IGNORED

How many of you still carry a 3 iron?

Note: This thread is 5034 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I used to until recently. Not anymore. I guess part of the reason is my very unforgiving old titleist mb irons. The #3 was tough to hit consitantly. I switched it with a 4 hybrid. I find that I hit my 4 hybrid a lot longer than my 4 iron and even a bit longer than my 3 iron and it's a lot more forgiving so I ditched the 3 iron and now carry both a 4 hybrid and a 4 iron. Every casual golfer should replace their long irons with hybrids.

Most paople are really only fooling themselves keeping #2 and #3 irons in the bag because they "feel like it fits them better"

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most paople are really only fooling themselves keeping #2 and #3 irons in the bag because they "feel like it fits them better"

Nothing to do with fooling, most of the easier to hit hybrids, do hook sometimes !

Cal Razr Hawk 10.5 | TM Superfast 3W | Adams Idea Pro Black 20 | MP-68 3-PW | TW9 50/06 + 58/12 | Ram Zebra Putter

I am now that I sold my Adams set and got the Mizunos. I was planning on getting a hybrid and shelving the 3i, but I am hitting it pretty good, so I will hold off for a while.

- Shane

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Dumped the 3 iron several years ago and replaced it with a 3-hybrid, Never really liked the 3 iron; I would use the 4 iron more than anything. But I will say I love my hybrids.

Sticks-In-The-Bag

R9 Driver 9.5
R9 3 & 5 Fairway
Rescues 3 & 4 Hybrids Burner 4-PW Irons Tp 52, 56, 60 Wedges Rossa Putter

or some of us actually do have a steep angle of attack making it easier to hit irons than it would for us to hit hybrids. also hybrids are genuinely not as good for shot making because they are made for the average hacker, not the single digit golfer who can handle a 3 iron. they are made for people with flat swings who need help getting the ball in that air. dont get me wrong, there great for the most people but what you call fooling themselves is actually just realization that people might not have the right swing for a hybrid. i have tried them and i just dont have the right swing so i stick with a 3 iron. im not fooling myself, i would just rather be able to take the swing iv knows since i started playing golf then change my swing for possibly 5 more yards.

|callaway.gif X460 Tour Fujikura Tour Platform 26.3 73g | taylormade.gif 2i Rescue 11 |  3i HiBore Hybrid |  710 MB |  Wedge Works 48/06 |  cg12 52/08  | vokey.gifSpin Milled 56/11 | nike.gifSV Tour 60/10 | cameron.gif Studio Select Newport 2 34" |

rangefinder : LR550

If he is hitting his irons better than his hybrid go with the 3 iron. I used a 3 iron up until a year ago and switched to a hybrid because i hit it better. If he feels he hits irons better then hybrids, and you can tell by watching him play, go with the 3-L set.
Driver......... R9 Supertri 9.5* - Project X 6.5
FWY Wood.. MP Titanium 15* - Project X 6.0
Irons........... MP 68 3-PW - Project X 6.0
Wedges....... xFT 52.09 56.16
................... Tour 59.06Putter.......... Studio Select Squareback Ball............. ProV1x Supporting Project X One 330...

or some of us actually do have a steep angle of attack making it easier to hit irons than it would for us to hit hybrids. also hybrids are genuinely not as good for shot making because they are made for the average hacker, not the single digit golfer who can handle a 3 iron. they are made for people with flat swings who need help getting the ball in that air. dont get me wrong, there great for the most people but what you call fooling themselves is actually just realization that people might not have the right swing for a hybrid. i have tried them and i just dont have the right swing so i stick with a 3 iron. im not fooling myself, i would just rather be able to take the swing iv knows since i started playing golf then change my swing for possibly 5 more yards.

You don't need to change your swing to hit a hybrid. You really shouldn't make it more complicated than it needs to be. A hybrid swing, a wood swing or an iron swing, they should all be the same. It's the ball positioning and lenght of the club that makes the difference. If you feel you have to alter your general way of swinging to hit hybrids you have lost before even trying them out. Coming down on the ball steeply doesn't mean you should stay away from hybrids.

As a 1 hcp you're probably a good ballstriker and should go with whatever makes you feel more comfortable but if you can't hit hybrids it's not the hybrids fault.

I haven't had a 3 iron for a while and dropped my 4 iron for a 5 hybrid last year (I carry a 4 hybrid and 5 hybrid). I took my 4 iron to the range yesterday and was hitting it surprisingly well. I actually found it a little more consistent ball flight and direction wise. But, my hybrid is still easier to make solid contact with. Mainly, because of the difference in shaft length I believe. Since I have a slot open in the bag, I think I'm going to bring the 4 iron along for the ride for a while.

3 iron, yes. It's my 200 yard club, especially useful on long par 3s. Seems that I play a ton of course with par 3s right around 200 yds. 2 iron enters the bag on windy days - most frequently in the fall and when playing lynks courses - replacing the 7 wood.

In a staff blue  Aerolite III

Razr Hawk 10.5* (BB 63 S)
Orig Steelhead 4W 16.8* (F)
Orig Steelhead 7W 20* (M-10)

JPX-800 Pro 4-pw (XP S300)

MP-T Blk Ni 51.06, MP-T Blk Ni 56.14, MP-T Blk Ni 58.10

Bettinardi BC-1 (34")

TM TP Black

My Titleist CB.690s came with a 3 iron but I haven't even put it in my bag. I starting using a Ping 21* hybrid when I bought my AP1s (4-GW) three years ago. The 21* hybrid is good for a 200 yard draw when I hit it. I need to take the 3 iron with me tomorrow and put it in play.

DLX cart bag...white/red

R1
913F 15*

913H 19*

G25s 4 iron - U wedge

CG 14 Black Pearl 56* -  60*

... KOMBI 35" 

...ProV1

also hybrids are genuinely not as good for shot making because they are made for the average hacker, not the single digit golfer who can handle a 3 iron. they are made for people with flat swings who need help getting the ball in that air.

I've seen enough hybrids on the Tour that I don't entirely buy this line of reasoning. It's a different club that apparently golfers with far better ability than any of us opt to use in some cases, so I would be very hesitant to declare them as clubs made for the "average hacker."

You don't need to change your swing to hit a hybrid. You really shouldn't make it more complicated than it needs to be. A hybrid swing, a wood swing or an iron swing, they should all be the same. It's the ball positioning and lenght of the club that makes the difference.

Perhaps the swings should be the same in some sense, but in practice they're different. If the ball position and length of the club are the same, then the swing plane and impact point are different, as is the feeling and view at setup, so it's really not as simple as "use the same swing." You can't, you have to modify aspects of the swing to suit the clubs.

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

You don't need to change your swing to hit a hybrid. You really shouldn't make it more complicated than it needs to be. A hybrid swing, a wood swing or an iron swing, they should all be the same. It's the ball positioning and lenght of the club that makes the difference. If you feel you have to alter your general way of swinging to hit hybrids you have lost before even trying them out. Coming down on the ball steeply doesn't mean you should stay away from hybrids.

no im just saying that even tho you think people are fooling themselves some of us genuinely dont need a hybrid

I've seen enough hybrids on the Tour that I don't entirely buy this line of reasoning. It's a different club that apparently golfers with far better ability than any of us opt to use in some cases, so I would be very hesitant to declare them as clubs made for the "average hacker."

they actually are made for the average golfer. tour pros use them because they need toi get the ball up in the air faster making them better for the average golfer because most golfers have problems getting their long irons to the optimal launch angle so the hybrids just fix that for them. atleast the hybrids we buy. you have to special order the tour issue ones if you can even get your hands on them

|callaway.gif X460 Tour Fujikura Tour Platform 26.3 73g | taylormade.gif 2i Rescue 11 |  3i HiBore Hybrid |  710 MB |  Wedge Works 48/06 |  cg12 52/08  | vokey.gifSpin Milled 56/11 | nike.gifSV Tour 60/10 | cameron.gif Studio Select Newport 2 34" |

rangefinder : LR550

no im just saying that even tho you think people are fooling themselves some of us genuinely dont need a hybrid

in ireland it's pretty windy so long irons are a must to keep the ball down.

I find hybrids go as high as my 7/8 iron yes it's good for getting the ball to stop quickly but I don't want that kind of ball-flight.

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Wood - sam snead persimmon 2 wood (for windy days)
Hybrid burner tour launch 20* stiff flex.
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

When looking for equipment, some people look at their weaknesses and others at their strengths. I had a lot of success over the years with a 2-iron, and still use on windy days, but I found a hybrid that was easier to hit and offered the same control. Do I "need" the hybrid in the mix? Maybe not, but every time out I find it's getting a lot of use even though my 2-iron play has been really solid this year. Perhaps they compliment each other!?!?

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

What I see is that mostly the hybrids are used by the pro's in the rough ..... instead of the risk of closing a long iron in the long grass. And of course (don't forget this) the pro's are a important part of the manufactor's marketing machine ..... when they hit a supershot with a hybrid on sunday, thousands of hybrids are sold on the next opening day at the shops !!!

Cal Razr Hawk 10.5 | TM Superfast 3W | Adams Idea Pro Black 20 | MP-68 3-PW | TW9 50/06 + 58/12 | Ram Zebra Putter

• Administrator
I still carry a 3-iron. I have one fairway metal (3-wood) and one hybrid (5-wood/2-iron type).

I've yet to find a hybrid that I can hit quite as low as the 3-iron when I want to really just hit a low runner. It's a specialty club I almost never need to use, and I can hit the 3-iron plenty high off a tee (on a par three), so I'm not giving up anything by having it.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 5034 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!