IGNORED

am i too old to play golf???

ladiesman217
Note: This thread is 4756 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

hey all the name is scooter, i am 18 years old born in 92. i have golfed a few tims in the past but with friends, we just goofed off a lot and didnt really play seriousley. i have a buddy who plays golf on the university golf team and i just figuired i want to make a university sport team real bad. the only other sport im OK in would be hockey and lord nos the kids on the varsity team are ex whl and junior players which i could never amount to (i only played local rep hockey). so golf is my last chance and i watched the masters tournamint and i really like the swagger of the golfers and the sport. so i want to become extremely involved. starting next week my exams are over and i will head home so i have about 4 months to golf as much as i want to. its only my 1st year in university so i still have maybe 2 or 3 years to make the golf team. but the big question

IS IT POSSABLE

pls be harsh guys the last thing i want to do is have some nice guy tell me "u can do wutever ur heart amounts to" cus if that were true then id be on my way to the nhl rigt now. which aint happenin any time soon, so tell me the TRUTH please. is it possable!!! to be good at golf within 2-3 years!!!!! and on a more projected note is it possible to make the pro league starting at 18 years old???

and what gear should i get?? my buddy says ping but i dont want to dish a 1000$ on golf clubs when i have no knowlage. i was thinking to get just a driver, a 7 iron, and a puter to start. any suggestions

and pls pls pls be HONEST about the whole thing. i really dont want to devote my time and effert only to find out im the worst kid to try out on the team. if 18 is too late to start then let me know straight forward so i can move on with my other dreams, thank you!!!!

PGA, NHL, NFL, NBA, MLB...same story.  The odds of you learning to play golf with a starter set in 4 months and making a college team are unrealistic.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

You should put al l your available time working on your spelling

• Upvote 2

Driver Wishon 919THI 4 Wood Pure Fit w Accuflex

Ping Rapture hybrid Irons Wishon 770 CFE with Apollo Humps regular Gripmaster rubber grips 4-aw Wedges Ping MB 56 Ping Eye 2 Lob &nbsp ;Mentor Quad putter gripmaster gator grip

Bantam chipper leather grip

Everyone has dreams about playing anything well, and making it to the top, but there are no shortcuts. Gotta pay your dues, or in this case, gotta hit a ton of balls. The devotion it takes to be good in golf in a short time is beyond your imagination. I started seriously about less than three years ago, and went from hitting 100+ to hitting in the 70s, but I spent every day at the range, and spent a grip on lessons and equipment. Yep, its possible, but I wouldnt waste your college years just so you can 'make the team.' But then again, if you truly wanted it, you'd take my words as a challenge. Oh and Pings are the best and cheapest starter clubs. My first set was the Ping Zing 2. Ebay. 175 bucks.

Titleist 910D2 8.5° Diamana 'ahina 80 S
Titleist 909F3 3W 13° Diamana D83 S, Titleist 910f 5W 19° Fubuki Ax 80X
Taylormade RAC MB TP 3-PW Irons DG S300, Callaway Jaws 54° and 60°
Titleist Futura putter, Taylormade TP5 balls

Originally Posted by weavej2

You should put all your available time working on your spelling

I agree ... education 1st ... seems its needed.

Mark Boyd of the Clan Boyd
"Retired in my Dreams"

If you are serious, you can get a set of perfectly good used clubs from several sources, Ebay is one, for under $200.  Spend the money on lessons.  All the practice in the world is useless if you don't know what you're doing.  If you have some native talent then it's possible to become a good player with a couple of years of devoted work.  Don't expect too much too soon, and don't expect it to be easy.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by ladiesman217

how about in 3 years

Then you go from unrealistic to highly unlikely.  Like the others have said, golf is a tough game and to get a someone who basically has never played ready to compete on a college level would be some serious hard work.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

It's not too late to become a pro, but might be too late to make your college team.  Watching the Majors and deciding you want to be a pro golfer is like watching the Super Bowl and deciding you want to play football in the NFL.  You're seeing all the glory and none of the guts, dedication and hard work it took to get there.

IMO you're making too many leaps in logic, you don't even know if you like playing the game, as your post indicates the decision to become a pro golfer came from not being able to make it in the NHL and watching The Masters.  Rent a set of clubs and go play a round for real.  If you're used to hockey, you may not even like the slow pace of golf.  If you do like it, you can buy a starter set, get some lessons, and see how things go from there.

Joe Paradiso

hey all the name is scooter, i am 18 years old born in 92. i have golfed a few tims in the past but with friends, we just goofed off a lot and didnt really play seriousley. i have a buddy who plays golf on the university golf team and i just figuired i want to make a university sport team real bad. the only other sport im OK in would be hockey and lord nos the kids on the varsity team are ex whl and junior players which i could never amount to (i only played local rep hockey). so golf is my last chance and i watched the masters tournamint and i really like the swagger of the golfers and the sport. so i want to become extremely involved. starting next week my exams are over and i will head home so i have about 4 months to golf as much as i want to. its only my 1st year in university so i still have maybe 2 or 3 years to make the golf team. but the big question

IS IT POSSABLE

pls be harsh guys the last thing i want to do is have some nice guy tell me "u can do wutever ur heart amounts to" cus if that were true then id be on my way to the nhl rigt now. which aint happenin any time soon, so tell me the TRUTH please. is it possable!!! to be good at golf within 2-3 years!!!!! and on a more projected note is it possible to make the pro league starting at 18 years old???

and what gear should i get?? my buddy says ping but i dont want to dish a 1000$ on golf clubs when i have no knowlage. i was thinking to get just a driver, a 7 iron, and a puter to start. any suggestions

and pls pls pls be HONEST about the whole thing. i really dont want to devote my time and effert only to find out im the worst kid to try out on the team. if 18 is too late to start then let me know straight forward so i can move on with my other dreams, thank you!!!!

I think your bud on the golf team would be better suited to answer your question than any of us.

:titleist: :scotty_cameron:
915D3 / 712 AP2 / SC Mont 1.5

IS IT POSSABLE

Golf is something that takes years to get good at.  You do hear of the occasional person who picks up golf and is a scratch player within a year, but thats not the norm.  I would say that you could become good at golf in a few years if you work at it every day and take lessons.

However, golf is something that you truly have to love in order to get to that point.  If you want to take it up just to make a school team, IMO you might as well move on to something else now.  Golf will chew you up and spit you out if you arent 100% heart and soul committed to it.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

Your motivation to play golf seems to be unusual.

Sounds as if you don't have any real intetest in the game.

Move on to something else, but make sure that it doesn't involve writing, because your spelling is an absolute disgrace.

On the other hand, yes, you could pick up some clubs and be playing in the pro league by the time you're 23.

It isn't really even that difficult. Just hit the white ball into the hole.

The minimum you could expect to earn is $2 million per your (not counting endorsements) and you get lots of chicks and free stuff.

• Upvote 1

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Well it depends on the university first of all, because if its a DI or DII, forget about it, it won't happen, because you need experience in tournaments and proof besides score, that you're good enough to play university golf.  DIII, possibly, but realistically, not at all.  As others have said, you don't sound motivated at all to play golf, and golf is not a cheap sport to play, especially in college, when you have other expenses.  When in college, there isn't enough time to get good at golf while doing school work.  I'm in college right now as well, DII school, and long story made short I didn't make my golf team for many reasons.  But, when I try to play on my own, my school work suffers.  Even if you devote summers to practicing, you need more than that to get good at golf.  I'd say just have fun and enjoy the game.

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

Originally Posted by phillyk

Well it depends on the university first of all, because if its a DI or DII, forget about it, it won't happen, because you need experience in tournaments and proof besides score, that you're good enough to play university golf.  DIII, possibly, but realistically, not at all.  As others have said, you don't sound motivated at all to play golf, and golf is not a cheap sport to play, especially in college, when you have other expenses.  When in college, there isn't enough time to get good at golf while doing school work.  I'm in college right now as well, DII school, and long story made short I didn't make my golf team for many reasons.  But, when I try to play on my own, my school work suffers.  Even if you devote summers to practicing, you need more than that to get good at golf.  I'd say just have fun and enjoy the game.

What about an on-line college?  Being a virtual golfer has to be easier to learn than the real thing.

• Upvote 1

I think it's possible, but I think it will be very hard and will take some natural coordination and athleticism to get good enough in that time frame.

I starting golfing in late May of 2009 and this May(23rd to be exact) will begin my 3rd season of golfing. I had never picked up a club or even stepped foot on a golf course before May 2009. Got hooked and played 30 times in 2009 and 140 time last year in 2010. I made my high school golf team and lettered while shooting a 39 in my 1st varsity match. Averaged about a 42 for nine holes during the season and I'm hoping to average better than a 41 and shoot most of my rounds in the 30's(70's for 18).

What I'm getting at is it can be done, but it's going to be difficult and frustating at times(it was for me) but I'd defintely give it a shot.

Career Bests:

9 Holes--37 @ The Fairways at Arrowhead-Front(+2)

18 Holes--80 @ Carroll Meadows Golf Course(+9)

Home Course:

1) The Fairways at Arrowhead

2) Mayfair Country Club

The hate is strong in this thread.

On first read, it sounds like your reason to wanting to become good at golf is to 'go pro', be famous, money, etc. It's as if the dollar signs, women, and fame are flashing before your eyes.

However, of course if would be possible. Only with a true love of the game though, not a love for future fame.

After you've practiced for 4 months in a row, 10 hours a day, are you still gonna want to do it the next day.

For the summer, why don't you just play the game. See if you enjoy it. If you love it, practice for a couple hours a day. If you love that, increase it. Not to become famous, but because you enjoy the game and you want to become better than you were yesterday.

Originally Posted by chris_284

The hate is strong in this thread.

On first read, it sounds like your reason to wanting to become good at golf is to 'go pro', be famous, money, etc. It's as if the dollar signs, women, and fame are flashing before your eyes.

However, of course if would be possible. Only with a true love of the game though, not a love for future fame.

After you've practiced for 4 months in a row, 10 hours a day, are you still gonna want to do it the next day.

For the summer, why don't you just play the game. See if you enjoy it. If you love it, practice for a couple hours a day. If you love that, increase it. Not to become famous, but because you enjoy the game and you want to become better than you were yesterday.

I dont think its hate so much as its people bring honest with the OP and telling him that his reasons for picking up golf arent the best.  Golf isnt something that you can be good at, much less great unless you love it and turn it into a lifestyle.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

Note: This thread is 4756 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!