IGNORED

Best Golf Day Ever

Cartboy
Note: This thread is 1824 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

What's yours?

Mine?  Oh, thanks for asking.

😁

12 years ago I started working as a "cartboy" at a mostly-retiree country club, and an employee perk was being allowed to play in Men's Day (league).  There is a bit of pressure involved in country club league play, especially for someone who had just taken the game up again after 40 years off.

There was one guy who was a total, condescending jerk from the very first time I met him, and was consistent at that.

We played different formats in league, and one day we played match play.  He was my match because he was a 21 and I was a 20, and we were paired with two of his condescending buddies, them paired against each other.  The only hole he won was 16, the one he got a stroke on.  That was also the only hole I missed a putt on, because I drained all the rest of them.

When I was 6 up with 5 to go, he went home.  I'd never seen anyone not finish their round on Men's Day.

(edited)
25 minutes ago, FLOG4 said:

6 up 5 to go...He only won 16? He walked off 5 to go? Did you start on back 9?

Men's Day was/is a shotgun start.  We could have started anywhere.

What was your best day?

Edited by Cartboy

My best golf day ever....I use the term quite often...Top 10 day. Great weather, great course, great company...good play. good eats/drinks...But my best ever was with my Dad and two of my sons on the course I grew up on. Irem in Dallas, Pa. On 17 I hit a sweet iron to a ridiculous cantilevered green par 3. When I hit it well, I don't watch it as it is going where it should. I only watch intently when I know I need to find it...Anyway my son screams it went in the hole...My dad who was on a tee box below and to side in front with my one son looks at me and says nice shot and continues on like no big deal....Ha....Dad passed before I ever got to play with him again.

I would have to say my best day was 3 years ago playing 18 with my Father.  I'd only been playing 3-4 years and he was 77 and had been playing for almost 40 years.  Still going good for his age.  Spent his Iowa winters playing at the Ft Myers Florida courses.   Got to team up him here for the AMVETS group 2 man scramble a few times.  I didn't embarrass myself too bad and actually surprised him with some shots. 

Best day was when we went out together one weekend with beautiful weather to one of the nice 18 hole courses here. I had the hot clubs that day and I won with an 84 to his 87.  Only time I ever beat him.  He recently passed from cancer at 80 yrs old. 

Remember when reading posts...…. Communication: 80% Body Language; 15% Tone & 5% Actual Words
We'd all be best selling authors if we could communicate in the written word as well as we would like.

:aimpoint:    :bushnell:    :sunmountain:   :ogio:   :titleist:
:mizuno:  Mizuno ST180 Driver
:ping:  Ping G400 fairway 3 
:cleveland:  Cleveland HB Launcher Iron set  4-PW  50/56/60 CBX Wedges
:callaway:  64 Calloway Lob Wedge
 :scotty_cameron:    Scotty Camron GOLO 3

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Yeah,my best day personally was hitting my one and only hole in one. It's hard to beat that, but watching my son play well in his tournaments comes in a very close 2nd. I really enjoy seeing the looks on his face when he plays well.

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

(edited)
1 hour ago, FLOG4 said:

My best golf day ever....I use the term quite often...Top 10 day. Great weather, great course, great company...good play. good eats/drinks...But my best ever was with my Dad and two of my sons on the course I grew up on. Irem in Dallas, Pa. On 17 I hit a sweet iron to a ridiculous cantilevered green par 3. When I hit it well, I don't watch it as it is going where it should. I only watch intently when I know I need to find it...Anyway my son screams it went in the hole...My dad who was on a tee box below and to side in front with my one son looks at me and says nice shot and continues on like no big deal....Ha....Dad passed before I ever got to play with him again.

Sweet!

A guy in my group saw a guy in his group hit a hole-in-one, and said, "I've seen better."

😁

Edited by Cartboy

My best day when I played competitive . . .. high school conference tournament 52 years ago . . . was the worst weather I've ever played in.  Iowa, March, snowy, rainy yucky day.  I was 9 over after two, and pretty much just wanted it over with.  The last hole was a par 3, and we were the last group, but everyone else was gathered around the back of the green, so I figured they were all crazier than me.

I par-ed it, and coach said I was medalist and we won by one stroke.

That's when I peaked . . . very early.

56 minutes ago, Cartboy said:

Sweet!

A guy in my group saw a guy in his group hit a hole-in-one, and said, "I've seen better."

😁

I have two buds who have had holes in one.....and someone in their foursome also had one. One guy was playing in a member/member and his partner knocked it in...So he put his club back and his partner said hey, hit, ya never know you might knock it in...and he did. Another bud plays out of Ivy Hills in Cincy and they have a par 3 which is punchbowl shaped and has more than normal amount of aces...Yea he had one but when they got to next tee, someone else had honors as he had aced it too and had honors prior. 

Once I was playing with abud who had a hole in one...and I hit mine and it went straight into cup and bounded out....maybe his ball threw mine out...Ha...It did rip the cup lip quite a bit.

I guess it was in the year 2000. I won the junior season here in Argentina so i was rewarded with a trip to "The Doral Spa and Resort". 4 days and 3 nigths in the resort all included and a spot in the field of that year Doral Publix Junior Golf Classic.
My best golf day was the practice day where i was able to play in the USA for the first (and only) time. i played 18 holes at the blue monster and another 18 holes in the white course, the one designed by Norman. After that played a bit more golf at the resort, yes in the elevator, stairs and corridors till i get yelled to quit playing there. After that i bougth some new clubs a lot cheaper than in Argentina and In the nigth i had dinner at hooters :D.   

Tournament data.. I played the first 2 rounds in both courses and failed the cut by 1 stroke. In the consolation 3rd round i played the gold course so i knew another course of the complex. Amazing golf trip that i will keep in my memories forever.  

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, p1n9183 said:

i had dinner at hooters 😄.    

People say we're all connected somehow.  "Six Degrees of Separation."

How many times has a complete stranger said something that rings a bell?

A fraternity brother of mine founded the restaurant that became the framework for Hooters . . . 1983, I believe.  We're both from Iowa and we both live in Florida now, him in Clearwater, up the road a bit.

PS: I've never eaten at Hooters.

I can’t temember a single specific day that stands out, there are just too damn many over the years.  It would have to be a round with my dad and a couple of close friends though.

Great weather, a great course, and family/friends with whom to share it all...

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

15 minutes ago, David in FL said:

I can’t temember a single specific day that stands out, there are just too damn many over the years.  It would have to be a round with my dad and a couple of close friends though.

Great weather, a great course, and family/friends with whom to share it all...

Where in FL is David in FL?

37 minutes ago, Cartboy said:

Where in FL is David in FL?

Greater Orlando

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Note: This thread is 1824 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!