IGNORED

Eagles!?!?!

Borf
Note: This thread is 5519 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. How often do you eagle?

• Never
    • 1 in a lifetime
    • 1 in a year
    • 2,3,4,5 + a year
    • 10+ a year

Just curious how common eagles are for all the people out there.

once in a lifetime, once every 5 years, once a season, weekly, daily?
maybe post what par hole you made eagle on also

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, there's a par-5 that I used to think was tricky, so I would think of it as a par-6. I made a 4 on it one day and it felt like an eagle. Now I expect - and get - par (5) regularly there.

So no, I've never made an eagle, if you believe the scorecard.

A buddy of mine (10-12 handicap) makes them with regularity around me, but maybe that's because he plays easier courses with me? I've seen him hit driver-wedge into a par-5 three times (long hitter + downwind + great shot), so it's not a surprise that he's parlayed a few such shots into eagles.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I usually hit 5-8 per season. It's a great feeling when you get one but it hurts the heart when you miss the putt by just a couple millimeters.

Titleist 913 D3 10.5*

Adams Super XTD 17*

Adams DHY 21*

TaylorMade TP MB 4-PW

Titleist SM4 54*/58*/62*

Bettinardi SS 11

Leupold GX-3i Rangefinder

Titleist ProV1 Ball

I get a few per year. On the course I play my league on 3 of the 4 par-5's have the ability to be eagled. They range between 493 yds and 534 yds (the other is 514). Obviously getting a good drive is a must, but I usually get at least a few opportunities on each per season.

WHAT'S IN MY BAG

Driver: TaylorMade RBZ 9.5 degree; 3-Wood: TaylorMade RBZ 15 degree; Hybrids: TaylorMade RBZ 19 degree; Irons: Titleist AP1; Wedges: Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 54/60; Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Select Fastback; Ball: Callaway Hex Chrome+  Grips:  PURE Pro

I'm a one-a-year kinda guy. I'll get about a half dozen legit chances.

Last year my eagle came in a scramble. And I did putt first BTW. But still, it's not even like really getting one when it's in a freakin' scramble.

I picked one in a year, but it's not really that frequent for me. I have had 5 in the 15 years that I have been playing golf and none in the last 7 years. My back issues have caused me to change the way I workout and I have lost some strength and distance. The crazy thing is I have never had one on a par 5. They have all come on par 4's. 4 came on the same course. Two each on numbers 4 and 8 that I play on my league. Both are driveable in the 280-310 range. They came in a two year stretch. Three were putts and one was a chip. My first one ever was on a course in West Michigan. I think it was called Pebble Creek. It was a 320 yard par 4. I hit my tee shot pin high and left of the green. There was a bunker between me and the green. I opened the face of my wedge and hit a perfect pitch that landed about a foot onto the green and rolled the last 10 feet before dropping in the center of the cup. That was 10 years ago and I can still see it going in.

I did lip out a putt for eagle on the par 5 18th at White Lake Oaks in October. I had just started hitting my 3 wood well again and the Par 5's were reachable in 2 again.
Driver: 9.5° 905R Stiff Aldila NV 65
3 Wood: 15.° Pro Trajectory 906F4 Stiff Aldila VS Proto Blue
Hybrid: 19.0° 503 H Stiff Dynamic Gold S400
Hybrid: 21.0° Edge C.F.T. Ti Stiff Aldila NVS
Irons: 775cb 4-GW w/S300 Sand Wedge: Vokey 58° Puttter: Laguna Mid-Slant Pro PlatinumBall: ProV1Bag: Li...

Ive had many chances, including 3 ft putts which ive missed for eagle.

There are some holes on my course that are par 4/5 (5 for ladies)

If I took them as par 5's, I'd have 5 eagles now . But No, i dont have any eagles.

In My Bag

Driver: Sasquatch 460 9.5°
3 Wood: Laser 3 Wood 15°
5 Wood: r7 19° (Stiff)Irons: S58 Irons 4-PW Orange DotWedge: Harmonized 60°Wedge: Z TP 54°Putter: Tiffany 34"Balls: Pro V1 Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 IIThe Meadows Golf Coursewww.themeadowsgc.comAge: 16

I have been playing golf for five years. I regret to say that I have never been able to give myself a chance for an eagle on a par five. I have come within inches of an eagle on several occassions on par fours, but, alas, no cigar. I am sure the first time will feel sweet, indeed.

shortgame85
In the Bag:
Driver: :TaylorMade: RBZ 9.5 Reg Flex
3 Wood :TaylorMade: RBZ Reg Flex
Hybrid: Ping G25 Hybrids 17*, 20*, 23*

Irons:Ping G25 5-Gap Wedge, Sr Flex, Vokey 56.14 Spin Mill NS Pro Reg, Flex

Putter: Bobby Grace Center Shaft 32"

i've been really close twice. on the fourth hole, a par three, i somehow purred an 8 iron that took a chunk out of the side of the cup but rolled 20 feet away. i three-putted, of course. then on the 9th, a par 5 i hit the drive of my life, the hit a three wood that i aimed at a bunker that is about 40 yards right of the green because the green is over water. i hit a massive hook that ended up 20 feet away. i absolutely killed my putt off the green, pitched up, and made par

driver- R580XD 9.5*
3 wood- m/speed
hybrid- cft ti 4h
irons- fp 4-gap
wedges- 54* and RAC satin 56* 12 bounceputter- 1/2 Craz-Eballs- DT Carry, e5, anything found thats is good shapeshoes-adidashome course - nothing - uh oh. perhaps pleasant view againschool...

Drove a short par 4 (around 290 yards) and sank the 5 foot putt. Easy! Never repeated though.

Superquad
Fusion #3
Big Bertha Warbird #5
755 3-PW
Vokey SM56.10 & 60.08 White Hot 2-ball

I usually hit 5-8 per season. It's a great feeling when you get one but it hurts the heart when you miss the putt by just a couple millimeters.

it is a dagger in the heart when you miss the makeable eagle putts and chips for that matter. I already boned up a 15 foot eagle chip with my 9-iron... it was center cut, 4 inches short.

to answer the Q... I should make 1-4 next year. 3 last year for about 60 rounds. For the record... I try to play 6200-6700 yds... I think this is a big factor for some people, if you are playing a short course eagles are much more attainable. I know a few courses that have those 460 yard par 5's and if I played that weekley I would chalk up a few extras.
My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18°) & 3h(20°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52°-10° & 58°-10°; Odyssey...

My eagle was one of those miraculous approach shots on a par 5. Split fairway par 5 that makes you hit 5 wood off the tee to lay up. 3 iron second shot and then I had a 9 iron into the hole which landed left of the pin and trickled down the hill into the hole. Best part was that my Mom was playing with me that day so it was fun to have someone close to me see it.

Just last week I had an eagle putt on the longest par 5 on our course and came up about 1 foot short. The most frustrating chance I had was hitting the flagstick with my second shot into a par 5 but hitting it high so that it knocked the ball away about 40 feet. Gave it a run but did not go in.

The guy I play with regularly who hits the ball well, 8 handicap, has never had one and it frustrates him.
In my bag:
Driver : 905R 9.5*
3 Wood: Big Bertha Titanium 15*
5 Wood: Big Bertha Titanium 19*
Irons : 755Wedges: Vokey 50* Wedges: 588 DSG 56* Putter: 2 Ball Lined Blade 35Ball : ProV1

I have three in more years than I care to specify.
#1 - holed a 9-iron on a par-5 for an eagle 3.
#2 - holed a 4-iron on a par-4 for an eagle 2.
#3 - holed a 30 (or so) foot putt a couple of weeks ago on a par-5 for an eagle 3.

I once (theoretically) had an eagle putt on a par-4, but the green was shaped like Africa. My ball was in Liberia & the hole was in Senegal - and there was a huge sand bunker in the Gulf of Guinea . . .

I have three in more years than I care to specify.

My last one was on a green shaped like Illinois. I made a putt from Chicago to Springfield. It sure sounds longer than the 15' that it was.

Driver: 9.5° 905R Stiff Aldila NV 65
3 Wood: 15.° Pro Trajectory 906F4 Stiff Aldila VS Proto Blue
Hybrid: 19.0° 503 H Stiff Dynamic Gold S400
Hybrid: 21.0° Edge C.F.T. Ti Stiff Aldila NVS
Irons: 775cb 4-GW w/S300 Sand Wedge: Vokey 58° Puttter: Laguna Mid-Slant Pro PlatinumBall: ProV1Bag: Li...

Have only had 2 in my lifetime, been playing seriously about 2 years now (40+ rounds a year), but both eagles were about 10 years ago. One was on a 490yd par 5, 250yd drive, then 230yd 3 wood, roll up on green, then 20ft putt. Second one was 365yd par 4, 240yd drive, 125yd 9 iron in the cup. Looking forward to a bunch more over the next few years.

Enjoy life now ladies and gentlemen, there is no second time around.

I have only had one real good chance at an eagle. I drove the green on a par 4 and was about 10 feet from the cup. Missed the putt, missed the birdie putt too DOH!
"When I play with him, he talks to me on every green. He turns to me and says, 'You're away.' "
-Jimmy Demaret referring to Ben Hogan

In The Bag:
Driver: Cleveland HiBore XL (10.5 -conforming)3 Wood: MacGregor V-FOIL5 Wood: Mizuno MP-001Irons: Ben Hogan BH-5 (4-PW)Wedges:52 - Nike SV Tour56 - Cleve...

I guess I usually get 1 or 2 a year I get a few looks. I not sure if eagle is something I go for much on my home course. Some of the other tracks I play though give you a good chance at them. Mostly though the course I play has a lot of trouble around the greens so on the 5 pars I tend to leave myself a wedge in.

In the Bag:
Driver:Adams Speedline F11 9 degree RIP Gamma 

3 Wood: Adams Fast 10 15 degrees Voodoo shaft
Hybrid: Irons: Mizuno MP59 Sensicore  XStiff

Wedges: Cleveland Gun Metal 52 56 degree

Putter: Rife: Belly Barbados Tropical

Ball: Titliest Pro V 1

Note: This thread is 5519 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!