IGNORED

Swing Speed Stuck at 90 MPH

mighty
Note: This thread is 1867 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So on a perfect driver swing I can hit about 90 mph max, around 85 mph on average, I would love to get to 100 mph but I dont see how that is possible because there's nothing more I can do as far as technique goes. Now I'm thinking maybe my shaft is a bit heavy for myself? I'm playing a 55 gram regular flex shaft, I know it's not considered too heavy for the average male and there's guys who swing over 100 mph with 60-70 gram shafts. If i go down to something like a 45 gram shaft, how much speed will I gain? Thanks. 

8 minutes ago, mighty said:

So on a perfect driver swing I can hit about 90 mph max, around 85 mph on average, I would love to get to 100 mph but I dont see how that is possible because there's nothing more I can do as far as technique goes. Now I'm thinking maybe my shaft is a bit heavy for myself? I'm playing a 55 gram regular flex shaft, I know it's not considered too heavy for the average male and there's guys who swing over 100 mph with 60-70 gram shafts. If i go down to something like a 45 gram shaft, how much speed will I gain? Thanks. 

A lot of us are trying out this training method. there is a link at the bottom of the site to the company that makes the equipment. I believe we still have a discount via that link.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• iacas changed the title to Swing Speed Stuck at 90 MPH
  • Administrator

Unless you're shooting in the low 70s, there's likely quite a bit more you can do with your technique. Why do you say you've done all you can with that?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

14 hours ago, iacas said:

Unless you're shooting in the low 70s, there's likely quite a bit more you can do with your technique. Why do you say you've done all you can with that?

I think speed has more to do with strength and flexibility than technique, something either you have or you dont, unless you train your body to get stronger. I would say any average healthy male golfer below 50 years old with 2 hands and 2 legs can get to around 85 mph without any training, but if we're talking about 95-100 mph then I dont think it's doable without some kind of training and a close to perfect golf swing. If you look up the average LPGA swing speed, I think it's around 94 mph, those women are pros and their swings must be pretty good right? Then how come the average is only 94 mph? Pretty sure strength is the main factor, they just dont have men's strength. 

By the way, I'm a small Asian guy so I'm probably at a disadvantaged position when compared to bigger guys from other countries in the world. 

3 minutes ago, mighty said:

I think speed has more to do with strength and flexibility than technique, something either you have or you dont, unless you train your body to get stronger.

Your technique has a lot to do with it. If your swing isn't currently at a high level, you're not getting the most out of your physical potential.

5 minutes ago, mighty said:

By the way, I'm a small Asian guy so I'm probably at a disadvantaged position when compared to bigger guys from other countries in the world.

I don't think that has anything to do with it. If you don't have as many fast-twitch muscles as another person it has nothing to do with your size or ethnicity. Justin Thomas is a long hitter at 5'8" and 140lbs soaking wet.

• Thumbs Up 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

24 minutes ago, mighty said:

I think speed has more to do with strength and flexibility than technique, something either you have or you dont, unless you train your body to get stronger.

No. a few years ago I was very strong (2.1x bodyweight squat (420+lbs) and 2.6x bodyweight deadlift (525+lbs) in competition) and also very flexible (could almost put both palms flat on the floor while keeping legs straight) and I did not swing very fast at all at that point in time.

Over the past couple years my technique has improved, and I actually have stopped lifting so I've become drastically weaker, yet even before starting SuperSpeed training I was swinging right about 95-100 mph with not great technique

24 minutes ago, mighty said:

I would say any average healthy male golfer below 50 years old with 2 hands and 2 legs can get to around 85 mph without any training, but if we're talking about 95-100 mph then I dont think it's doable without some kind of training and a close to perfect golf swing.

I was able to swing 95-100 mph with little to no training and nothing remotely close to a perfect golf swing. I have a buddy who has never done strength training, never had a golf lesson, shoots between 90 and 100 but can hit 1-2 drives out of 10 that go 300+ yards measured with GPS and rangefinders, which means his clubhead speed is definitely over 100mph.

A perfect swing is not necessary to have a 95-100 mph clubhead speed.

Edited by klineka
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

45 minutes ago, mighty said:

Technique is going to be your biggest factor in clubhead speed.  I agree, you can swing HARD if you're strong, but that's not going to directly translate to a higher clubhead speed and certainly not to distance.  I have always swung in the 100 mph range, both now and 4 years ago when I was at my strongest.  Back then I had another 10-15 pounds of muscle (which is a decent amount for someone who's 5'9") and was probably squatting 100 lb more than I do now (not positive as I do less weight and higher reps after having a scare with my back).  So yeah, I have a direct comparison between different levels of strength. EDIT: Looks like @klineka serves as a better example.

Difference is technique.  At that point I was playing 2-3 times a year tops and had basically zero technique paired with severe overswing.  My swing is MUCH shorter, and I'm definitely not as strong, so there should be "less" power, yet I've had no real loss in swing speed but a very real gain in distance.  I am swinging the club in a manner that more efficiently delivers the clubhead regardless of my strength, and I don't even consider myself a "good" player.  That's why @iacas brought up the point about shooting near par.  If you're doing that, you probably have very good technique and have less room for improvement in that regard.  Someone like me still has technique to build on which will also improve swing speed.  Give us some more information about yourself and your game, or better yet, create a my swing thread, and you'll be able to be pointed in the right direction, but it more than likely will not be equipment changes.

Edited by Foot Wedge
Added info

Diego’s Gear
Driver: Callaway Great Big Bertha at 11.5*
5W: Taylormade Jetspeed 19*
Hybrid: Ping G5 22*
Irons: Mizuno MX-23 4-PW
Wedges: Cleveland RTX 2.0 50*, 54*, 58*
Putter: Ping Ketsch 33”
My Swing: https://thesandtrap.com/forums/topic/93417-my-swing-foot-wedge/

38 minutes ago, mighty said:

I think speed has more to do with strength and flexibility than technique, something either you have or you dont, unless you train your body to get stronger. I would say any average healthy male golfer below 50 years old with 2 hands and 2 legs can get to around 85 mph without any training, but if we're talking about 95-100 mph then I dont think it's doable without some kind of training and a close to perfect golf swing.

Sure, you could have two golfers with very similar swing in terms of being good, and they could have a wide range between their swing speeds. That is nit picking the extremes.

Note, the average swing speed for a 14-15 handicap golfer is 95-100 mph. Their swings are far from perfect.

There are golfers who gained mph by doing strength training. Rory gained a big jump in his distance after a few years on the PGA Tour when he started working out hard. Of course he has one of the fastest turn rates on the PGA Tour.

I think swing speed is a mix of both. Proper technique to max out the physical capability, and actually trying to work out to improve the physical capability.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

3 hours ago, klineka said:

No. a few years ago I was very strong (2.1x bodyweight squat (420+lbs) and 2.6x bodyweight deadlift (525+lbs) in competition) and also very flexible (could almost put both palms flat on the floor while keeping legs straight) and I did not swing very fast at all at that point in time.

Over the past couple years my technique has improved, and I actually have stopped lifting so I've become drastically weaker, yet even before starting SuperSpeed training I was swinging right about 95-100 mph with not great technique

I was able to swing 95-100 mph with little to no training and nothing remotely close to a perfect golf swing. I have a buddy who has never done strength training, never had a golf lesson, shoots between 90 and 100 but can hit 1-2 drives out of 10 that go 300+ yards measured with GPS and rangefinders, which means his clubhead speed is definitely over 100mph.

A perfect swing is not necessary to have a 95-100 mph clubhead speed.

I can attest to that.  My driver speed was about 95 when I was playing my best golf (9-10 handicap), but my swing was my own, completely untutored.  I read a bit, tried to apply that on my own, without the benefit of video (this was back in the early-mid 1980's), and the few times I was measured it was right at the 95 mph range.  That gave me above average, but not exceptional, distance among the people I played, with, some of whom played to near scratch.  I doubt that my swing would ever be one to copy, but it has worked for me more or less since the early 70's.

Edited by Fourputt

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

I started a program with a trainer designed on increasing my swing speed and having better body mechanics related to golf. In about 3 months, my swing speed has increased 12 mph and is now over 100mph consistently. I think he is releasing a program available to the public in the next couple of weeks that might be worth checking out. 

Edited by Jameson Smith

Note: This thread is 1867 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!