IGNORED

Does your home course have fairway bunkers?

Note: This thread is 4685 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Does your home course have fairway bunkers?

• Yes
    • No

Just wondering. Mine does.

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

We've got a bunch of them.  As there are few big trees lining the fairways, sand and water are the real hazards. Most of the sand has high banks which don't allow you to go for the green with your 2nd shot, so you really have to steer clear of them.  Plus, for some reason, the grounds crew thinks they should be fluffed up like greenside bunkers, which makes it tough to get solid contact.

Mines got a few strategically placed fairway bunkers. They really piss me off when I get in them though. Not having to get out of them, more the fact that they caught my drive or force me to go around them or over them… Its mental…

In my Ogio bag.

Titleist 910D2 driver, Adams irons & hybrid, Callaway wedges & a Nike Method putter.

And a yellow ball.

The great irony of life: "If nobody gets out alive, what's holding you back!?"

The first is clearly in play off the first tee.  There's also a big one on #5 (although if you're in it, it has saved you from going out of bounds) and several on #7.  Then you don't see one until #15, and one of my favorite shots of all time came after hitting into that bunker (two to get out, then a 5-iron to less than a foot to save bogey) and another big one on #18.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Several at mine. Since I'm a lefty most of them don't give me too much pause since they are generally opposite of my flaws/tendencies.

Hole 3 (par 4) one setup on the left as a risk/reward for trying to cut the dogleg about 265ish to carry from the blue tees. Plenty of fairway to miss it right.

Hole 4 (par 4) left side of the hole from about 190 yards (from blue tees) to past the green is water, right side of the hole around 210ish up to the green is a series of 3 fairway side bunkers with big hills to the right of them, then cartpath, then yards OB/Houses. Guesstimate it's barely 30 yards of fairway between bunkers are water.

Hole 9 (par 4) Dogleg right, all right side is water, waste trees etc, green is a peninsula type setup. If you cut the dogleg (no problem from blues) but don't go far enough right you can end up in the sand at the far end of the dogleg.

Hole 13 (long par 4) one on right side about 260-270 down from blues. Plenty of fairway to miss it.

Hole 14 (par 5) One on left and right of the fairway that could be in play off a second of three shots in the green. Pretty wide fairway but it is downhill and they are on the edges of some gentle curves.

Some of what would technicaly be considered greenside stretch far enough down one side or the other in front of the green you might consider them fairway too.

My home course only has one, and its on hole ten. It is on a par 5 and is in play from the tee shot. With the tree lined fairways surrounding it, if you're in it, its pretty much a guaranteed short punch out to the side.

In My Bag: Nike SQ Dymo Str8 fit driver Nike SQ 13* 3 wood Nickent 3dx 20* hybrid Wilson Pi5 irons 3-PW Cleveland CG 12 52* Nike VR Pro Forged Wedge 56* & 60* Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II Putter

Yes...

The sand is very soft and so, if you fly your ball in one in the air, they can be very penal. There are only 5 or 6...but if you hit your ball in one...you're dead.

My favorite set is on #7. 7 is a short-ish par 5 that, despite playing uphill and upwind, is reachable in 2 for me if I hit it in the fairway or get a decent lie off the fairway. But, at 250 there are bunkers on either side of the fairway. They've turned a hole that should be an automatic 4 into a 6 or 7 for me a few times...especially on the 'hook' side of the fairway. When I'm driving it poorly, I will occasionally hit 3 wood or hybrid off the tee and come up short of them...then try to bomb the 2nd shot knowing that it's an easy wedge up-and-down if/when I come up short.

Current Gear Setup: Driver: TM R9 460, 9.5, Stiff - 3W: TM R9, 15, stiff - Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Black, 18, stiff - Irons: Callaway X Forged 09, 3-PW, PX 5.5 - SW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 54.14 - LW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 60.12 - Putter: PING Redwood Anser, 33in.

Yup, we have fairway bunkers.  They are usually pretty packed-down though, so its not big deal.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

We don't have too many but the ones that are there, are strategically placed. Number two is a par 5 from an elevated tee and the whole at about 200 yards angles left a little bit. There is woods lining the hole so if you can hit about 200 carry you can go over the trees, however, just off the fairway on the left there is a bunker at about 210 yards but you can't see it from the tee as it's behind the trees. That's probably the worst one. We have 6 holes with fairway bunkers. Our course is currently moving to much better sand as of now I won't hit out of them if I go into them because of small stones, bad on the clubs. I am hoping to avoid them this year..lol, but at least if I go into one it will be more reasonable to get out of.

We have them but they are few in number. The two that I get into all the time are on hole 5 which has a fairway bunker that is 100 yards long (no I am not kidding). It runs down the left side of the hole and I am in there probably 50% of the rounds I play. The second one is across a creek on hole 7 which is a par 5. It is a small one but appears strategically placed to screw me.

Like BillinGA (since we have the same home course).  I find myself in the bunker on number 7 every freaking time I play it.  Larry Nelson knew what he was doing by placing it where he did.

Yep:
1: right side from about 225-265 yards off the tee

5: left and right of the dogleg
7: left and right
9: left and right of dogleg left
12: right of dogleg right
15: left and right

In my Titleist 2014 9.5" Staff bag:

Cobra Bio+ 9* Matrix White Tie X  - Taylormade SLDR 15* ATTAS 80X - Titleist 910H 19* ATTAS 100X - Taylormade '13 TP MC 4-PW PX 6.5 - Vokey TVD M 50* DG TI X100 - Vokey SM4 55 / Vokey SM5 60* DG TI S400 - Piretti Potenza II 365g

Of my 3 regular courses, my most regular one does not, but the other two do. One has them on about half the par-4/par5s, and the other only has a couple (two, I think).

"Golf is an entire game built around making something that is naturally easy - putting a ball into a hole - as difficult as possible." - Scott Adams

Mid-priced ball reviews: Top Flight Gamer v2 | Bridgestone e5 ('10) | Titleist NXT Tour ('10) | Taylormade Burner TP LDP | Taylormade TP Black | Taylormade Burner Tour | Srixon Q-Star ('12)

Originally Posted by Double Bogey

Like BillinGA (since we have the same home course).  I find myself in the bunker on number 7 every freaking time I play it.  Larry Nelson knew what he was doing by placing it where he did.

I thought they were going to name that bunker after myself since I am in it so often. Every time I try to aim a little more right I then pull it even more severely right. The last three rounds though I have missed it.

Originally Posted by pope1086

My home course only has one, and its on hole ten. It is on a par 5 and is in play from the tee shot. With the tree lined fairways surrounding it, if you're in it, its pretty much a guaranteed short punch out to the side.

Two Rivers?

Yes, quite a few actually. I try to avoid them at all costs because I am horrible out of fairway bunkers. Green side bunkers? I feel like I am better out of them than off the green in the rough some times.

2013 Goal:

Single digit handicap

Note: This thread is 4685 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!