IGNORED

Obama Won!

Grndslmhttr3
Note: This thread is 5638 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

My opinion is that republicans in general will be much easier on Obama than the liberals were on Bush. At least from the start. Are you kidding me? When was the last time you saw a bunch of right wingers standing on a street corner with signs protesting something. Conservatives RARELY protest anything. Its just not what we do. Like I have said many times before conservatives are too busy working to protest anything.

Wow, take the blinders off. Abortion, no one affiliated with the Republican party ever protests abortions. Gay Marriage, that is totally ignored by the right wing. Stem Cell research, same thing.

It's one thing to believe in the republican party but to sit here and be so two faced, discredits every valid point you may have raised.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, take the blinders off. Abortion, no one affiliated with the Republican party ever protests abortions. Gay Marriage, that is totally ignored by the right wing. Stem Cell research, same thing.

OK the religious zealots who protest abortion and the like do not align themselves neccessarily with the republican party. In NM the state is like 65% Catholic and also very heavily democrat. Those Catholics don't like abortion any more than the religious right yet vote democrat. I grow extremely tired of the religious right and wish they would remove their god from my politics and at the same time I see abortion as less of a party issue and more of a moral issue. It blurrs the line at the very least.

Gay marriage? Okay the most liberal state in the union, California, just voted against gay marriage. Again you want to align the reluctance to accept gay marriage with republicans when many democrats won't accept it and lots of republicans don't care. Gay marriage and abortion are two issues that are fought over really and truly between the religious and the less religious. Between different religions. Somehow they've aligned themselves with conservatives I reject that.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

OK the religious zealots who protest abortion and the like do not align themselves neccessarily with the republican party. In NM the state is like 65% Catholic and also very heavily democrat. Those Catholics don't like abortion any more than the religious right yet vote democrat. I grow extremely tired of the religious right and wish they would remove their god from my politics and at the same time I see abortion as less of a party issue and more of a moral issue. It blurrs the line at the very least.

The fundamentals of your whole argument here is flawed. The republicans aligned themselves with the religious zealots. The republican party really starting with Ronald Reagan introduced God into politcs. So you can't split the two up. Right Wing = Republican = Religious. It is the whole basis for picking Sarah Palin.

Now, there are two factions of the republican party the social conservatives and the fiscal conservatives, but your party nominated and the country elected the former not the latter. And judging by your previous posts you agree with a lot of what he did so you are. But they are both part of the Republican Party. I would also argue that the social conservatives are the larger portion of the GOP. Most of the conservatives that I know are leaving the republicans and becoming libertarians.

The fundamentals of your whole argument here is flawed. The republicans aligned themselves with the religious zealots. The republican party really starting with Ronald Reagan introduced God into politcs. So you can't split the two up. Right Wing = Republican = Religious. It is the whole basis for picking Sarah Palin.

Sarah Palin was not chosen to lock up the religious right. She is ultra conservative and meant to help bring the hardcore conservatives back that did not like McCain's more moderate record. We can go round and round about this but my first comment still stands:
My opinion is that republicans in general will be much easier on Obama than the liberals were on Bush. At least from the start. Are you kidding me? When was the last time you saw a bunch of right wingers standing on a street corner with signs protesting something. Conservatives RARELY protest anything. Its just not what we do. Like I have said many times before conservatives are too busy working to protest anything.

The religious who take the time to picket abortion clinics are a very very small percentage of republicans, and I happen to know a few of the nutcases who are actually democrats.

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 

All these comments toward Smallville piss me off! (This is not directed at your Smallville) How dare the liberals of this country congratulate conservatives for accepting Barack Obama as our president. These same liberals who showed up in mass to protest George Bush's inaugurations in 2001 and 2005. These same liberals who immediately started criticizing and driving around with those "He's not my president" bumper stickers. I love this country and sincerely hope Barack Obama is able move it in the right direction. But, as far as getting compliments from the Democrats that could not do the same for us 8 and 4 years ago. I can do without them.

I can't speak for the rest, but I'm wondering:

* What makes you think I'm liberal? * Why do you think I protested GWB in 2001 or 2005? * Why do you think I have any bumper stickers? * Why you think I'm affiliated with the Democratic party? Yes, I voted for Obama. But really, I'm attracted to the Republican Party for their being fiscally conservative. I spent the majority of the time I was looking at the election trying to find some slim excuse to convince myself that McCain was more conservative on the economy (by comparing campaign promises of the two candidates), or at the very least, that Palin would be good for that if she took over. Really, I wanted to vote Republican, but on everything that attracts me to the Republican Party, the Democrat appeared to be better on that. If you want to go dig up the threads elsewhere on this board where we discussed socialized medicine, you'll find me against it - and getting plenty of flack for it. If you want to dig up the gun control thread, you'll find me plenty against it. I referred to George Bush as "President Bush" the day of his election and ever since then - even when it was cool to call him "Governor Bush" (pre-2004 election). Had I voted in 2000 or 2004, I believe I would have voted for him. I find bumper stickers (and, for that matter, T-Shirts with political messages) to be some of the most asinine things there are. I registered to vote as a Republican. Obama is the first Democrat I voted for. Most of the folks they run in California worry me - and I'm quite fond of our Republican governor.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

I can't speak for the rest, but I'm wondering:

Like I said in my earlier post:

First to any and all non complaining liberals I am sorry if i misspoke.

I will then amend my statement to include you. I am sorry to non-complaining liberals or republicans.

Yes, I voted for Obama. But really, I'm attracted to the Republican Party for their being fiscally conservative. I spent the majority of the time I was looking at the election trying to find some slim excuse to convince myself that McCain was more conservative on the economy (by comparing campaign promises of the two candidates), or at the very least, that Palin would be good for that if she took over. Really, I wanted to vote Republican, but on everything that attracts me to the Republican Party, the Democrat appeared to be better on that.

That's pretty much how it played out for me this year, except that I did vote "W" in '04.

Where I play: Mission Viejo CC and
long Beach Skylinks

In My Red Cleveland Club Count Bag Today;
Hibore XLS 11.5* w/ Diamana Redboard Flowerband 63 S 2009 Launcher 3WD HT 17* w/ Graffalloy Epic 87g S Hibore XLS Hybrid 22* w/ Graffalloy Epic S and 25* w/ Project X 6.0 CG2 4-PW w/ Project X 6.0 HL...

Please, NM Golf, just give the whole liberal bashing thing a rest. It's not important, and it doesn't lead this conversation anywhere but turning everyone involved against you.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

Please, NM Golf, just give the whole liberal bashing thing a rest. It's not important, and it doesn't lead this conversation anywhere but turning everyone involved against you.

I remember what it was like being 22 and thinking I knew everything and had all the answers. Well, fortunately I grew up started a family and had to begin worrying about their well being. So forgive me for "bashing" liberals who I sincerely believe stand between me and my families well being. It very easy to be liberal when you are young. Whats the saying "If you're not Liberal when you're 25, you have no heart. If you're not Conservative when you're 35, you have no brain."

I grow extremely tired of bickering with kids who have little or no real life experience. You are not changing my opinion, we'll see how you feel when you have a wife and family to support and care for. BYE!

I remember what it was like being 22 and thinking I knew everything and had all the answers. Well, fortunately I grew up started a family and had to begin worrying about their well being. So forgive me for "bashing" liberals who I sincerely believe stand between me and my families well being. It very easy to be liberal when you are young. Whats the saying "If you're not Liberal when you're 25, you have no heart. If you're not Conservative when you're 35, you have no brain."

So, just because I'm not as old as you means that you're inherently superior? And what exactly have I done to threaten your family's wellbeing?

Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

So, just because I'm not as old as you means that you're inherently superior? And what exactly have I done to threaten your family's wellbeing?

It certainly means I have more life experience and more to lose if this country doesn't come out of this. You personally have done nothing to me and even though I completely disagree with your opinion I totally believe you have the right to both have it and express it, just as I do. So don't play the victim, you called me out, I defended my opinion now you want to act like I picked on you in the schoolyard. Please.

If there's one undeniable truth I've learned about conservatives since I began to follow politics - its that they're slightly more hard headed than their liberal counterparts (for or against their benefit whether they realize it or not). NM is no exception

:P
In the bag Nike SasQuatch SuMo 10.5* {} Tiger Shark Hammerhead 3w, 5w, 3h {} Nickent 3DX Pro 5i-PW {} Titleist Vokey 250.08* {} Cleveland CG11. 54* {} Callaway X-Tour 58.11* {} Carbite Tour Classic Putter {} Titleist ProV1x

i don't think people should be criticizing sarah palin for not knowing what three countries were in north america or for thinking africa was a country and not a continent. she was running for vice president and not 10th grade geography teacher.

They will beat their swords into golf clubs and their spears into putters. Nation will not take up sword against nation, nor will they train for war anymore. Old Tom Morris 2:4

If there's one undeniable truth I've learned about conservatives since I began to follow politics - its that they're slightly more hard headed than their liberal counterparts (for or against their benefit whether they realize it or not). NM is no exception

My experience says otherwise - most of the people I know (in person) who I would describe as hard headed conservatives / Republicans (myself included) ended up voting for Obama, for much the same reasons that I did. I can't say I see my hard-headed liberal friends voting for even a moderate Republican such as if our current governor should choose to run for some other office.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

My experience says otherwise - most of the people I know (in person) who I would describe as hard headed conservatives / Republicans (myself included) ended up voting for Obama, for much the same reasons that I did. I can't say I see my hard-headed liberal friends voting for even a moderate Republican such as if our current governor should choose to run for some other office.

I think your right although I would hope Arnie would be the one exception to that. My ideal candidate is extremely fiscally conservative and socially moderate though leaning to the liberal side. I don't think I'll ever see that in mainstream politics unfortunately.

long Beach Skylinks

Hibore XLS 11.5* w/ Diamana Redboard Flowerband 63 S 2009 Launcher 3WD HT 17* w/ Graffalloy Epic 87g S Hibore XLS Hybrid 22* w/ Graffalloy Epic S and 25* w/ Project X 6.0 CG2 4-PW w/ Project X 6.0 HL...

I'm going along with EquipmentJunkie here. If I ever had the opportunity to vote for a so-called "Rockefeller Republican," I would very strongly consider it. The reality is, though, that the sort of platform I would find appealing -- moderate to liberal on social issues, rejecting hawkishness on foreign policy, fiscally conservative as to endorsing purposeful frugality over slash-in-burn economics to satisfy tax pandering -- doesn't exist nationally within the GOP, and definitely not in my state. For all practical purposes, that candidate is always a centrist Democrat.

I'm 57. I've seen a few Presidents come and go in my adult lifetime. I survived every one of them. I didn't always agree with the policies they or their party may have represented, but I've always supported them and called the President. I'm a moderate Republican (yes, there are moderates still in this world and not everyone is a conservative or liberal). I don't support the far right and I don't support the far left. They both have it wrong.

President-elect Obama will have his hands full as there are many things that need addressing in this country. Ultimately, however, his performance, be it good or bad in the end, will be subject to the whims of Congress. While the Presidents get all of the blame and some of the credit for what happens on their watch, ultimately Congress is the underlying force.

This country needs to unite behind their President, be they Republican or Democrat or some derivative thereof. We have been divided long enough. We need representatives that work for US and not for their party. It's time that we demand that our Congress put the USA first and not the interests of their party or their reelection. If I had my way, we'd fire Congress and start over. Term limits isn't a bad idea!

On another note....not all Christians are of the Religious Right. In fact, many of us cringe every time the Religious Right gets on their pulpit. Faith in God isn't about supporting anti-abortion, prayer in school, or defeating gay marriage. Those are political arguments that some have chosen to misrepresent under the guise of Christianity....and in the process, have done great harm to religion in general and Christianity specifically.

So....let's go play some golf!

On another note....not all Christians are of the Religious Right. In fact, many of us cringe every time the Religious Right gets on their pulpit. Faith in God isn't about supporting anti-abortion, prayer in school, or defeating gay marriage. Those are political arguments that some have chosen to misrepresent under the guise of Christianity....and in the process, have done great harm to religion in general and Christianity specifically.

As an atheist and former Christian I admire you for saying this. If my parents would have taken this attitude rather that the fear inducing "If you do/don't do X you are going to hell." I may have given religion another chance.

long Beach Skylinks

Note: This thread is 5638 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!