IGNORED

taking somebody out for the first time

clearwaterms
Note: This thread is 5106 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

A friend of mine has expressed interest in learning the game of golf. I have told him that I would be happy to accompany him for a round / trip to the range, however I would like to ensure that he learns the game properly and I am not a good teacher (at least I am smart enough to know that) I can show him a good grip and posture, but to try to explain the take away, swing plane, impact position, etc I feel that it is best left to professionals. however this person (former college athelete, above average athletic ability) has never swung a golf club. He would like to try out the game before he invests any cash in lessons, etc. so my question to everybody here is, if you wanted to give somebody some light reading material suggestions before they stepped on the course for the first time what would you suggest?

I was thinking Hogan's book, but I suspect for somebody who has never swung a club that might be a difficult read (it is an excellent book, but until you have something to apply it to, I question how effective it would be) maybe some youtube videos, etc. I hope that my friend will enjoy the game and seek proper training from a qualified professional, but I would like to get him started down the right path and then let him tackle the game on his own.

Thank you in advance.

In my bag:

some golf clubs

a few golf balls

a bag of tee's some already broken the rest soon to be

a snickers wrapper (if you have seen me play, you would know you are not going anywhere for a while)

and an empty bottle of water

Do what I did with my wife....
have him hit the driving range for awhile first, then stay on the par 3's for awhile longer.
After he has a comprehension of what's involved, he can take to whatever level he chooses.

Burner 2.0 Graphite 4-AW
09 Burner 10.5*
08 #3 Burner 15*
09 Burner 3H
09 Burner 4H
TM-110 putter

Vokey 56.11
Titleist NXT 

have him hit the driving range for awhile first, then stay on the par 3's for awhile longer.

This is what I would do. Do the driving range for a while and after he's got a pretty good idea about what it takes find an executive or par 3 course so he can begin to understand how to behave and what it takes to work his way around a course. He might like it right away and want to take a few lessons at the range before moving on. Encourage him but encourage him to take the right steps and you may well end up with a new golf buddy.

Nike Vapor Speed driver 12* stock regular shaft
Nike Machspeed 4W 17*, 7W 21* stock stiff shafts
Ping i10 irons 4-9, PW, UW, SW, LW AWT stiff flex
Titleist SC Kombi 35"; Srixon Z Star XV tour yellow

Clicgear 3.0; Sun Mountain Four 5

driving range is the most fun for a new player.

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Wood - sam snead persimmon 2 wood (for windy days)
Hybrid burner tour launch 20* stiff flex.
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

I think youtube videos are a good idea, nothing like seeing it done in front of you. Definitely don't take him on the course right away, it will just be embarrassing for him and frustrating for everyone else.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I lost count of the number of times I got stuck with a first timer or close on a full blown, 6500yd course. Lost count of strokes after a couple of holes. I'm nice and as helpful as I can be, but it's a long day and a couple of times, nearly got dinged with no warning.

Many people don't even think of going to a par 3 or executive first.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

A friend of mine has expressed interest in learning the game of golf. .. I am not a good teacher (at least I am smart enough to know that) I can show him a good grip and posture, but to try to explain the take away, swing plane, impact position, etc I feel that it is best left to professionals. however this person (former college athelete, above average athletic ability) has never swung a golf club. He would like to try out the game before he invests any cash in lessons, etc. ...

I've been where you've been several times. And, the reason I have

taught golf without a license was to be a missionary of good social order: Show them the basics rather than turning them loose to tie up the golf course and make everyone else mad. I started them out on the range with basic alignment, and then some chip shots. Second time at the range we went with full swing and putting. Then, after third time - a quick warm-up - I took them out to play nine holes of par 3. I wanted them to think scoring, and not worry too much about trying to bomb 300 yd. drives. In fact, we had a rule that they would hit a 3-wood off the tee until they broke 90. (In all three cases, these people had a set of clubs that more or less fit them.) As for your friend, an experienced athlete should understand the importance of learning things right from the start. Begin with some lessons, or maybe an evening golf clinic for beginners. As for gear, start him out with a 6 iron (buy a demo club that fits him) and a putter. Besides full shots, he can chip with a 6 iron. After he does the lessons or the clinic, someone can give him a static fitting for a basic set of clubs. As for training aides and videos, have him get one video set from one good source (online or DVD). If you give him assorted video clips from Joe, Mary and Bob, he has to try to learn three different swing styles all at once - too much confusion. As for a book, Hogan's Five Lessons is a good one. Suggest he buy the hardback version so he can lay it out flat when practicing static stance and grip items. Keep us posted!

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Don't count out taking him to a course right away. I have a par 3 course near me that I took my cousin and fiance to for their first time. They both enjoyed the experience and still go with me from time to time. My cousin has since bought himself a box set from Dick's to learn with (I would have tried to talk him out of it if i knew, but it should be okay for him).

I agree the range then par 3 course by then he should know if it's something he wants to take on full steam. Even when he's ready for a real course take him one evening for a 9 hole round.
Driver: i15, 3 wood: G10, Hybrid: Nickent 4dx, Irons: Ping s57, Wedges: Mizuno MPT 52, 56, 60, Putter: XG #9 

like most others said, take him to the range. going out to the course can be really unforgiving to someone new and can turn them away from golf pretty easily if they have high hopes of doing somewhat decent.

I think the iron/putter suggestion was the best one. I'd suggest a 7 rather than a 6, but I agree with the basic concept.

Get them into an athletic, balanced posture. Give them some kind of grip that fits them and is strong-neutral. Give them a basic takeaway that keeps their left arm straight or slightly bowed throughout, and have them swing about 60-70%. Let them make some swings until they make decent contact.

Also, have them around a green right away. Chipping, especially, develops a feel for clubhead and crisp ball contact, which helps the full swing.

Current Gear Setup: Driver: TM R9 460, 9.5, Stiff - 3W: TM R9, 15, stiff - Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Black, 18, stiff - Irons: Callaway X Forged 09, 3-PW, PX 5.5 - SW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 54.14 - LW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 60.12 - Putter: PING Redwood Anser, 33in.

Range maybe once or twice, then a Par 3 or Executive course if one is available. Finding a place that isn't busy is beneficial to both your friend and the other players out there. Either way, just like the rest of us, he'll probably get hooked no matter how he gets started.

Don't forget, swing mechanics are great, but don't forget to teach him things like etiquette and how to be ready to hit a shot when it is his turn. Playing with new players can be frustrating for experienced players when the new players take forever. Showing them how to get ready while others are hitting can be helpful.
In my bag:

Driver: FT-5, 9° stiff
Wood: Big Bertha 3W/5W
Irons: X-20 TourWedges: X Tour 52°/56°Hybrids: Idea Pro 2/3/4Putter: Black Series #2Ball: NXT Extreme/NXT Tour

short cheap little 9 hole courses are great for that kind of thing too, that's where I started, got to take a whack at embarrassing myself with a driver.

I'm learning the game on a Par 3. It's cheap and you focus mainly on short game which is the most important aspect of Golf. At mine it's $5.50 for 18 holes walking on a 2600 yard Par 3.

Also I just beat my old score by ten strokes today!!!!

I'm learning the game on a Par 3. It's cheap and you focus mainly on short game which is the most important aspect of Golf. At mine it's $5.50 for 18 holes walking on a 2600 yard Par 3.

I can't even go to the range around me for $5.50, that's awesome though I am jealous. We have a decent little par 3 course that is $15 for play all day. That is how I got hooked on this game.

I have a 9 hole par 36 course within 15 mins of my house that is 8$ to walk all day as many holes as you can. It's not a very nice course albeit but it is probably the cheapest I will ever play golf haha.

I have a 9 hole par 36 course within 15 mins of my house that is 8$ to walk all day as many holes as you can. It's not a very nice course albeit but it is probably the cheapest I will ever play golf haha.

Thats a great deal though. I love walking, it adds so much enjoyment and relaxation to the game..

I can't even go to the range around me for $5.50, that's awesome though I am jealous. We have a decent little par 3 course that is $15 for play all day. That is how I got hooked on this game.

It's funny, A large bucket is $4.00, that's more than to play nine holes. The cart prices are outrageous though as are the weekend prices. I never do either..

...Also, have them around a green right away. Chipping, especially, develops a feel for clubhead and crisp ball contact, which helps the full swing.

Chipping helps full sling...

Well said!

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Note: This thread is 5106 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!