Salem Golfer

My Swing (Salem Golfer)

13 posts / 455 viewsLast Reply

I've been Playing Golf for: 1 year
My current handicap index or average score is: 10  (only because pain make me hit bad shots)
My typical ball flight is: straight
The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: snap hook when my back hurts too much

Not my best swings but it was the only day I had a camera with me at the range, my back and legs were hurting pretty bad so my swing shows it.

My driver swing speed is normally 109-113 but if I want to and not hurting too bad I will take it up to 117 (just wish I could swing as fast as I did when I started)

My 7 iron swing is normally 90-95 (I try not to swing faster as it screws up my timing.

Um, I dont know what else to put so I will update if something changes :~(

Videos: 

[Delete this, Embed Videos Here]

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

6 minutes ago, iacas said:

That's quite the launch angle on your 7I. Like 30°? Yow.

Yeah, Im having problems still with getting the flight down, Its a 35* 7iron but I should be able to get it down. I have problems with my left elbow and wrist..

Maybe one day I will be able to afford a lesson or 2???

Edited by Salem Golfer

7 hours ago, Salem Golfer said:

Yeah, Im having problems still with getting the flight down, Its a 35* 7iron but I should be able to get it down. I have problems with my left elbow and wrist..

Maybe one day I will be able to afford a lesson or 2???

I recommend Evolvr. It is inexpensive and really good on-line instruction. You work at your own pace and can upload more than full swings too, like short game, putting etc.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

01.jpg

I'd look at:

• The hip sway.
  • The likely fairly level shoulder turn (a DL view would be nice).

I will try to fix this.. I never used to sway or move my left foot off where it was. This was something that I guess I started when I started hitting again last year so my back wouldnt get hurt more. The next time I go to the range I will try to remember the camera to film both views while trying not to sway or move my left foot :~(

Thanks Jacas! 

13 hours ago, boogielicious said:

I recommend Evolvr. It is inexpensive and really good on-line instruction. You work at your own pace and can upload more than full swings too, like short game, putting etc.

Unfortunately I cannot afford lessons. I have just went with what ever swing I had and tried to make it work. :-D

1 hour ago, Salem Golfer said:

Thanks Jacas! 

@iacas

Ok, this is a new one and I can't stop laughing.

4 hours ago, colin007 said:

@iacas

Ok, this is a new one and I can't stop laughing.

Oh crap, I hate it when I make a typing mistake but that one takes the cake.... 

Sorry iacas..

10 hours ago, Salem Golfer said:

Unfortunately I cannot afford lessons. I have just went with what ever swing I had and tried to make it work. :-D

Understand. Many of the comments you will get here in your swing thread will be in line with what Evolvr would do, but less detailed. 

We also have an extensive Instructional Thread section. Being that you were a very good player before your injuries, you will probably understand most of this already. 

After taking a good look at my swing now, I was very disappointed in it. I couldn't remember what my old swing used to look like so I called my brother that got me into playing golf to have a look at the videos. He said and I quote "What the hell did you do to your swing"  I will be going up to where he is staying about 50 to 60 miles away this weekend, He said he has an old VCR tape of my old swing that I can look at.

It will hopefully help with getting back to where I once was. Im sure its going to be a lot of work (10 years of not playing or even thinking of swinging a club has had a bad effect on me)  All I can think is that the pain in my lower back made me start to kick my left knee in towards my right knee in the back swing causing me to sway to that side. 

I will have a few months to work at it before I can actually play a round... I cant play during the winter due to cart path only rule. I tried it a couple months ago but walking from the cart to where my ball was to get a reading of distance, then going back from a club and then back and forth again was about the same as trying to walk the course which I cannot do.

Sure wish I could get back to where I was in 2007, I was doing the P90X workouts and was 175lbs of solid muscle... now Im 225 or 230 so I have a ways to go... :bugout:

And a very big thanks to iacas, if you didnt put those marker lines there I wouldnt have looked twice at what I was doing wrong. At least now I can start on a path to fixing my swing (hopefully getting it close to what it once was)

1 hour ago, Salem Golfer said:

All I can think is that the pain in my lower back made me start to kick my left knee in towards my right knee in the back swing causing me to sway to that side.

I don't think your knee kicking back is the reason you sway, so I wouldn't get too caught up in that movement just because you don't like it or something.

It's about how you're pivoting. If anything, kicking the front knee in and letting the foot come up would allow you to turn your hips more.

@Salem Golfer,

It is entirely possible your body is compensating for your injuries. So even though the swing may feel similar, it has changed because the body is protecting itself. I had the same issues with my left knee. The swing felt the same, but  it was way off. 

It is a good idea to look at your old swing. Then work toward getting back there. The centered hip turn thread is a good start. I would also add this one.

And remember to practice slowly at first. It will help you get there faster and take stress off the body.