IGNORED

Do yellow balls perform the same as white?

Note: This thread is 4302 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I like the yellow ones. It's easier to see them

My Bag:

Burner 9.5

X 3&5 Woods

DCI Gold 3- PW(48*) + 52* Vokey wedge

56* sand wedge

Cushin Putter

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted by Laws of Woo

Bridgestone does...

I recognize bridgestone as nothing more than a water magnent

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I tried yellow balls and did not like them. I didnt find them any easier to see in the sky, and they hide worse in the deep rough than white balls do, and I find them akward to look at on a tee.. They don't feel any different, but for me, if it ain't white, it ain't right.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Titleist 913 D2 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya ATTAS 3 80 w/ Harrison Shotmaker & Billy Bobs afternarket Hosel Adaptor (get this if you don't have it for your 913)
Wilson Staff Ci-11 4-GW (4I is out of the bag for a hybrid, PW and up were replaced by Edel Wedges)
TaylorMade RBZ 5 & 3 Fairway Woods

Cobra Baffler T-Rail 3 & 4 Hybrids

Edel Forged 48, 52, 56, 60, and 64* wedges (different wedges for different courses)

Seemore Si-4 Black Nickel Putter

I haven't tried any of the new yellow balls but I can't believe that the difference between a white dye and a yellow dye in the compound that makes up the outer layer of a golf ball would make any difference at all.  If it did there would be no reason to play the color that underperformed. I'm sticking with white for now because it's what is most comfortable to my eye.  When I go to the range where there's a bin with both colors I'll routinely fill the bucket up with white rather than yellow balls simply because it's the color that I play.  Since I'm a little bit compulsive I prefer to practice with the same color that I play.

I played a yellow ball earlier this year, and they are terrific. I found them much easier to follow and to spot in the rough. Can't see how they would perform differently in terms of distance, etc. Seemed the same to me.

In my Sun Mountain 14 Way Stand Bag:

Driver - Ping G30 10.5* : Fairway - Ping G30 18* : Hybrids - Titleist 915H 21* & 915 H 24* : Irons - Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 5 - GW : Wedges, Vokey 54.14, Vokey 58.12 : Putter - Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 or Ping Craz-E-R  : Ball - Bridgestone B330RX, Cart - Cliqgear 3.5

A few months back I found a yellow Srixon in the weeds on about the 4th hole......I used it and played one of the best final 14 I had played.  so I buy them now and love the yellow ones simply because as of now, no one else that I have played with uses them so I dont have to ask which ball is mine.

There is an ad showing "white tennis balls" for those of you that are old enough to remember them.  Maybe the day will come when a white golf ball is a relic.?????

Originally Posted by meenman

I recognize bridgestone as nothing more than a water magnet

After my last round, in which I gave the new 2012 B330 balls a go, I'm inclined to agree with that comment. But not just water, the sand too.

In the Ogio Chamber Cart Bag w/ Ogio X4 Synergy Push Cart: Driver: Adams Super LS 7.5* w/ Harrison Striper H2 60x Fairway: Adams Tight Lies 16* Fairway Wood w/ Harrison Mugen Black 70x Irons: Adams Idea Pro Black CB1 Irons w/ Project X 6.0 Flighted Steel Shafts (3-PW) Wedges: Yururi Raw Gekku w/ Project X 6.0 Flighted Steel Shafts (53, 57, & 61) Putter: Never Compromise Gambler Straight Ball: Srixon Z-Star/Z-Star XV Tour Yellow GPS: Garmin Approach G6 Shoes: True Linkswear

You guys don't like the Bridgestone 330S?  Seems like a decent ball to me.  I've won quite a few in some golfnow thursday scrambles and I don't give them away.  I give crappy balls away.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Originally Posted by bplewis24

You guys don't like the Bridgestone 330S?  Seems like a decent ball to me.  I've won quite a few in some golfnow thursday scrambles and I don't give them away.  I give crappy balls away.

The B330S is a great ball. Head to head as good as any tour ball out there for me.. I personally don't care for yellow though.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by sean_miller

The B330S is a great ball. Head to head as good as any tour ball out there for me.. I personally don't care for yellow though.

I love the B330S, I usually save them for tournaments and courses that are "nicer" and worth a lost ball.  Not really a yellow ball person. But, when i find them, I'll use it.

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Not an engineer or chemist, but seems to me that adding that much pigment to cover material must have some effect - but I can't tell any difference whatsoever. They probably have to add just as much white pigment in to make whites, too.

Found an orange Bridgestone e6 a week back and played it for the last 6 holes of my round. It was excellent. Like a bottle rocket in the air and was very easy to follow. Long and straight. Didn't hit it in the rough once, so not sure how findable it would be in heavy grass... Wanted to buy some, but no one has them except Edwin Watts which is 25 mi. from my house and always retail+. Some on ebay, but shipping is a killer.

being "colorblind" to an extent limits the balls i can play. i was given a dozen orange balls when i was younger just starting to learn how to golf and lost them as fast as i could tee them up. my eye sight saw the orange as the same color as the grass thus camouflaging the ball from me. needless to say i havent purchased anything but a white ball in my life and will (out of necessity) continue to do so. im ok with it though, the Titleist velocity's are awesome just as they are.

Yellow balls leave a more apparent mark on the top of my driver after I whiff.  That's the only difference I can really tell.  Besides the fact that they're weird, like playing baseball with an orange ball or hockey with a green puck.

Originally Posted by 518TitleistX

being "colorblind" to an extent limits the balls i can play. i was given a dozen orange balls when i was younger just starting to learn how to golf and lost them as fast as i could tee them up. my eye sight saw the orange as the same color as the grass thus camouflaging the ball from me. needless to say i havent purchased anything but a white ball in my life and will (out of necessity) continue to do so. im ok with it though, the Titleist velocity's are awesome just as they are.

With all due respect, I bet watching Hunter Mahan on the tour is really strange for you.

Originally Posted by TJBam

Quote:

Originally Posted by 518TitleistX

With all due respect, I bet watching Hunter Mahan on the tour is really strange for you.

He can only see Rickie Fowler's face and arms floating down the fairway.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by Goonsidious

I think Dick's Sporting Goods has a pack of 6 yellow balls. Spongebob Squarepants to be exact.

Enjoy.

I have actually played those as a joke. Not exactly a bad ball, but let's just call them more of a novelty product.

As for the yellow vs white debate, I've always found yellow balls to be harder. Granted, I never really shell out for Srixon or Bridgestone, but the same models in Top Flite have a very noticeable difference.

L4V 9* Stiff flex

3W-PW Reg Flex

RBZ Clone 54* Apollo Black Steel Reg Flex

Custom Bionik 504 set for crossgrip

Cart Bag or  Stand Bag

Z Star XV or  TP Black LDP to show off

Originally Posted by sean_miller

He can only see Rickie Fowler's face and arms floating down the fairway.

not going to lie, a bright vibrant orange is truly obnoxious to look at.

Note: This thread is 4302 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!