course and YES, wearing elastic shorts and a t-shirt while crushing 8 beers per 9 is FAR more enjoyable than being decked out in your all-white underarmour belts. You guys look like tools. You don't have to dress like the pros to play or enjoy golf. Just ask Ricky Fowler, Justin Thomas, Jordan Speith, Xander, Brooks, etc about how they enjoy/play golf when the cameras are off and they're just playing with friends. I'd bet my life that they'd side with me. 

Since you literally spent 4 total minutes on the site, just long enough to write that lovely post, I don't imagine we will have the opportunity to hear from you again. BUT, I will say this, I don't buy anything you said. I know lots of young players, and they don't need to act and look like jackasses to enjoy playing golf. Most of the PGA guys you spoke of are quite serious about their games and I would bet they are equally competitive. Competitiveness breeds wanting to play your best each and every time you tee it up. While I am sure they, like anyone, will play the very occasional "fun" round, I highly doubt you'll find them very often on the fairways of the very exclusive and expensive country clubs guzzling beer in a wifebeater and swim trunks. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • Rules in competition (even a "friendly" wager) - yes; evens the playing field; expectations known
  • Dress - criticizing "golf clothing" is as bigoted as saying you wear wife-beaters; however, as in life there are standards so adapt to the standards of your choice. When you learn to appreciate golf, you will appreciate finer clubs that have standards.
  • Music, alcohol, etc. - no music for me, rather hear nature; alcohol in moderation for me, fun definite yes; whatever you do that does not affect others or harm the course/club is ok with me - just like pets, your religion, etc...I know you love them but you don't need to share them or force them strangers.
  • Spark - sounded like a good idea until I saw the first week results; a single recorded a score of -11 for nine; 7 net birdies and 2 net eagles; missed the first week and won't be signing up for any of that "relaxed fun" in the future.

Note: This thread is 1100 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!