IGNORED

Fleetwood Not Given Relief From Drain. Why Not?

SAGolfLuvr
Note: This thread is 1839 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

If you're watching the Players Championship, you know what I am talking about, no relief from a man-made drain around the green, resulting in a bogey. After seeing this, I am now afraid to take relief from any obvious man-made object without breaking the rules. I'd better get creative.  Guess that means WE ALL better strive to be better golfers and never need relief.

• iacas changed the title to Fleetwood Not Given Relief From Drain. Why Not?
  • Administrator
3 minutes ago, SAGolfLuvr said:

If you're watching the Players Championship, you know what I am talking about, no relief from a man-made drain around the green, resulting in a bogey. After seeing this, I am now afraid to take relief from any obvious man-made object without breaking the rules. I'd better get creative.  Guess that means WE ALL better strive to be better golfers and never need relief.

You're gonna need to post a picture or something.

He probably didn't meet the criteria for relief.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I saw this while watching today. It was directly in front of his line of play, but wasn't interfering with his stance, swing, and the ball wasn't on it. I guess the PGA Tour doesn't have the Local Rule on immovable obstructions interfering with your line of play near the green (Local Rule F-5). Without the Local Rule, you don't get relief when a drain is only interfering with your line of play.

FWIW, I think the drain was more than 2 club lengths away from the putting green, so he wouldn't have gotten relief under the local rule anyway.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

Here's what it looked like (16th hole, 2nd round):

242267622_fleetwooddrainoffgreen.thumb.JPG.1f6c68afa123a0edae4d04bf20bd6e3c.JPG

2136001107_fleetwooddrain2.thumb.JPG.7d895b200ff4208cda81ba47265534ff.JPG

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

It’s only in his line of play, not stance, lie, or swing.

From what I know, I don’t believe the PGA Tour uses that local rule. And as Deadman pointed out, he’s more than 2CL’s from the green and wouldn’t be eligible anyway. I know they use the local rule overseas on a lot of courses. 

Just a bad break here in America. 

11 hours ago, SAGolfLuvr said:

It was too far from the edge of the green to qualify for interference on line of play under the local rule (the local rule IS in effect, as I saw it used in Thursday's round).  The lie of his ball met the second provision of the local rule, but not the first requirement.  Both conditions must be met to be entitled to relief:

Model Local Rule F-5

“Relief from interference by an immovable obstruction may be taken under Rule 16.1.

The player also has these extra options to take relief when such immovable obstructions are close to the putting green and on the line of play:

Ball in General Area. The player may take relief under Rule 16.1b if an immovable obstruction is:

Exception – No Relief If Line of Play Clearly Unreasonable. There is no relief under this Local Rule if the player chooses a line of playthat is clearly unreasonable.

• Informative 1

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

• Administrator
20 hours ago, SAGolfLuvr said:

So there's your answer. While it was "around the green" it wasn't within 2 CL of the green.

Would have been the same thing if a drain was a yard in front of him in the fairway. Irrelevant.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

21 hours ago, Augster said:

It’s only in his line of play, not stance, lie, or swing.

From what I know, I don’t believe the PGA Tour uses that local rule. And as Deadman pointed out, he’s more than 2CL’s from the green and wouldn’t be eligible anyway. I know they use the local rule overseas on a lot of courses. 

Just a bad break here in America. 

Bingo! It did not interfere with his stance or his swing, Thus, no relief. I've played plenty of shots like that. 

On 3/15/2019 at 10:49 PM, SAGolfLuvr said:

I'd better get creative.  Guess that means WE ALL better strive to be better golfers and never need relief.

Or....we can all make an effort to understand the rules a bit better and learn how to abide by them and when they can be advantageous.😁

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Note: This thread is 1839 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!